Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 HSH Limited, black. With rear vents and heated seats! 165,000 km (103,000 miles) :)
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car has the style package and is selling (at a dealership) for just over 7k CAD$. The engine is ticking. We all know about the infamous issue with the pistons banging against the cylinders on some of the Hyundai engines of that era.

My question is: is the fact that the engine is ticking and indicator to stay the **** away, or do most engines of that model tick and it's highly unlikely that I'm getting one of the engines that will need to be replaced?
I really love the car so I'm hoping to not have to walk away. It's got the style package, and I just love the panoramic sunroof. There's no other car in my budget that has that, it's so beautiful :)

What do you think?

(PS it has 160k kilometers on it. It also had some rust on the rear hatch..

·
Registered
250 Posts
This car purchase sounds like a bad deal in every way.

Rust, high mileage, defective engine and high price.

Cars are not selling right now, for obvious reasons. You have all the power. You can do better.

·
Registered
2014 HSH Limited, black. With rear vents and heated seats! 165,000 km (103,000 miles) :)
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This car purchase sounds like a bad deal in every way.

Rust, high mileage, defective engine and high price.

Cars are not selling right now, for obvious reasons. You have all the power. You can do better.
Thanks so much for replying. The rust I can take care of. But high mileage and price? Where have you seen this go for less? Seems to be what this is selling at.
My specific question is re the engine. I'm hearing that nearly all the engines tick & only some of them have the piston problem. Just want to know what might help me understand if this one will be an issue.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My 2 cents...

A simple thing to do with the engine is act interested in a couple of newer Elantra cars and listen to their engines. The 2013 Elantra GT is known for severe engine problems and Hyundai is replacing many of them free of charge, but there is no way you want to go through that or if they will offer this assistance to you at all.

As for price, I buy a used car every 3 years on average and have been doing this for 40 years. I have leaned that dealers and Red book / Blue Book / Kelly vehicle books all inflate the value of cars when selling them but when you go to trade in your car, it's amazing how little money they will give you for it. I would guess the dealer paid $3,500 or less for that car. This is why I usually buy privately. I know the owner has been offered next to nothing for it from the dealer and I also don't think a dealer's warranty is worth much as they usually lie/cheat there way out of any problem. Private sales are far cheaper and you usually get the same car.

Know the situation. Right now, and for the foreseeable future, car sales are in the toilet. Dealers don't want to pay staff and they don't want an asset depreciating on their lot. You are in a very good position to bargain. Try saying something like "I like that car but the price is to high" and start walking away. They will drag you back faster than you can say "I'll have fries with that".

I am mechanically minded and have worked on all kinds of machines for many years and you may be be uncomfortable with my suggestions. That is fine and the choice is yours but I strongly suggest you stay away from that car. Best advice is never get yourself into a situation where you have buy a car immediately. Take your time and look at a few cars. Find a few you like and put in offers [low] and gauge their response. You can always go up in price but you might be surprised how they respond to the first [lower] offer during this severe economic down turn.
Happy car hunting!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Run Away! Run Away!

Find a '14 or later and get the 2.0L GDI engine. Much more entertaining. I have a '14 with nearly 70K miles and zero issues. Just changed the brake pads (not due to fast wearing pads, more my driving style) and beyond that have done nothing but filters and oil changes. And had the tranny fluid drained and refilled (no flush) at 60K not because of any issues at all but because I am planning on keeping it for a long time.

One suggestion to all, if you are considering a used car go to the manufacturers web site (or any database site) and look up the recall history for the model year and vehicle you are considering. A real eye opener is the number of TSB's and recalls on the '13 Elantra GT compared to those for the '14 and later model.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have a '13 GT and it has always had a light ticking from new. Mine has 132 K kms. I think it's the injectors. For sure, normal. But I have not heard your ticking... so won't say that's same.. I think the price is fair for the mileage and features from what i have seen on Marketplace and Kijiji.
It's been suggested to look for newer model ('14+) with the 2.0 GDI engine.These also have had some issues, (not as frequent perhaps) but they also have more power and I think also get better fuel economy by a bit... just so you are aware.

I find it cold a Hyundai dealer would sell a used a car with a known problem. Those 1.8 engines are common in the Elantras and some Kia models... find another to listen to for comparison.

Have you discussed your concerns with the dealership?

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,827 Posts
I would be just as concerned about the sunroof leaking as I would be the engine needing replaced. I hear about leaking sunroofs quite often considering its an option on Elantra GT's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts