Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so, I have an 03 Hyundai Accent (not sure the engine size) it is a manual with no AC.
The car was sitting for along time and the battery went to crap, so I had some friends help jump start it.....Well they initially put the jumper cables on the wrong terminals and when I started the car the wipers started going and the lights in the dash were flashing. So the car ran for awhile and then it died, I got a new battery thinking that it was the battery that got ruined. I ran the car with the new battery and noticed the radio and the heater were not working, wouldn't even come on. Also there was a light on the dash (a small red battery) that came on and stayed on. I thought the alternator must be bad, replaced it and the same problem exists, the battery doesn't get charged and the car will only run as long as the battery will let it.....
So Im thinking that wires/fuses got blown in the attempt to jump start the car initially. I have replaced all the fuses under the hood and the radio comes on now but only with some words and it will not play....also the red light is still on....So it must be wires...
My question is if this is the case how much would you estimate it would cost....I am not familiar with foreign vehicles whatsoever so Im not sure that I would be able to do the work unless it is as simple as replacing a wiring harness......How serious of a problem might this be?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
QUOTE (NighB @ Apr 26 2010, 09:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317147
Ok so, I have an 03 Hyundai Accent (not sure the engine size) it is a manual with no AC.
The car was sitting for along time and the battery went to crap, so I had some friends help jump start it.....Well they initially put the jumper cables on the wrong terminals and when I started the car the wipers started going and the lights in the dash were flashing. So the car ran for awhile and then it died, I got a new battery thinking that it was the battery that got ruined. I ran the car with the new battery and noticed the radio and the heater were not working, wouldn't even come on. Also there was a light on the dash (a small red battery) that came on and stayed on. I thought the alternator must be bad, replaced it and the same problem exists, the battery doesn't get charged and the car will only run as long as the battery will let it.....
So Im thinking that wires/fuses got blown in the attempt to jump start the car initially. I have replaced all the fuses under the hood and the radio comes on now but only with some words and it will not play....also the red light is still on....So it must be wires...
My question is if this is the case how much would you estimate it would cost....I am not familiar with foreign vehicles whatsoever so Im not sure that I would be able to do the work unless it is as simple as replacing a wiring harness......How serious of a problem might this be?
Reversing the polarity of a DC electrical system (by jump starting) will severely damage everything from the brain box, solid state ignition, computer, and any device which uses diodes, transistors, or capacitors. This includes voltage regulator, motor speed controls, radio, solid state relays, you name it.
DC polarity cannot be reversed for any length of time. You should not even really jump start any car with a computerized ignition or computer control system. Disconnect the battery and charge it instead.
It's best to locate a junk vehicle with good electrical parts and start trading them out. Taking this to a shop will cost you $$$$$$. No, I'm not kidding. It's not likely to be the harness, but it is likely to be ANY or ALL solid state electronic parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
+1 that is a really bad problem to have. You may never find all of the issues that it could have caused. Your best bet would be to trade it, but if that isn't feasible, then I'd definitely agree that your next best option is a donor car with sound electrical connections.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
Have the alternator checked. It might be putting out voltage, but not enough.

hooking up the jumpers wrong wasn't good for you or the donor car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
Sounds like you fried the voltage regulator in the alternator, check the alternator to make sure it is still working properly. if this is what has happened then most likely the system is sending most of the power to the computer as it takes priority over other functions such as the blower motor, wipers ,and even lights and that is why your battery light is on. if you dont check it then you will just keep killing batteries. :thumbsup:
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top