Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my winter wheels and need to get them on the car before the next snow Friday. On my old beater I would just jack the car up and not care so much about the weak welds on the underside of the car bending however this is a brand new car.

I contacted local tire places and they won't do it because of liability of it not fitting so it looks like I have to do it myself.

It seems like the jack points on the car are a bit on the flimsy side and can only work with the stock jacks without bending some welds on the car. Then even if I do get it up there is no where to put a jack stand.

Has anyone used an aftermarket jack and stands on their car and what was your solution?

Much appreciated.
Neil

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (wacktool @ Jan 6 2011, 11:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=387350
I dont know if this will help or not...

Previous discussion
Thanks, that has some information but it does seem that there is no easy solution. The jack I have at the top definitely isn't made to fit the spots on the sonata so I may have to look into the "hockey puck" approach.

As for the jackstands I have the same problem the guy in that link has, they aren't deep enough so the weld points will be resting on the jack stands and will just bend with the weight of the car. I don't trust using blocks of wood on the jackstand because it's just another piece that can fail.

I thought more people here would have run into this problem.

· Registered
117 Posts
If you're just swapping out wheels one at a time, why even bother with stands? Just jack it up change the wheel and go to the next. Or... talk to your favorite local gas station or tire place, they will probably just swap out the tires in 5 min for a very nominal fee.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (11Sonata @ Jan 6 2011, 11:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=387699
If you're just swapping out wheels one at a time, why even bother with stands? Just jack it up change the wheel and go to the next. Or... talk to your favorite local gas station or tire place, they will probably just swap out the tires in 5 min for a very nominal fee.
I ended up just using the jack that came with the car in my garage since I knew it wouldn't damage the car and it's flat. I had no time to go to a shop with the snow coming today although that would have been ideal. I'll probably get the adapter for my jack in the future and look for jackstands that fit over pinch welds. The stands were for other work under the car.

Snowshoes are on and ready to hit the snow.

· Registered
460 Posts
^^^^^ Not when most dealers don't give a crap and destroy your wheels and lug nuts. The last time I had a dealer rotate my tires, they tightened them with impact gun and had about 400 Lbs of torque on the lug nuts! no thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.