Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Steps to reproduce:
1) Start Car (reproduceable with A/C on & off)
2) Wait for wind-up whine (starts out low, then speeds up, then stops) - I attached MP3 and Wav files in .zip attached so you can hear the noise - recorded on my phone). Similar sound posted by someone else on Youtube (found link on Cargurus site):
. Listen to first six seconds. My sound file has the noise for a slightly longer period.

My car started doing this about a week after purchase. It's been consistently doing this every morning. In high elevation, colder climate the sound is louder and longer. Car's been to service 4 times. Service Trip summary:

1) Returned as cannot reproduce
2) Replaced Starter (even though sound happens After start)
3) Replace belt tensioner
4) Service stop, tech said he would contact his rep - rep said no fix "it's normal- related to component in timing chain". (Huh?)

Service tech said he's heard a few of the 2012 Elantra's with this noise. I feel like I have a lemon. Anyone have similar noise and what's been done to fix it?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
If you do some searching in this forum it is a VERY well known occurance you'll find. Don't worry about it, it is completely normal on this car. "All systems go, prepare for launch!"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If you do some searching in this forum it is a VERY well known occurance you'll find. Don't worry about it, it is completely normal on this car. "All systems go, prepare for launch!"
5.4FX4: I searched the 2011 - Elantra forum and only found rattle and click noises. This is a start up whine that sounds like bearing noise or belt noise. Are you able to post a link to elsewhere in the forum that has this noise. The rattle is not a concern, it's the wind-up noise that's worrisome. Here's another video on Youtube that has more easily detectable noise:

·
Registered
292 Posts
the first vid posted sounds normal startup launch noise that most if not all of us have. The 2nd video is way way longer and does sound to good....no idea whats up with that one :confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the first vid posted sounds normal startup launch noise that most if not all of us have. The 2nd video is way way longer and does sound to good....no idea whats up with that one :confused:

Yep, the longer, louder version in video 2 is closer to what I get every morning (you can hear a bit of it in video 1, but it's about 6 seconds in and not as long. It is disconcerting indeed.

·
Registered
850 Posts
You never knew our Elantras are secretly sleeping jet cars?? COME ON!!!!!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I get that 'wooooop' noise too. Love it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 2013 Elantra does the same thing after 400 miles. I once had a 1985 Dodge Reliant that had the same whine. It turned out that the adjustment of the serpentine belt was too tight (before automatic tensioners) thus pulling down on the overhead cam. That side of the cam was pushing down on its bearing way way too tight. Once I let up of the tension of the belt then the whining noise stopped. Maybe something like that is happening to our cars as well. If that is the case, then surely, the cam and/or the bearing will wear out. This is not good. Can someone on this site investigate if this is the case. Please advise. I hope the Hyundai people reads these posts and pass this information to the engineers in order to get a fix.

·
6,836 Posts
Mine doesn't do this most of the time, but from time to time it will. Never thought much of it, but that might have something to do with having been here long enough to have read the other threads on this topic. :beathorse:

All we need now is some wings to sprout from our cars, and we'll have a bona fide jet. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well I think I fixed the whine noise. The serpentine belt for the alternator was way too tight. I loosen 3 bolts (one of the 3 was the adjuster) on the alternator and made the adjustment 5 turns counter clock wise on the long adjuster bolt in order to loosen the belt. I made it so I was able to turn the belt (midway down from alternator) with my fingers a 1/4 turn. Don't forget to retighten the other two bolts when done. Don't touch the 4th bolt on the bottom front of the alternator, it's not necessary to loosen it. The car seems to be more peppy now. When the belt is too tight, that will put a drag on the engine. I'll let you all know if the whine noise comes back. Maybe the mpg will improve as well. However, if the whine noise does come back, then I might have another possible cause. I'll get to that only if the whine noise comes back. I don't want to jump the gun. LOL.

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts
After 1.5 years this car is still too new for me to mess with belts. I enjoy diy maintenance but the only things I plan to mess with are oil, tire rotations, and fluids for the next few years. Aside from a few more fun mods of course.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts