Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I bought a used 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe that I like very much. However it has a serious and frightening problem. When driving in the rain, the steering wheel begins to jerk rapidly back and forth. The steering is responsive and smooth at all other times. We did not notice the problem immediately because we have had such a bad drought here that it has not rained much since we have owned the car. In fact, we had owned the car 3 months before we first encountered the problem. We took it to the dealer and they could find nothing wrong, but it wasn’t raining. We returned to the service department on a rare day when it was actually raining and still the dealer could find nothing wrong. It seems that uneven or bumpy pavement makes it worse. The tires were in good shape when we got the car and are now getting to the point of needing to be replaced but we can’t keep the car as we feel it is unsafe in the rain. Any ideas on a suitable next step?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Having front wheel drive, if the tires don't have proper tread depth you will get twitchy traction in wet conditions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The fact it only happens when it's raining leads me to think you're hydroplaning on puddles. If the water doesn't have a good channel to flow through ( your tire treads ), you ride right over the water which will cause a 'jerky' feeling.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
At the moment, we're in a bit more of a pickle where I am. Hydroplaning? Now there's a joke. If your Santa Fe doesn't include pontoons, you're going nowhere around many areas in several counties in Colorado today. Couldn't even get down to 'work' -- State Patrol had closed off the road. Not sure how my daughter will be getting home. The major intersection near her house is presently looking more like a lake. Good thing her house is up higher.

Anyway - +1 to above comments. If it's just on water that you're having issues, AND you have no unusual tire wear patterns, you're likely either low on tread or the tires you are using have poor tread characteristics for moving water out from under. If you have the original Bridgestones on it, that wouldn't be a surprise either way.

HOWEVER -- check for any serious wear pattern issues. An alignment problem that you may have been ignoring on dry pavement can show up with some pretty squirrely behavior once your traction is reduced significantly due to road conditions.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The tires were in good shape when we got the car and are now getting to the point of needing to be replaced but we can’t keep the car as we feel it is unsafe in the rain. Any ideas on a suitable next step?
How low have you let the tread depth go?

3mm (1/8") is the recommended minimum depth even in legislative areas that have 1.6mm (1/16") legal minimum and frankly anything less than 4mm (5/32") is noticeably inadequate in standing water.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Power streering

Is the PAS pump on a V6 'Gas' engine belt driven? If so then the belt could be 'Shot'. When water gets onto the drive pulley the belt will slip causing the pump to loose drive, this would explain your problem. The fact that you only have the problem in the wet points to this.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Yes, it's belt driven, though if the power steering pump were failing, the thing would drive like a truck (but remain on course, unlike the OP's report) and screech like a banshee. It's all on one big serpentine belt, along with the rest of the goods on the 'front' of the engine.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Steering

Have you found an answer to your jerky steering problem yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My husband and I bought a used 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe that I like very much. However it has a serious and frightening problem. When driving in the rain, the steering wheel begins to jerk rapidly back and forth. The steering is responsive and smooth at all other times. We did not notice the problem immediately because we have had such a bad drought here that it has not rained much since we have owned the car. In fact, we had owned the car 3 months before we first encountered the problem. We took it to the dealer and they could find nothing wrong, but it wasn’t raining. We returned to the service department on a rare day when it was actually raining and still the dealer could find nothing wrong. It seems that uneven or bumpy pavement makes it worse. The tires were in good shape when we got the car and are now getting to the point of needing to be replaced but we can’t keep the car as we feel it is unsafe in the rain. Any ideas on a suitable next step?
I've found my
I've noticed the same with mine after 3 yrs. without issue. Mechanics seem to have lost troubleshooting skills these days,or technology may be moving too fast for them. Looks like we're on our own with this dangerous situation. Goodluck.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Slowgal has one post here and it was nearly 7 yrs ago!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Slowgal has one post here and it was nearly 7 yrs ago!
Yea, an old post, but they were just providing evidence of same problem, probably just worn or crappy tires with poor water evacuation channels.
People just don't realize that an ill designed tread pattern can be dangerous even with new tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts