Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have the base model SFS. So, I went to an all day event this past Sunday & left my parking lights on. I don't use the parking lights mode, but must have moved it into that position by mistake. Anyway, while the headlights & DRL go off automatically, the parking lights do not.

Guess who had a dead battery at the end of the day? Yep.

So, now, I am shopping for a portable jump starter to keep in the car. Does anyone have experience with these or any recommendations? If I were to get one that says it can jump up to 2.5 engines, is that realistically going to start my 2.4?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I bought a dbpower 1200a - claims it can start a 6.0l engine. I'd assume that the peak power ratings are questionable so I'd buy extra capacity, mine was $69 on amazon, it's compact with various cables for laptops, phones, 12 v appliances.

Reactions: DaveMD1820

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Have heard there are some models that can detect the polarity and prevent the reverse hook up
And there by saving one the hassle of "****" ing up their ride

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have used a Tagital 20,000 mah one that I ordered from Walmart.com. It's basically $40. I have used it to jump start a V8 pickup and it did it just fine. I was impressed enough by the one I had that I ordered one for my other vehicle as well as one to carry on my ATV's. I think in any case, it is very important to make sure you keep the power pack fully charged. I have had one in the past (different brand) that when I let it die, it wouldn't take a charge from that point on. Here is the link to the one I bought. Also, if you get this one, mark the case somehow so you don't drop the power pack out of it when you open the zipper. I ended up storing mine in a GPS storage case. It also comes with a variety of cables to charge other devices. Good luck in your search.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tagital-...r-Engine-Battery-Charger-Power-Bank/357080475

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I bought a Suaoki D21 for around $60 on E-bay: https://www.suaoki.com/jump-starters--accessories.html - their G7 and U10 look good also.

So far, I've only used it as a portable charger for electronics.

Have heard there are some models that can detect the polarity and prevent the reverse hook up
And there by saving one the hassle of "****" ing up their ride
Correct - and the "smart charging" circuit is in the cables. In theory, you could buy the cables separately and a cheaper charger, but it usually doesn't save you any money doing that.

I think in any case, it is very important to make sure you keep the power pack fully charged.
Yes, and you need to be careful with this. The D21 apparently only shows surface charge. I had checked it and it showed 100% but as soon as I connected a device to it for charging, it dropped to 78%. Probably still would have started a car, but ...

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I have used a Tagital 20,000 mah one that I ordered from Walmart.com. It's basically $40. I have used it to jump start a V8 pickup and it did it just fine.
Good to hear it worked when needed - I'm always suspicious on the claims made that about the starting capabilites and have to assume the engines were already warmed up , starting a cold engine in 0 degree weather can require a bit more power, so best to overbuy is my recommendation.

these things are pretty inexpensive as well as compact.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Good to hear it worked when needed - I'm always suspicious on the claims made that about the starting capabilites and have to assume the engines were already warmed up , starting a cold engine in 0 degree weather can require a bit more power, so best to overbuy is my recommendation.

these things are pretty inexpensive as well as compact.
The engine wasn't warmed up, it had been driven to work and sat until a little after lunch, about 5 hours of sitting. It was about 70 degrees outside at the time. I ended up having to jump start this particular truck several times over the next week until he got a new battery.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for all of the comments. So far, I think this one is my front runner:

https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-1080...55011,p_72:1248861011,p_36:-5000,p_89:DBPOWER
Not saying one way or the other as to whether this is a solid unit, but I get suspicious when I see items with 5 star reviews. There's a website called Fakespot that you can use to look at Amazon items and it analyzes their reviews. More often than not, 5 star reviewed items are deemed to have unreliable reviews. This item falls into this category. It doesn't necessarily mean the item is substandard, but someone made the effort to prop it up with fake reviews. Makes you wonder.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not saying one way or the other as to whether this is a solid unit, but I get suspicious when I see items with 5 star reviews. There's a website called Fakespot that you can use to look at Amazon items and it analyzes their reviews. More often than not, 5 star reviewed items are deemed to have unreliable reviews. This item falls into this category. It doesn't necessarily mean the item is substandard, but someone made the effort to prop it up with fake reviews. Makes you wonder.....
Yes, I often wonder about the validity of the ratings. Good point.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe limited
203 Posts
Its simple to weed out fake reviews on Amazon but certainly not foolproof. Amazon shows with the "verified purchase" tag that the reviewer actually bought the item.
For this product 85 positive reviews out of 101 were given by verified purchasers. I tend to usually read all the 1 &2 * reviews and question and answers to get a more positive feel for what I am considering.

·
Registered
669 Posts

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts