Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cheers from Finland, everyone!

We've had an ix20 since July 2013 or thereabouts and it's now done some 35k miles (60k km).

The five year warranty is about to run out in a few months, as this was a 2011 model that had been standing in a dealership for display - and for that I had the car checked up on its 60 000km service.

Up until now it has been a rather solid car - no problems whatsoever, with the exception of the ISG, which rarely works - it seems that it really needs to have the moon and stars aligned in a right way to function.

We've had the ISG working a few times in the summer, though, and rather surprisingly once just a couple of weeks ago, and it's winter now!
(The battery is probably to blame here, as the car sat in the dealership for over a year, doing only 800km, so it's possible it just can't keep at capacity full enough for the ISG ..)

But yes, then there's the surprise. Cylinder head gasket failure, I've been told.

The engine is leaking coolant, not rivers of it - they told me the car can be driven in the meantime waiting for the repair - but still, and needs the head gasket replaced and the cylinder head honed.

This goes under the warranty - good for me.
But still, I find it rather surprising to have such a failure at this low mileage, on an engine that really isn't that high tech at all. And I've been touting everyone how solid quality the Hyundais are, having previously owned a Coupe and a Getz without any problems whatsoever as well.

And the more basic workings of the engine (compared to downsized turbos or even the later Hyundai GDIs, I suppose) bring me to the next and final point - the fuel consumption.

The brochures state a 'EU combined' consumption of some 5.6l/100km (some 42MPG) if I recall correctly and we're seeing a long time average of 7l/100km (33MPG) with mixed driving, mostly on highways (80-100km/h).

Then again, this isn't laboratory but real world conditions - so I guess I'm wondering how this compares to what others are experiencing?
Ours has the 1.4l (66kw) engine and a 5 -speed manual gearbox.

Anyways, the car has been quite what it was bought to be - a really, really sensible car to fit the needs of a small (yet growing) family. Today cramming two small kids and two adults in it for a holiday trip feels sometimes a bit too much, but even this was eased with a roof box to some extent.
It really comes down to the ease and handling (and as we were initially hoping, lower fuel consumption) of a small car most of the time driven by a single person versus dragging all that extra space along if we were to trade it for something bigger (which could be a Kia Carens or similar - too bad they haven't got a Hyundai branded version of that!).

The handling isn't close to par with the germans - the electric power steering just doesn't deliver much information of what's happening under the tires, but for the steering the worst part is really how the car doesn't like to go on a straight line. You have to keep constantly adjusting it - tiny bits of steering all the time on a straight road.

All in all - we do love the car, but I'm not saying it couldn't be better. I'm not even saying we wouldn't be happier with, say, a Ford C-Max - as we haven't had one, I can't tell.

There - a few thoughts based on my experiences with the ix20!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Rabbit, thank you for your detailed report, very much appreciated. I have the same IX20 2011 with 30,000 miles. Only issue I have had is having all parking sensors replaced under warranty, no other issues. Can I ask is your car a 1.4 petrol or diesel? Mine is a diesel which is running perfect at present with good mpg. The ISG only works when car battery is fully charged.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, sorry for not mentioning, davets, I thought I did include it in the information - our car has the 1.4l petrol engine. I guess I didn't mention it specifically because in our market the diesels are always noted as '1.6 crdi' etc, whereas for the petrol ones the plain engine size is used in the notation.
I believe the difference in rated vs real fuel consumption is larger specifically with the Hyundai petrol engines, where their technology used to be lagging somewhat behind, while they naturally wanted to report competitive figures with similar cars from the other brands.

I recall there was even a lawsuit and a settlement regarding the issue in the US with some petrol models - which I cannot link to as the forum disallows me posting links yet; "An error has occurred Rabbitsies! You must be a registered member for at least 7 days in order to post links. You are a registered member since 1 days."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A month has passed, and our ix20 still hasn't been fixed. It has now been to the repair shop five or six times already, and more is yet to come.
The source of the leaking coolant hasn't been found - they glued something already that was supposedly the cause, and there was a note in the Hyundai system about it, but that wasn't it.

It remains to be seen if the problem really is in the head gasket or not - that was supposed to get checked and fixed already but they did that gluey thing instead.

And there was minor leaking of transmission oil as well (from the reverse gear indicator connector or such) , that has supposedly been fixed.

The front brakes had to be repaired - either the discs or the pads (or both?) were replaced. And the front wheel bearings.
And some other bearings related to the front suspension. And now it's due for replacement of some cushioning or whatnot related to that.

Also the driver side window has started to make a crackling noise at about half way when opening or closing it - which is going to be fixed.

In the meantime we also had a pebble hit the windscreen, which cracked and is due to be replaced.

So, 60k kilometers without worries, and now a stockpile of them at the same time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems Rabbit but please keep us informed of your progress as my warranty ends in August and I'm getting slightly concerned of your issues. My central locking system has started to become faulty and is due in the dealers this week. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Some MPG info on Hyundai - Real MPGs | Honest John

Our IX20 1.4 CRDi is approaching end of warranty (May). It has done 32000 miles approx. To date, the problems have been: rear brake calipers seizing and a noise from the front suspension when driving over "calming bumps" - both fixed under warranty.

Now, there is a slight noise when engaging the clutch in 1st gear from standstill; as the car has mostly been used around town - lots of gear changing - I fear that a clutch problem is coming our way! Also, the suspension noise has returned but, so far, only slightly. I'll book it in early for the five year service and MOT and get everything I can done under warranty.

I plan on keeping the car for a while longer as the mileage is low and it looks like the IX20 is going to be superseded by a SUV style I20 and/or IX25. So, there's not much point in replacing it with a new IX20.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Car went into dealers and it was a faulty door lock mechanism in the front passenger door, all fixed under warranty. No issues so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eight repairs later, the car should now be as good as new - and the warranty is about to end in a couple of weeks.

The source of the coolant leak was, I've been told, in the cylinder head cover surface not being flat / even and the gasket leaking.
At least that.

Also the front brake discs were now replaced (under warranty) as the previous service had replaced the pads and introduced a shake to the steering wheel on braking. The pads I had to pay for previously, though. Go figure.

The driver side window lift mechanism was also replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another thing just popped into my mind - the cruise control SET/RES -lever. Has anyone had problems with it not setting the cruise with the first press of the button/lever?
I get this randomly but more often than not - with the cruise control enabled, pressing the SET button does light the indicator light and tell me the speed was set, but only for an instant - it doesn't 'stay on'; I often have to SET the speed at least twice for it to actually engage (same for RESume).

I was suspecting an electric issue with the button, but I've been told that can't be it because it does set the speed, albeit canceling it. No error codes were found in the service so the local authorized Hyundai service did what Microsoft would do - the mechanic stated it is not a bug, but a feature!

A feature that causes the cruise control to randomly not engage when trying to set it on - wonder why they don't use that in advertising, I bet no other car brands have thought of such a clever Cruise Control!

Anyway, am I the only one or does this sound familiar to someone else as well?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi there!
Had so trouble free times with the IX20 lately that I had forgotten about this forum entirely - until now, some two and half years later.

We started experiencing coolant depletion a few weeks ago, and as I took the car to the service for the 120 000km service that was due I asked the garage to look into this as well.

Well, it turns out the head gasket is leaking again. Or at least that's what they concluded in their preliminary diagnostics. And for the service I had already ordered the front brakes (pads and discs) to be replaced as they had worn to minimum.

I went googling about this issue and found my own thread here. I had completely forgotten about the head gasket issue as it was fixed under warranty the last time.

Well, now it's not and it's going to take supposedly a minimum of 10 hours of work to get it done, so I'm expecting this to get on the expensive side.

Not sure how long these should usually last, but replacing the head gasket and planing the cover every 60K km doesn't sound like something that's really supposed to happen so I guess I'll be contacting Hyundai about this issue as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hyundai opted not to have any goodwill to participate in the costs of repairing this issue.

I'm having it fixed next week and will update on the status if the garage finds any root cause to this as I'd rather not have it broken up again in another couple of years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick follow-up on this: The problem was with the head gasket. No goodwill from Hyundai thus far, the reparation ended up costing something around 1000€ this time. When asked how I could be sure it wouldn't happen again after the next 50 000km's, the response from Hyundai was that they have manufactured an updated head gasket, so they're indirectly admitting there's a design or manufacturing flaw that was causing the previous failures - and yet they refuse to compensate for it.

Goes without saying I had the car repaired and let it go in exchange for another brand car. After 15 years of owning Hyundai cars this was a total letdown from the company (and their local importer).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts