Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Sonata that I'm having an issue with Android Auto in. When I connect, it runs for a minute or two then the screen starts alternating with the messages something like "reading usb" and "unable to connect to phone". This same phone works great on my 2017 Elantra, so I don't think it's a phone issue. I've taken the cable and used it to charge with no issues so I don't think it's the cable but will try a different one in the car.

Has anyone else experienced issues like this? I'm wondering if maybe it's the connection in the Sonata. The Elantra has spoiled me for Android Auto, so I really want it to work. It's a shame you can't do it over USB since with the wireless charger in the Sonata there's really no need to plug it in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a new Sonata that I'm having an issue with Android Auto in. When I connect, it runs for a minute or two then the screen starts alternating with the messages something like "reading usb" and "unable to connect to phone". This same phone works great on my 2017 Elantra, so I don't think it's a phone issue. I've taken the cable and used it to charge with no issues so I don't think it's the cable but will try a different one in the car.

Has anyone else experienced issues like this? I'm wondering if maybe it's the connection in the Sonata. The Elantra has spoiled me for Android Auto, so I really want it to work. It's a shame you can't do it over USB since with the wireless charger in the Sonata there's really no need to plug it in.
Try enabling USB debugging from developer options from phone settings

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's your cable, you need to use a Google approved one. By any chance is it usb-c?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's your cable, you need to use a Google approved one. By any chance is it usb-c?

Yes, it's a USB-C (the phone is a Galaxy S9), but I wasn't aware there was such a thing as a "Google approved" cable.

I was going to post a link to what I got on Amazon, but evidently I don't have enough posts to include a link.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, that was my 5th post so now I can provide a link to the cable I'm using: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WV3KCD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, it's a USB-C (the phone is a Galaxy S9), but I wasn't aware there was such a thing as a "Google approved" cable.

I was going to post a link to what I got on Amazon, but evidently I don't have enough posts to include a link.
Hmmmmm, am using a C external usb to my note 8 and it works fine

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ok, that was my 5th post so now I can provide a link to the cable I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WV3KCD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's the cable... Charging uses different wires than data... So you have a bad wire on the data pins..

The product linked in the OP's post shows cables that are capable of both data transfer and charging. I don't know about the quality of those, but given a reasonable, 4-star rating with over 2000 reviews, it should be OK.

But, because the some significant portion of reviews (1-star) mention bad quality, - I suspect a bad QC, so, a specific sample could be a lemon.

I don't think there is "Google approved cable".
There are some good and bad USB (USB-C in particular) cables, and there are some that are Google-branded...
https://www.androidauthority.com/best-usb-type-c-cables-682801/

And then, there is an initiative from a Googler Benson Leung, who got "burnt" (or, rather his laptop) by a bad USB-C cable, so that he started reviewing various USB-C devices, including the cables:

https://plus.google.com/collection/s0Inv

But yes, I'd suggest trying a different cable first, - that's the simplest, and relatively inexpensive step.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's the cable... Charging uses different wires than data... So you have a bad wire on the data pins..
You appear to be correct. I tried another cable from that same set over the weekend and it works fine.

Plus, I reached out to the seller on Amazon and they gave me a code to order another entire set to replace the one bad one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ah, I see we have to be quite literal on these forums now... you knew I was alluding to Benson approved cables... If you Google "Google approved cables" it comes up with Benson's posts...
The product linked in the OP's post shows cables that are capable of both data transfer and charging. I don't know about the quality of those, but given a reasonable, 4-star rating with over 2000 reviews, it should be OK.

But, because the some significant portion of reviews (1-star) mention bad quality, - I suspect a bad QC, so, a specific sample could be a lemon.

I don't think there is "Google approved cable".
There are some good and bad USB (USB-C in particular) cables, and there are some that are Google-branded...
https://www.androidauthority.com/best-usb-type-c-cables-682801/

And then, there is an initiative from a Googler Benson Leung, who got "burnt" (or, rather his laptop) by a bad USB-C cable, so that he started reviewing various USB-C devices, including the cables:

https://plus.google.com/collection/s0Inv

But yes, I'd suggest trying a different cable first, - that's the simplest, and relatively inexpensive step.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Android Auto is very sensitive to cable quality, and generally speaking, the cheaper they are, the worse they are. This is especially important with USB-C to USB-A connections. The cheaper cables likely won't have the proper shielding or chips to ensure proper current (no matter what the listing says), and there is a high likelihood of them pulling more power than USB-A can handle and frying the port or the device on the other end.

USB-C to C is much safer, but likely won't be in cars until a few years after Apple switches.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The cheaper cables likely won't have the proper shielding or chips to ensure proper current (no matter what the listing says), and there is a high likelihood of them pulling more power than USB-A can handle and frying the port or the device on the other end.

USB-C to C is much safer, but likely won't be in cars until a few years after Apple switches.
Sorry, I didn't follow all that. I guess I'm not up on the latest hardware. I'm not user how USB-A is involved at all. Is there something different in port on the car/pc?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ah, I see we have to be quite literal on these forums now... you knew I was alluding to Benson approved cables... If you Google "Google approved cables" it comes up with Benson's posts...
I did not know what you were alluding to.
I was surprised to see "Google approved", as I've never seen that, and so, I googled. But even Benson himself doesn't seem to present it as "Google approved". So, while I understand (now) your intent, I still think that using "Google approved" gives a different meaning, and as such rather confusing. (It probably wouldn't have been if everybody on this forum had known who Benson was.)

"Google approved" sounds like an endorsement (which could have been based on belonging to a guild/club, based on fees paid and possibly some testing, similar to "TopTier [gas]", "Organic certified [produce]", "Bordeaux or Chianti [wine]", etc.), while the fact that those products are tested by an enthusiast engineer (I don't know if he is paid by Google to test those devices), - has a stronger meaning (at least to me).

Android Auto is very sensitive to cable quality, and generally speaking, the cheaper they are, the worse they are. This is especially important with USB-C to USB-A connections. The cheaper cables likely won't have the proper shielding or chips to ensure proper current (no matter what the listing says), and there is a high likelihood of them pulling more power than USB-A can handle and frying the port or the device on the other end.

I think I understand what you mean (see below), but after reading Benson's reviews of various USB-C appliances, I am not sure if USB-C to C is much safer...

Sorry, I didn't follow all that. I guess I'm not up on the latest hardware. I'm not user how USB-A is involved at all. Is there something different in port on the car/pc?

The USB port in your car (and ours) is USB-A. The cable you are using is USB-A to USB-C. I hope that clarifies it.
I believe what @Pool Float meant is that due to a number of different USB standards (including some very old ones) that are using USB-A, as well as a multitude of non-standard (manufacturer-made-up variations) uses of USB(-A) in various appliance, the danger involved in using bad cables with USB-A is much higher.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Just switched my USB cable to the one that came with my LG G6 and I still have the same issues with Android Auto. If I take a phone call while streaming Amazon Music, Google Play Music, etc., after the hangup the music continues playing through the phone speaker. I end up having to unplug and replug, relaunch AA to get my music back.

For a while I thought it was AA penalizing Amazon Music as I noticed when Google Play Music is streaming, Waze alerts didn't completely cut out the music. Spotify is the same result but I believe that my phone is ultimately the issue and is has been that way from Day 1 for me.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

Sorry, let me elaborate:

USB-A is the rectangle connector in the car and on computers
USB-B is the small square-ish connector that plugs into the back or a printer or external HDD
USB-C is the latest/greatest reversible plug

USB-C to C is much lower risk because the ports themselves know their limits and won't draw too much power.

USB-A to C is where the quality of the cable matters most. Because USB-A is the oldest standard and because of this, it doesn't have regulators smart enough to detect overcurrent, which is why cheap C cables can potentially fry them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts