Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know the precise wheel size for Hyundai IX20 wheels ?

I have 16 inch alloys on the car, 5 bolts, and 205/55 R16 tyres supplied as standard when the car was new last year. I have a set of winter tyres the right size already fitted to steel wheel rims from my last car (Ford Focus 2005). I would like to just swap between the summer alloys for winter steels but I'm worried that the bolt circle size and rim width might not be right.

Thanks, KGix20.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Using those steel wheels could be seen by your insurers as a modification. It could therefore invalidate your insurance.

In fact, ridiculous as it may seem, just fitting winter tyres could be seen as a modification.

Having said that, I have a quality set of winter tyres fitted to the original alloys on my IX20. I haven't told my insurer. I change them over from the Continentals in November and back again at the end of March.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Fitting winter tyres does not need to be told to insurers; as long as they are fitted to the existing wheels, and are of the same dimension as the originals. Substituting steel wheels for alloys does require reporting, but if your insurance company try to load your policy point out that base models are fitted with steel wheels, and if anything there should be a reduction in premium during the time they are fitted.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Here’s an extract on this subject from the AA website :

Insurance implications - winter tyres

If you fit winter or all-season tyres in place of your standard 'summer' tyres there should be no need to tell your insurer – even though the speed index might be lower.

The lower speed index is still likely to exceed all national speed limits by a considerable margin – with the exception of some German autobahns – and is not checked as part of the passenger car MOT test.

If you follow the standard European practice of keeping two sets of wheels, one with winter tyres and one with summer tyres, then you shouldn't need to tell your insurer as long as the winter tyres are fitted to wheels of the correct specification.

• 'Correct specification' means that the wheel size – diameter, width and offset – conforms to the vehicle manufacturer's specifications.
  • Check the handbook for details of wheel/tyre sizes suitable for your car and refer to the car manufacturer or dealer for further advice.
Over the winter of 2010/11 we did hear reports of some insurers increasing premiums or remarkably even refusing cover if winter tyres are fitted. As a result we recommend talking to your insurer if you are considering fitting winter tyres.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the messages about winter tyres. I already checked this with Hyundai insurance and they are OK for me to swap tyres and wheels for winter and summer. My previous insurer, esure, wanted me to phone then every time I swapped the wheels...

Now back to my original question. What size are the ix20 wheels that come on the car ? Hyundai fit 205/55 R16 tyres to 16 inch alloy wheels but I have not been able to find the precise size for the wheel rims. The car handbook doesn't give this detail and my local Hyndai garage are still trying to find out.

Thanks, KGix20

·
Registered
64 Posts
The IX20 classic has 15" steel wheels as standard and I think you will find with the tyre size fitted to them they have the same rolling circumference as the 16" alloys so fitting 15" winter tyres to them works fine
And being standard to one model of the IX20 they wont come under modifications

Barrie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts