Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have closely monitored oil levels since new - have seen virtually no consumption between changes but yesterday checked the level and 3 weeks back it was at the full mark, now close to the lower mark, oil was changed only 1.5k miles ago.

So I'd rather have the engine seize in short order and get it over with, as opposed to becoming an oil consumer as some do and going thru that replacement process which might take years.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what/when the demise of the engine will be, lol.

This is the wife's car, I recently went the pickup route and now drive a Ford Ranger Lariat - thus far it's a nice vehicle and trumps the SFS in performance, mpgs, quietness and of course off road performance. It does ride like a truck though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How many miles and what is the year of your SF? Later models after 2016 I believe have much improved durability, in particular 2018 models little known fact were the only model year with a twin-scroll turbo completely different unit than previous model years, and assumed better reliabiilty.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles and what is the year of your SF? Later models after 2016 I believe have much improved durability, in particular 2018 models little known fact were the only model year with a twin-scroll turbo completely different unit than previous model years, and assumed better reliabiilty.
2013 , 82 k miles. has little or nothing to do with the turbo, it's the design of the engine.

Reactions: AK103U

·
Registered
206 Posts
My 2014 burned oil for 12,000-14,000 miles starting about the time it hit 100K miles ...it literally was a quart per 1000 miles. Then died----my 2015 2.0T never burned a drop of oil and simply died at 62,000 miles. Purred like a kitten until the CEL came on....

·
Registered
401 Posts
You and I went similar routes. I traded my '13 Sonata for a Taco and my wife's is a '14 SFS 2.4l. Just turned 60k and with 'the Rona' doesn't get driven much these days. No oil consumption yet and still holding my breath one day it'll go in for an engine. Who knows, if we wait long enough they'll either stop refurbing them or put in an electric motor.

Either way, good luck. Are you starting the consumption process or will let it die a more natural death? At least the Ranger can tow the SFS to the nearest (fill in the blank). Glad you're enjoying the truck world.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I posted because up to now there has been little or no oil consumption, was surprised to see the oil level down about a quart so the assumption is it's starting to burn it, overall the SFS has been trouble free. Back in 2013 when car shopping considered a 4runner but gas was more expensive back then and when I purchased the SFS the mpgs were overstated - 27 mpg for awd 2.0T highway, rerated to 24 highway and I generally see less than that.
I'm happy with the Ranger Lariat, got a dealer demo with 700 miles on it, off road package and top level trim for $34.2k , it can tow up to 7,500 lbs, and is rated to return 20/24 mpgs and on a recent trip with 400 lbs of gear it returned 26 miles in mountain driving, most of it highway. I needed a pickup as I've always relied on friends for hunting and fishing trips that require a off road vehicle.
Tacos are super nice but very pricey here in CO and I liked the Ford 2.3T with 270/310 hp/lbs-ft for driving at higher elevations. My son bought a 2016 Tacoma with 60k miles and paid 30k for it, it's a TRD pro but my Ranger has way more features but Tacomas are very popular in mountain areas owing to their off road capability and reliability. Couldn't believe when I looked at the 2020 models they still have drum brakes in the rear. Enjoy your Tacoma.

Reactions: kpanasew

·
Registered
378 Posts
I just bought a 2012 Santa Fe (3.5L/AWD) with 17,748 miles. Nice to see what have to look forward to. Oy vey. lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
To reassure you, this is a very small number of Santa Fe's that have issues with the 2.0 turbo. For those having issues I'm not trying to minimize your pain, but by the numbers it is a very small percentage who have issues. There are many with over 200,000 miles that have done very little maintenance and had no issues.

BUT, the main point here is that your 2012 has the old reliable 3.5L V6, completely different engine that was very reliable so don't worry!! In 2013 the engine was replaced with a new 2.0 turbo 4 cylinder that some are complaining about here.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks @dtech. Sounds like you got a sweet deal and a good ride there. I did look at the Rangers and Colorado's before settling on a '20 Taco Double Cab OR. They are ridiculously pricey but with some good negotiations back in April and Sonata trade in, I got an incredible deal. Those EcoBoost engines can put out some torque. Tacos definitely have their strong following; lots of 'fans' in CO and SoCal due to great offroading spots.

Are you going to start consumption testing process with your dealer? One of the main reasons i got rid of the Sonata was due to the "ticking timebomb" factor of ThetaII. Now it's down to the SFS concerns. Did you end up doing the 953 product improvement campaign on yours? I've been holding out...

·
Registered
378 Posts
To reassure you, this is a very small number of Santa Fe's that have issues with the 2.0 turbo. For those having issues I'm not trying to minimize your pain, but by the numbers it is a very small percentage who have issues. There are many with over 200,000 miles that have done very little maintenance and had no issues.

BUT, the main point here is that your 2012 has the old reliable 3.5L V6, completely different engine that was very reliable so don't worry!! In 2013 the engine was replaced with a new 2.0 turbo 4 cylinder that some are complaining about here.
Thanks! I'm new to Hyundai (Mopar/Chevy guy) and was concerned.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks @dtech. Sounds like you got a sweet deal and a good ride there. I did look at the Rangers and Colorado's before settling on a '20 Taco Double Cab OR. They are ridiculously pricey but with some good negotiations back in April and Sonata trade in, I got an incredible deal. Those EcoBoost engines can put out some torque. Tacos definitely have their strong following; lots of 'fans' in CO and SoCal due to great offroading spots.

Are you going to start consumption testing process with your dealer? One of the main reasons i got rid of the Sonata was due to the "ticking timebomb" factor of ThetaII. Now it's down to the SFS concerns. Did you end up doing the 953 product improvement campaign on yours? I've been holding out...
I did do the 953 "product improvement" only to get the lifetime engine warranty, have not experienced any issues. Too early to get an oil consumption test, I'll keep an eye on it, some folks who experienced engine failures indicated that a sudden increase in oil consumption foretold the demise of the engine.
I don't spend much time on here but there are still who seemingly don't understand the scope of the Theta II failures, they occur on both 2.0T and 2.4 engines, some 2 yrs or more back Hyundai had to recall some 168k vehicles who had engines replaced for HP fuel pump remedial work, in the meantime the failures have continuted so I'd say a conservative estimate would put the number well above 250K , Hyundai won't disclose the numbers but did budget some $800m several yrs back - before the lifetime engine warranty settllement so the costs could easily already be well above $1B - I certainly don't consider those to be insignificant nos, and doubt that Hyundai and it's shareholders do either.
Good for you on the Taco deal - it's a great truck, still easily outsells all others in the segment. I find it interesting that Toyota cancelled the FJ cruiser - the resale value on them is off the charts and now Ford has re-introduced the Bronco and Jeep has the Gladiator.

Reactions: AK103U

·
Registered
401 Posts
I did do the 953 "product improvement" only to get the lifetime engine warranty, have not experienced any issues. Too early to get an oil consumption test, I'll keep an eye on it, some folks who experienced engine failures indicated that a sudden increase in oil consumption foretold the demise of the engine.
I got the settlement letter yesterday; nice how they baked in the KSDS into the lifetime warranty. Made an appointment with dealer to get it installed. Maybe they finally got the supply of harnesses in stock. Too bad I missed out on the free oil change :rolleyes:. I've been doing all the service work anyway and avoiding a dealer bay like the plague. Good luck with the sfs and enjoy the Ranger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts