Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got my car on Sept 1st and i have to say its been nothing but a headache since day 1. The car has been pulling to the left which i have read that others are also experiencing the same issue. Ive had it at the dealer for the recall and also a second time for an alignment. And the problem still exists. Also when it was there they attempted to fix numerous rattles that have arisen since ive had the car that also still exist. Ive been waiting almost 2 weeks now for a loaner car to get the car back in the shop. Now as bad as the pulling and rattles are they have become the least of my worries. Since the car was in the last time 2 new issues have popped up. The first is an odor that smells like burning oil when i shut the car off. And the other is m biggest concern. When im driving the car with the heat or the air on im getting a very strong odor of gasoline fumes blowing through the vents. The dealer is well aware of the new issues and have still not been able to get the car back in the shop. I have also been in contact with Hyundai Consumer Affairs about all the issues im having and to say the least for the company, their customer service has been phenomenal! The rep i am dealing with has been very caring towards my needs. She is very concerned about the gasoline fumes issue and is just waiting for the dealer to get the car back in the shop. She has called me everyday since i initially contacted them to see if the car is in the shop yet. Once it is she is going to have a corporate tech come look at my car. I know this is a long rant but i mostly just wanted to express my disappointment with this car and to see if anyone else has been experiencing the gasoline fume issue.

Thanx for reading

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry to hear you have had so many problems. I have had my SE since May and haven't had any problems except for the AC not working for me once. A couple of months ago when leaving the house I turned on the AC and got nothing but hot air. I tried all the climate control buttons and switches, no luck. I just got hot air. This lasted for about 10 min, and then it started blowing cold. Hasn’t had a problem since. Still a mystery for me.

I really hope Hyundai gets this taken care of for you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
that sucks! i'm supposed to pick up my SE this friday but reviews like this scare me to the bone. not sure what to do

·
Registered
247 Posts
i also have a question.
i put the fan on 0, and it still blows out hot or cold air depending on the setting its at.
it's very weak, but i can still feel the heat, or the cold, even though the fan is set at 0!!!
it is only when i put the 'air circulate' mode on ALONG with setting the fan to 0, then the air flow seems to stop completely.
kind of annoyed??? anybody have this issue?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
QUOTE (shinigami @ Oct 26 2010, 09:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366387
i also have a question.
i put the fan on 0, and it still blows out hot or cold air depending on the setting its at.
it's very weak, but i can still feel the heat, or the cold, even though the fan is set at 0!!!
it is only when i put the 'air circulate' mode on ALONG with setting the fan to 0, then the air flow seems to stop completely.
mine does that....as well as my 01 accord with auto climate control, and my previous 03 odyssy, again with climate control...and my 08 civic, with manual climate. i think it has to do with keeping fresh air in the car and keeping fumes out, as much as possible.

if you don't want the air..shut the vents off

·
Registered
42 Posts
QUOTE (shinigami @ Oct 26 2010, 10:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366387
i also have a question.
I think this may be inherent in the design. Think of it this way. If you roll down your window air circulates into the window regardless of whether the fan is on. When you don't have the a/c on recirculate mode, a small door is open in the dash that allow outside air to come in even if the fan is off.

·
Registered
123 Posts
QUOTE (shinigami @ Oct 26 2010, 10:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366387
i also have a question.
i had it with my 92 Olds Cutlas Cierra and 2000 Chevy Malibu. I don't remember if the 88 Accord was the same way as well.

But i chock it up to the "fresh air" option having a vent open to allow air in. i bet if you stopped the air would stop also.

to the OP

sorry about your troubles. The only issue i've had with mine.. is well... i haven't had the time to check the recall out. Stupid business travel and local dealerships not having weekend hours...

·
Registered
247 Posts
QUOTE (KFP @ Oct 26 2010, 08:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366392
I think this may be inherent in the design. Think of it this way. If you roll down your window air circulates into the window regardless of whether the fan is on. When you don't have the a/c on recirculate mode, a small door is open in the dash that allow outside air to come in even if the fan is off.
this is my first car, so i didn't know if that's just the way it is.
i'm just assuming it's wasting gas, because it doesn't seem like simple air flowing in from outside, but my car seems to heat the air or cool it before it brings it into the car.

·
Registered
281 Posts
QUOTE (shinigami @ Oct 26 2010, 01:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366440
this is my first car, so i didn't know if that's just the way it is.
i'm just assuming it's wasting gas, because it doesn't seem like simple air flowing in from outside, but my car seems to heat the air or cool it before it brings it into the car.

No worries, this is absolutely normal in ANY car. By setting the 'fresh air' mode, as another person stated, a small flap door opens to allow outside air into the vehicle. Recirculation simply closes this flap. All you are feeling is air being forced through the system as you are driving. When you are stopped you should not really feel anything through the vents unless you're getting some frontal wind.

Regarding the heating / cooling effect; simply put, your heater works by opening valves to allow coolent to flow into the heater core, thus increasing the temperature of the air circulated through the unit. As you adjust the temperature higher, more coolent is allowed to circulate. Even when you have the heat running full force (without a/c), all you're operating is a fan, and a minimal amount of fuel is consumed. The a/c involves a larger and more complicated process including a belt driven compressor that ads a substantial amount of resistance to the engine, forcing it to work harder to do its task. This process consumes more fuel. Try keeping your car in idle with the a/c off, paying attention to the odometer, the sound of the engine and vibrations of the vehicle. Turn the a/c on, and you will notice your rpms will drop, your engine tone will lower and the vibration will slow. All this is due to the strain from the a/c compressor.

The point of the second paragraph is that when your climate control is off, your a/c compressor is off, and all fans are off as well. Any air blowing through the vents in 'fresh air' mode may be temporarily cooled if you were just running the a/c, but it will warm up pretty quickly to around outside air temperature (assuming you had the temperature all the way down), so if it's cool outside you will get cool air through the vents. As stated above, the heater works by utilizing hot coolent, so if you leave your heat controls turned up, you will get hot air through the vents even when the unit is turned off.

Anyhow, sorry for threadjacking...

fdnj - I'm sorry to hear about all of your troubles and I hope you get them resolved quickly. I'm glad to hear that Hyundai corporate is taking care of you, but it's a shame you've had issues with the dealer... You should probably start researching your states Lemon Law just so that you have some knowledge and a potential backdrop (and a lot more leverage if necessary).

·
Registered
247 Posts
QUOTE (theprodigy79 @ Oct 26 2010, 12:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366458
No worries, this is absolutely normal in ANY car. By setting the 'fresh air' mode, as another person stated, a small flap door opens to allow outside air into the vehicle. Recirculation simply closes this flap. All you are feeling is air being forced through the system as you are driving. When you are stopped you should not really feel anything through the vents unless you're getting some frontal wind.

Regarding the heating / cooling effect; simply put, your heater works by opening valves to allow coolent to flow into the heater core, thus increasing the temperature of the air circulated through the unit. As you adjust the temperature higher, more coolent is allowed to circulate. Even when you have the heat running full force (without a/c), all you're operating is a fan, and a minimal amount of fuel is consumed. The a/c involves a larger and more complicated process including a belt driven compressor that ads a substantial amount of resistance to the engine, forcing it to work harder to do its task. This process consumes more fuel. Try keeping your car in idle with the a/c off, paying attention to the odometer, the sound of the engine and vibrations of the vehicle. Turn the a/c on, and you will notice your rpms will drop, your engine tone will lower and the vibration will slow. All this is due to the strain from the a/c compressor.

The point of the second paragraph is that when your climate control is off, your a/c compressor is off, and all fans are off as well. Any air blowing through the vents in 'fresh air' mode may be temporarily cooled if you were just running the a/c, but it will warm up pretty quickly to around outside air temperature (assuming you had the temperature all the way down), so if it's cool outside you will get cool air through the vents. As stated above, the heater works by utilizing hot coolent, so if you leave your heat controls turned up, you will get hot air through the vents even when the unit is turned off.

Anyhow, sorry for threadjacking...

fdnj - I'm sorry to hear about all of your troubles and I hope you get them resolved quickly. I'm glad to hear that Hyundai corporate is taking care of you, but it's a shame you've had issues with the dealer... You should probably start researching your states Lemon Law just so that you have some knowledge and a potential backdrop (and a lot more leverage if necessary).
Thank you so much for this post.
I think i've gained more from this thread than the OP haha.
I think it's good that your car wants to circulate fresh air.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Oct 26 2010, 05:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366522
booooo hooooo another NEWBIE posting about his bs problems.

Speaking as a PERPETUAL newbie, we were ALL newbies once! In fact, I try to stay that way! Despite fomerly being a tech for both BMW and Mercedes, I try to *always* be open-minded, egoless, and willing to both teach and learn!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yes but we have heard this **** over and over. You need to take the car in and file a complaint if you are that unhappy with your car. Request that all items be fixed and have them give you a loaner car for the entire time your car is in getting repaired.

All cars have rattles, they can be fixed but may require you to do some work yourself. I moved the 10 lb owners manual to the trunk and the glove box rattle is now gone. My SE does not pull besides on sloped highways and grooved concrete. Those are road conditions not the cars fault. The odor is strange but if you over fill your tank it might just do that. Also check under the hood to make sure no excess oil or fluids got spilled. Even check to make sure the oil cap and all other caps are on tight.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Oct 27 2010, 10:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366677
You need to take the car in and file a complaint if you are that unhappy with your car. Request that all items be fixed and have them give you a loaner car for the entire time your car is in getting repaired.

All cars have rattles, they can be fixed but may require you to do some work yourself. I moved the 10 lb owners manual to the trunk and the glove box rattle is now gone. My SE does not pull besides on sloped highways and grooved concrete. Those are road conditions not the cars fault. The odor is strange but if you over fill your tank it might just do that. Also check under the hood to make sure no excess oil or fluids got spilled. Even check to make sure the oil cap and all other caps are on tight.

nobody forces you to read or reply to "newbie" complaints. how hard is it to just ignore them and avoid loading the board with negativity? Your second response, as quoted above, would have been much better as your first one. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Oct 27 2010, 10:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366677
Yes but we have heard this **** over and over. You need to take the car in and file a complaint if you are that unhappy with your car. Request that all items be fixed and have them give you a loaner car for the entire time your car is in getting repaired.

I apologize if these issues have been mentioned before but if im not mistaken this is a forum where people are supposed to be able to come when they are experiencing issues with their car, is it not? This is a brand new car that came out earlier this year, so for all intents and purposes we are all "NEWBIES" to this vehicle. Just because im a "NEWBIE" to this site doesn't mean i have no common sense are far as cars are concerned. I am new to the Sonata so I was asking questions to find out if anyone else has experienced issues similar to what I am.

If you read my original post, I have brought the car in to be repaired and the problems still exist. I also stated that I am waiting for the dealer to get me a loaner car.

I am fully aware that all cars have rattles(this is not the first car I have ever owned). But when it is only a month and a half old with 1,100 miles it should not have these issues. I don't have the 10 lb owners manual in the glove box let alone in the car. As a matter of fact all I have in my glove box is my insurance and reg and in the center console all that's in there is the cable for my Ipod. I don't leave junk laying around my cars. And my issue with the pulling is not road condition. It is a fault with the car. And the odor and no the tank has not been overfilled, there is no spots of any fluids under the car where i park and there are no loose caps anywhere on the vehicle.

Thank you for your somewhat positive input though

·
Registered
42 Posts
QUOTE (fdnj48 @ Oct 27 2010, 03:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366752
I don't leave junk laying around my cars. And my issue with the pulling is not road condition. It is a fault with the car.....

......Thank you for your somewhat positive input though
I recently drove a Ford Fusion while my Sonata was in the shop and would like to get your opinion on how I would describe the Sonata steering. I don't find it a problem but I do find it different. In most cars, if you release the steering wheel on flat pavement it will move strongly to a straight ahead steering position. Additionally, the steering wheel offers resistance if you try to make adjustments to drive in a direction other than straight ahead. My Sonata does drive straight if I release the steering wheel on flat pavement but it does not offer extra resistance if you try to steer in a direction other than straight ahead. Because there is no extra resistance, the slightest pressure can cause a slight change in direction. Is it possible that because the steering is so sensitive and there is no "locked in" feeling when going straight ahead that that drivers apply a slight turn so that they can feel some road resistance that approximates the "locked in" resistance to turning that other cars provide? I have a funny feeling I will edit this later on after every one calls me crazy but for now I will put it out there and listen to the response. :grin:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (fdnj48 @ Oct 27 2010, 03:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366752
I apologize if these issues have been mentioned before but if im not mistaken this is a forum where people are supposed to be able to come when they are experiencing issues with their car, is it not? This is a brand new car that came out earlier this year, so for all intents and purposes we are all "NEWBIES" to this vehicle. Just because im a "NEWBIE" to this site doesn't mean i have no common sense are far as cars are concerned. I am new to the Sonata so I was asking questions to find out if anyone else has experienced issues similar to what I am.

If you read my original post, I have brought the car in to be repaired and the problems still exist. I also stated that I am waiting for the dealer to get me a loaner car.

I am fully aware that all cars have rattles(this is not the first car I have ever owned). But when it is only a month and a half old with 1,100 miles it should not have these issues. I don't have the 10 lb owners manual in the glove box let alone in the car. As a matter of fact all I have in my glove box is my insurance and reg and in the center console all that's in there is the cable for my Ipod. I don't leave junk laying around my cars. And my issue with the pulling is not road condition. It is a fault with the car. And the odor and no the tank has not been overfilled, there is no spots of any fluids under the car where i park and there are no loose caps anywhere on the vehicle.

Thank you for your somewhat positive input though

One thing it very well could be is a bad tire. Have the dealer swap them left to right and see if the pull swaps side with the tires.

·
Registered
44 Posts
QUOTE (KFP @ Oct 27 2010, 04:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366772
I recently drove a Ford Fusion while my Sonata was in the shop and would like to get your opinion on how I would describe the Sonata steering. I don't find it a problem but I do find it different. In most cars, if you release the steering wheel on flat pavement it will move strongly to a straight ahead steering position. Additionally, the steering wheel offers resistance if you try to make adjustments to drive in a direction other than straight ahead. My Sonata does drive straight if I release the steering wheel on flat pavement but it does not offer extra resistance if you try to steer in a direction other than straight ahead. Because there is no extra resistance, the slightest pressure can cause a slight change in direction. Is it possible that because the steering is so sensitive and there is no "locked in" feeling when going straight ahead that that drivers apply a slight turn so that they can feel some road resistance that approximates the "locked in" resistance to turning that other cars provide? I have a funny feeling I will edit this later on after every one calls me crazy but for now I will put it out there and listen to the response. :grin:
I have been reading a lot about how the steering on the Sonata is "different", but actually I like the way it behaves...

On the highway it feels somewhat heavy, resisting doing anything but going straight. This seems very normal to me, no wandering or correction needed. In the parking lot the steering feels very light - kind of nice when you are parking.

I remember reading that the 2011 Sonata is steer by wire - which means that the behavior is entirely programmable. All feedback must be done through an actuator since there is no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels.

In fact, some people have had the steering "reflashed" with a new program during the steering recall. I wonder if this was to make the steering feel more normal. My car is pretty new, less than a month old, so maybe it has the newer behavior.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
QUOTE (jbishop.rwc @ Oct 27 2010, 07:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366800
I have been reading a lot about how the steering on the Sonata is "different", but actually I like the way it behaves...

On the highway it feels somewhat heavy, resisting doing anything but going straight. This seems very normal to me, no wandering or correction needed. In the parking lot the steering feels very light - kind of nice when you are parking.

I remember reading that the 2011 Sonata is steer by wire - which means that the behavior is entirely programmable. All feedback must be done through an actuator since there is no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels.

In fact, some people have had the steering "reflashed" with a new program during the steering recall. I wonder if this was to make the steering feel more normal. My car is pretty new, less than a month old, so maybe it has the newer behavior.

Close, but no. There is a traditional rack and pinion, but the *assist* is by electric motor, and it is this assist profile that is regulated by software.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts