Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some idiot hauling a trailer scraped my rear bumper near my tire today when backing out of a parking spot. Paint is stripped right into the black plastic. But I don't see any visible dents.

What's it going to take to repair this? I don't care how much it costs. They have insurance and will pay for it but I do want to know what questions to ask the body shop so I know this is done right.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Best way to ensure proper color match is to strip the entire bumper, prep it and re-paint it all. If the other guy's insurance is paying might as well re-do the whole bumper than trying to do the one section where you might not get a perfect color match. I'm gonna guess $200 - $400 depending on body shop's labour rate.

·
Registered
854 Posts
It's not up to the body shop how much of the bumper gets painted, it's the insurance company that pays for it that decides EVERYTHING.

My shop works with several insurance companies and i'm not gonna call people out but in this economy insurance companies are paying for less and less trying to cut all kinds of corners. I got tons of horror stories with different insurance companies that even refuse to pay to paint a whole bumper if part of it was scratched prior the new damage. In other words they pay to fix it but won't shell out the money to paint it!!! It's the worst feeling trying to explain that to customers, customers that have trusted us for years. It's really ridiculous.

The proper procedure is not to strip the whole bumper of paint. Nobody does that and i've never heard of this.

The proper procedure to repair your bumper would be to repair the bumper, primer the spot that was damage, sand, paint and clear coat the whole bumper. There is no need to paint something that already has paint on it, you do however need to clear coat the whole bumper.

First thing you want to do is find a reputable shop and look up their reviews online and ask if they work with the insurance company that is doing your repair. I don't know the law where you live but in FL you have the right to pick your body shop. If you have to go with one of their shops, look them up online first and check out their reviews.

(Edit: you're in fl so you are A-OK! near orlando? pm me!)

Questions I would ask.

1. Ask them if they will take off the bumper to paint it (it needs to be taken off).
2. What is their turn around time.
3. Do they offer a lifetime warranty.
4. What kind of paint will they be using.

Any other questions feel free to ask!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts