Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally discovered today that my ix35 2.0CRDi 4WD Premium ordered on 2nd April from Verve Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, won't be available until October and even that isn't guaranteed. So now considering the 2WD option instead. Reason for original choice was mainly for snow & ice in winter rather than off-road.

<div align='center'>Anybody driven the 2WD in snow/ice? How does it perform?

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE (HurryUp&Wait @ Aug 27 2010, 01:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352326
Finally discovered today that my ix35 2.0CRDi 4WD Premium ordered on 2nd April from Verve Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, won't be available until October and even that isn't guaranteed. So now considering the 2WD option instead. Reason for original choice was mainly for snow & ice in winter rather than off-road.

<div align='center'>Anybody driven the 2WD in snow/ice? How does it perform?
[/quote]

Sorry to hear you have to wait so long, but I would stick to my guns if I were you. I test drove both before buying, and IMO found the 4WD seems to have better road holding abilities in any conditions, it feels more secure on the road. Although my test drives were only done during wet, or dry conditions, not winter weather. I did notice the FWD version happened to unexpectedly "peel out" a bit when I pulled out from a stop on the soft shoulder with some gravel, or dirt on it a couple of times, traffic permitting while doing some maneuvers. It also seemed lighter then my previous Tucson, and drove lighter as well, but was peppier though. I also think that the 4WD lock is a great, handy, feature that is not normally found on vehicles like this (such as the Nissan Rogue).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree. AWD was a big factor for us choosing our Tucson. If you are dealing with snow and Ice AWD is the way to go without question. Otherwise it's just a gamble, feel lucky lol?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can't say how the FWD will handle snow and ice cause we never see any but we got rid of the wifes Toyota Echo (FWD) due to average road holding in the wet on less than perfect roads. Had the ix35 only came in a FWD variant then we would have shopped elsewhere. Australia does not get the turbo diesel in 2wd/fwd but given how our AWD drives I would imagine the diesel torque would be a handful in FWD.

A couple more months wait for your new pride and joy is a pain but not nearly as much as spending the next xx years with a car that is a dissapointment compared to what you originally wanted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi All - It was suggested I post this comment in the 2WD v 4WD thread as well.....

New IX35 owner here. I think I must have been very lucky. I ordered my IX35 in Silver, 2WD Prem with Media pack in mid July and was told there was a backlog and to expect Oct delivery. I was amazed when the car turned up or Aug so I waited a week and had it Sept 1st on a 60 plate. Propably waited 5-6 weeks tops !

Perhaps the 2WD models are coming through quicker. I tested all the models before going for the 2WD Prem and I found the 4WD ones didn't ride the road anywhere near as well as the 2WD. I bit too skitty for me. I also found the 4WD model stuggled to get close to claimed MPG but the 2WD one did much better despite them looking very similar on paper.

I also took the view that the 4WD system on the IX35 isn't that clever a system compared to that of say the X-trail (our other car) so the extra £1000 and 100kg you end up carrying around the 2WD looked best for me.

I plan to be towing a caravan with mine and had the deal fit towbar installed. Whitter detactable unit, looks very neat.

When I collected the car on 1st Sept dealer told me the backlog was getting so bad that the Hyundai UK Execs had flown out to Korea that day to meet the big bosses to try and get more production built for the UK market. I understand they got an extra 80 car per month for the UK market but that's still a way off meeting demand.

If you don't really need the 4WD model, take a drive in the 2WD and perhaps save yourself the £1000, get your car quicker and enjoy better MPG

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE (Jason BB @ Sep 5 2010, 10:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354410
Hi All - It was suggested I post this comment in the 2WD v 4WD thread as well.....

New IX35 owner here. I think I must have been very lucky. I ordered my IX35 in Silver, 2WD Prem with Media pack in mid July and was told there was a backlog and to expect Oct delivery. I was amazed when the car turned up or Aug so I waited a week and had it Sept 1st on a 60 plate. Propably waited 5-6 weeks tops !

Perhaps the 2WD models are coming through quicker. I tested all the models before going for the 2WD Prem and I found the 4WD ones didn't ride the road anywhere near as well as the 2WD. I bit too skitty for me. I also found the 4WD model stuggled to get close to claimed MPG but the 2WD one did much better despite them looking very similar on paper.

I also took the view that the 4WD system on the IX35 isn't that clever a system compared to that of say the X-trail (our other car) so the extra £1000 and 100kg you end up carrying around the 2WD looked best for me.

I plan to be towing a caravan with mine and had the deal fit towbar installed. Whitter detactable unit, looks very neat.

When I collected the car on 1st Sept dealer told me the backlog was getting so bad that the Hyundai UK Execs had flown out to Korea that day to meet the big bosses to try and get more production built for the UK market. I understand they got an extra 80 car per month for the UK market but that's still a way off meeting demand.

If you don't really need the 4WD model, take a drive in the 2WD and perhaps save yourself the £1000, get your car quicker and enjoy better MPG
Hi , i have the 4wd premium arriving end of september. In my opinion the awd is the one to go for if you are patient enough to wait. you will lose a bit on the mpg but the car feels a lot more secure and planted to the road, even though its only 2wd till its sensors kick in. We went for 4wd as i think £1000 is cheap for how different it makes the car. Please bear in mind, even though the car has only 135 bhp its been set up as a very powerful unit from standstill to 90 mph. The 2wd version will wheel spin very easily.Also you havn't got to be going through 2ft of mud to warrant the awd as very heavy rain, and bits of ice will put you off track. For those thinking of any kind of towing the 4wd is a no brainer. karl.

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE (AVFC @ Sep 5 2010, 01:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354459
Hi , i have the 4wd premium arriving end of september. In my opinion the awd is the one to go for if you are patient enough to wait. you will lose a bit on the mpg but the car feels a lot more secure and planted to the road, even though its only 2wd till its sensors kick in. We went for 4wd as i think £1000 is cheap for how different it makes the car. Please bear in mind, even though the car has only 135 bhp its been set up as a very powerful unit from standstill to 90 mph. The 2wd version will wheel spin very easily.Also you havn't got to be going through 2ft of mud to warrant the awd as very heavy rain, and bits of ice will put you off track. For those thinking of any kind of towing the 4wd is a no brainer. karl.
The 1st time it snows 12" or more, and the roads may not be plowed, and you need to get out for your job, or an emergency, you'll either be thanking your lucky stars you got the lockable 4WD, or beating yourself up because you didn't, and settled.

I've driven my 4WD 2002 Santa Fe, & my 2005 4WD Tucson so long that I've gotten used to them, and my 1st test drive was a new FWD 2010 Tucson which immediately appeared too light, & not secure, nor planted, on the road compared to them. Karl has summed it up clearly in closing, as I also had described in my previous post here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts