Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the manual points to locations to jack up the car, however my floor jack has a fairly flat saddle (more like a small cup). If I try to jack up the car at the recommended location, it dents the pinch weld. There are already many dents on the pinch weld, I think the mechanic I goto has a flat saddle too.

Are there any other suitable locations to jack up the car without the pinch weld?

Is there some sort of adapter I can use?

I find it difficult to jack up the car as I need to be on the very end of the pinch weld inorder to fit both the floor jack and the jack stand in.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I've never had a prob. on the Sonata with using a floor jack when the jack is centered directly under the lift point.

But, that said, you could put a sponge on the jack plate. Or you could make a jig from a two by four if you have any sort of woodworking capability - put a slot in the two four and put that against the lift point. I saw a DIY on the 'net where a guy cut a slot in a hockey puck, or Google "floor jack pinch weld adapter" on the net - lots of them around.

Jack stands, in my opinion, are not only a hassle, but can be dangerous.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (kn5owa @ Oct 3 2010, 06:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360697
I've never had a prob. on the Sonata with using a floor jack when the jack is centered directly under the lift point.

But, that said, you could put a sponge on the jack plate. Or you could make a jig from a two by four if you have any sort of woodworking capability - put a slot in the two four and put that against the lift point. I saw a DIY on the 'net where a guy cut a slot in a hockey puck, or Google "floor jack pinch weld adapter" on the net - lots of them around.

Jack stands, in my opinion, are not only a hassle, but can be dangerous.
I havent had a problem either, although I can see that it is making small dents in the pinch weld. I'm a little surprised that there isnt some sort of adapter available since I assume many people have floor jacks with flat saddles. I guess minor dents in the pinch weld arent a big deal.

so you dont use jack stands at all?
its safer to rely entirely on the floor jack?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (ecar @ Oct 3 2010, 10:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=360774
I'm a little surprised that there isnt some sort of adapter available

so you dont use jack stands at all?
its safer to rely entirely on the floor jack?
Google "floor jack pinch weld adapter" -- lots of adapters available - maybe I'll even buy one

Safety?? Probably pretty safe if it's a full size floor jack -- Problem with jack stands is "where you gonna put 'em?" on cars built like these.

But, then, I only get underneath cars nowadays for short time maintenance stuff.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I let the floor jack hold the weight and put a jackstand under it to catch the car in case the jack fails. Better to cause a little damage under the Sonata than to crush myself!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use a 2x4 about 6 inches long and put it in the floor jack tray to protect the underside of the car from the metal floor jack tray. There are two frame channels near each side of the car that I use to jack up the car. You need to experiment on the exact location to find the balance point letting you jack up both wheels on the same side.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was all set to order a pinch weld adapter for my floor jack when I realized that it was too long for me to fit the floor jack and a jack stand in there.

I've jacked up directly on the pinchweld a couple times and I can already see that the pinch weld is starting to curl over.

What do you typically do? I've seen suggested for different lift points, but I would feel better if it was actually documented in some hyundai documentation.

I thought about the hockey puck idea or a piece of wood, however my saddle is fairly small because I have a "compact" floor jack. the edges of the cup would be supporting the pad, not the flat part. Also, since it is "compact" it is harder to get it too far under the car and still be able to use the lever and access the release valve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts