Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I have an ix35 SE only 3,000 kilometers - the air conditioning stopped working after driving about half hour in hot conditions. Even on 4 the air is not blowing strongly

The dealer reacted promptly and told me it was overgassed at factory and drained and re-gassed. Said should be no more problem

Drove for half hour or so today and the blower slowed down again but still seemed to blow cold !

will keep my eye on it on a longer trip - Has anyone experienced similar ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
An overcharge of gas will cut out the compressor on the hi side pressure switch but i don't know what that would have to do with fan speed. Are you sure its not a vac hose leaking causing the vents to partially close when you accelerate.This would give you less air out the vent even though the fan was still spinning ok.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, my new ix35 SE did exactly the same thing. Took it to a dealer and the service dept went over the a/c unit who said all should be good now. It wasn't, so now back at another dealer who says it is the temperature sensor that needs replacing. Being fitted in a few days so I will report back if that has fixed the problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
yes - still a problem with mine - not overgassing - goes back in on Wednesday apparently something with the sensor.

So we'll see how we go after that - will keep informed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys,
This A/C problem is actually on every IX35 SE.
If you take it to your local dealer they should have a trial fix for this issue. I believe it will be a factory recall as it supposedly happens with every single IX35 SE.
It usually happens after a couple of hours of highway driving with A/C on in hot conditions. The only way to stop it is to turn the fan & A/C completely off for at least 20 minutes then it should be fine.. but it will continue to happen until the Hyundai Mechanic takes a look at it and trials this fix they've come up with.
Goodluck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My car went back to service again and the dealer confirmed this was manufacturing issue. They did a temporary fix by shifting the thermistor to a different location but it has made the problem worse.

Any idea when a solution is likely to be found.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep - still a problem - the Service Department moved the sensor seemed OK for a while (short trips) but just came back from a long trip and it stopped working again - will contact the Dealer ASAP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I'm glad I found this forum. I took our ix35 SE on it's first long drive and with only 320kms on the clock I've had the exact same issue. Called service and they said it has too much gas in air con from factory. It's booked in for a service so we will see how it goes but by all accounts on here I can't see it being a quick resolution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok so I dropped my ix35 in to the service centre yesterday. I explained the problem and asked if they have had any others in as I heard it was a common problem. He told me they had one in 3 weeks ago and couldn't fix it. So for some reason I still left my car there and picked it up this morning. The comment on the service invoice was "this is a known concern and we are currently waiting for hmca technical to supply us with a field fix"
We asked him how long hyundai has known about this problem and he said six weeks, so when we bought the car the sales person knew he was putting my family in a car with no air con on a hot day. Great work Hyundai I look forward to seeing how long it takes for your field fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep they moved the sensor and it definitely stayed cooler for longer - but after about 40 minutes went off again.

Took it back in and the Service Manager said Hyundai told them they didn't move the sensor correctly !! so they moved it again - and I'll keep informed if it goes off again

The Service said it will need a new thermister if it does go again !!

·
22,788 Posts
Interesting, and a bit alarming! Obviously a component issue. Which component is the question. Whatever the root cause is, I would like to believe that Hyundai's manufacturing and quality engineers have been alerted and are addressing it. Whether it be with their design group, suppliers, someone. My question to them is this: How much reliability engineering/studies went into this design process, namely, the HVAC system? And what is the permanent fix? Nothing deflates an owner more than repeated visits for the same problem.

Stuff happens. Rational owners understand that and accept it. This is when we believe the warranty will step in and soothe our worries. Ideally, you set a course towards the dealer service department, drive in, get the issue handled, and leave feeling good about everything. Ideally.

Everyone having this problem do me a favor: Post any resolutions you encounter, what the root cause was determined to be, and how well the fix has addressed the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update on our issue
I dropped our IX35 into the service department today. They have attempted a short term repair by adjusting the position of the thermistor by 45 degrees towards the evaporator. After picking it up I gave the AC a good test run on the half hour drive home. It was a 30 degree day and the AC was freezing so fingers crossed the short term fix has long term results.
Of interest Hyundai were kind enough to lend us an i40 for the day, on the trip home the AC was great, however as soon as I left home to go pick up our car I noticed the AC was playing up exactly the same as our one. It was on full and had basically no air coming out. Told the guy at service and he didn't seem interested. I'm not usually one to carry on about an issue but this seems to be more then across just the IX35 range, which I think is very disappointing as I can't see me recommending a new Hyundai to anyone without first warning them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Further to this the gentleman at the service department told me that they have had two cars in since I was last in there (2 weeks) and both these had the short term fix carried out. Just goes to show that there are others out there with the same issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Air Con

I have a new ix35 premium with the same problem. Just returned from France and had to keep turning fan and air con off for a while and open the windows to stop cooking. Mechanics have not established a problem as yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My daughter has a September 2013 ix35, just purchased as ex demo, with this issue. After maybe 1/2 hour use the aircon fails, all the pipes under the hood are frosted over and the system chokes until left to melt and warm up again.

Hyundai dealer says never seem the fault before, even though it seems widespread, if not universal. Car has been off road for over a week now, out of four weeks since purchased.

The dealer has been shown these forum pages but not interested. They think they know better, but deny any common issue and can't fix this fault. Supposedly in touch with central technical department of Hyundai who also say not a known issue.

We think Hyundai staff are liars. We think no one in our family will ever buy a Hyundai again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Forgot to mention. After being 'repaired' on Friday, my daughter set off on holiday in the car this morning, for it to fail within 1/2 hour of leaving.

The car is now at the dealer for another week whilst she makes the trip in a loan car. First day of holiday ruined.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, after prevaricating on the issue, my daughter got her car changed for another about 6 months younger, first registered in February 2014, last week.

She just called me to say that it has failed in exactly the same way.

The good news (!) is that Hyundai tell her they know what the problem is and now have a fix. Ironically the first car she had has now been sorted.

Apparently they wont have a recall because they think there is just a batch of 'valves with an incorrect resistor. But the two cars we have seen the fault on were built about 6 months apart, so it must be a very large batch!

So there is a design fault, but they have a permanent fix for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Paul from England.
We are having the same problem over here with the ix35 and the Kia Sportage, exact same symptoms. Hyundai UK say that the factory is looking in to this problem intimating it might be software related. Kia dealers say they haven't heard of this! However the school of thought over here is that the evaporators are freezing probably due to a faulty or incorrectly placed sensor (anti-frost sensor!!!) awaiting a fix for both marques!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts