Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 Sonata Hybrid Limited

I wanted to list several issues/quirks that I have noticed. Not sure if they are normal or if I'm the only one. Maybe others too?

1. Wind noise, yep got that.
2. Bluetooth connection to the phone drops randomly when driving. Usually happens about 2 - 10 minutes into a drive but is solid after. But again, it's random so has happened much later into the drive.
3. Turn signal cameras didn't work a few times. I would signal but no camera view for both sides. Maybe a fluke? Next drive, working fine.
4. Notice a high pitched whine (maybe from the electric motor?) when accelerating at a certain rate or when braking/regen at a certain rate. Not the usual electric motor whirr sound but a high pitched, maybe around a 9-10khz whine, like a coil whine or something. Is this normal?
5. EPB light came on. Scheduled an appt. which is a few weeks out. Few days later, EPB light turned off. Few days later, came back on...
6. The feeling of suddenly engine braking hard sometimes when braking/accelerating at lower speeds. Usually normal when on the gas but sometimes when I let off, sudden slow down as if I was in first gear in a manual, jerking my body forward fairly hard. Probably normal, not so smooth but normal.
7. The speedometer screen. Is it because of a low refresh rate? Weak processor? Camera? When using the turn signals, the camera view framerates are not good. Looks like maybe 15-20 fps? On a freeway or at higher speeds, almost useless because it's so choppy. MIGHT be the screen because drive mode select switch animations are also not the smoothest.
8. The weather widget is pretty terrible. I GUESS the city that it's showing is somewhere near my current vicinity...
9. The usual parking sensors going off when stopped in traffic. That's always fun.
10. When I was idling, the gas engine was on made a strange noise like something was off balance. A low oomph oomph oomph. I gave it a little gas and it seems to sound normal again. Maybe just a one time fluke.
11. When I am charging my Surface Pro 5 and leave it on the passenger seat, the seat sensor appears to get triggered and warns of the passenger not buckling their belt. Surface on the seat not charging is fine but I guess something about the charging sets off the seat.

Other than that, perfect car.

·
Registered
590 Posts
You have Quirks/issues like every other hyundai owner on her seems to have. with hyundais its hit or miss on having a good one. & the more feutures bells & wistles packed in them they dont seem to do well its a weak area along with there engines. these vehicles are cheaply built vehicles i own a 2014 2.0T S.F. 157.000 Canadian km's pretty basic vehicle for its time not a ton of gadgetry built in it. other than AWD, and your standard feuters in that year.

amazingly so far its been a great vehicle.! only real quirk i have are the plastic trim found around the lower part of the front seats cant stay on keeps coming loose. other than that its been a very dependable vehicle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sonata Hybrid Limited
Wind noise both driver and passenger, with music off at 60 mph around 88dB, quite loud, unsafe levels for long term hearing.

Steering wheel makes whining motor sound at low speed or stopped, its disconcerning.

Can't use Android auto on both split screen, have navigation and music for example.

Sometimes the lane warning don't work say a vehicle in front suddenly changes lane cutting me off.

Strangely when stopped the crash warning goes off. But say I drive close car in front to test if emergency braking and warning works, nothing.

·
Registered
443 Posts
After three months, finally got around to driving my new car. First thing I was curious about was wind noise as reported by others. After several 70-75 mph jaunts down back roads where i live happy to report that I do NOT seem to have an issue.
One issue I notice as other have reported is the car does NOT like to be driven 20-25mph. It is quite noticeable it does not seem to know where to rev/shift whatever.

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
562 Posts

I wanted to list several issues/quirks that I have noticed. Not sure if they are normal or if I'm the only one. Maybe others too?

2. Bluetooth connection to the phone drops randomly when driving. Usually happens about 2 - 10 minutes into a drive but is solid after. But again, it's random so has happened much later into the drive.
3. Turn signal cameras didn't work a few times. I would signal but no camera view for both sides. Maybe a fluke? Next drive, working fine.
4. Notice a high pitched whine (maybe from the electric motor?) when accelerating at a certain rate or when braking/regen at a certain rate. Not the usual electric motor whirr sound but a high pitched, maybe around a 9-10khz whine, like a coil whine or something. Is this normal?
5. EPB light came on. Scheduled an appt. which is a few weeks out. Few days later, EPB light turned off. Few days later, came back on...
6. The feeling of suddenly engine braking hard sometimes when braking/accelerating at lower speeds. Usually normal when on the gas but sometimes when I let off, sudden slow down as if I was in first gear in a manual, jerking my body forward fairly hard. Probably normal, not so smooth but normal.
7. The speedometer screen. Is it because of a low refresh rate? Weak processor? Camera? When using the turn signals, the camera view framerates are not good. Looks like maybe 15-20 fps? On a freeway or at higher speeds, almost useless because it's so choppy. MIGHT be the screen because drive mode select switch animations are also not the smoothest.
8. The weather widget is pretty terrible. I GUESS the city that it's showing is somewhere near my current vicinity...
9. The usual parking sensors going off when stopped in traffic. That's always fun.
10. When I was idling, the gas engine was on made a strange noise like something was off balance. A low oomph oomph oomph. I gave it a little gas and it seems to sound normal again. Maybe just a one time fluke.
11. When I am charging my Surface Pro 5 and leave it on the passenger seat, the seat sensor appears to get triggered and warns of the passenger not buckling their belt. Surface on the seat not charging is fine but I guess something about the charging sets off the seat.

Other than that, perfect car.
Update your infotainment system to get the weather over the internet. It’s vastly better. See the thread about map updates.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus, 2013 Sonata GLS
19 Posts
Well the window went down on its own and shattered inside the door. Now the steering wheel is making a grinding noise. The dealership has ordered the part for that. They said it was a worm gear or something like that. Should be fixed this week.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well the window went down on its own and shattered inside the door. Now the steering wheel is making a grinding noise. The dealership has ordered the part for that. They said it was a worm gear or something like that. Should be fixed this week.
Annoys me that you also have that weird grinding/winding sound from steering, I'm questioning whether Hyundai decided to forget quality control for this iteration of Sonata, and mine is the Hybrid made in Korea too... really disappointed. Two Kia Optima Hybrids = Zero issues. This **** thing after 600 miles, I got list of complaints that I want addressed at dealership. Pissing me off tbh.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus, 2013 Sonata GLS
19 Posts
Annoys me that you also have that weird grinding/winding sound from steering, I'm questioning whether Hyundai decided to forget quality control for this iteration of Sonata, and mine is the Hybrid made in Korea too... really disappointed. Two Kia Optima Hybrids = Zero issues. This **** thing after 600 miles, I got list of complaints that I want addressed at dealership. Pissing me off tbh.
It's a brand new car from the ground up. There are bound to be a few issues. As long as they are addressed it's not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sonata Hybrid Limited
Wind noise both driver and passenger, with music off at 60 mph around 88dB, quite loud, unsafe levels for long term hearing.

Steering wheel makes whining motor sound at low speed or stopped, its disconcerning.

Can't use Android auto on both split screen, have navigation and music for example.

Sometimes the lane warning don't work say a vehicle in front suddenly changes lane cutting me off.

Strangely when stopped the crash warning goes off. But say I drive close car in front to test if emergency braking and warning works, nothing.
I have the regular 2020 Hyundai Sonata 1.6T, with no issues. No wind no at all, perhaps you have better hearing than I have?

No noise with steering, I'm assuming both cars have same steering (hybrid vs regular).

Android works fine.

No issue with safety devices. Sometimes I purposely go close to cars that are turning into a street to the right, and the warning comes on the display)... but that is normal. No issues!

Best car I ever owned!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I wish there was a "back" or "return to previous screen" button on the steering wheel. Our subie has this function and solves the issue of using the touch screen while driving.

·
Registered
113 Posts

This is random. Some have it, some don't.

Never experienced it. You have a hybrid which has very different s/w than the mainstream Sonata's. Maybe bugs that'll be rectified with updates.

Never experienced it or heard it discussed. You're running different s/w.

Hybrid specific.

First report I've heard. You're running different s/w.

Hybrid specific.

I agree the frame rate isn't the greatest but I've never encountered an issue with legibility.

Indecia, the new weather provider, shows current location based on geo location. It also shows destination weather when using the nav system. I've never noticed it to be off but I haven't really paid it a lot of attention.

Common to all cars but someone brought up that Ford products trigger it. Mine hasn't gone off for a long time but yesterday it went off when I was behind a Fusion. Maybe who ever noted that is on to something. If that's the case and it's only Ford products is it really a Hyundai problem?

Hybrid specific.

All air bag occupancy sensors are weird.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Did you get this fixed? I'm trying to get a dealer to stop lying to me, this car has the most wind noise of any car I have ever driven.

·
Registered
97 Posts
theres no choice on where the automatic AC will point towards.

when its cold outside and i turn the heater on, it will only go towards my feet. when its hot outside it will only go towards my face.

its not possible to manually point cold air to the windshield. the only option is to split the AC between feet and windshield. once the windshield is selected the heater is automatically turned on.

if the HUD is turned off, i can see media information in the gauge cluster. if i turn on the HUD, that option goes away. the HUD will not show bluetooth information like the gauge cluster will.

hyundai removed the drive info widget for the infotainment with no alternative. i liked to see how long i have been driving.. now i only see it when i turn off the vehicle. it makes no sense to remove it.. the home screen supports 3 widgets, and had 5 in total to choose from. now there is only 4.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2020 SEL plus tech, I have none of the issues brought up so far. I do have an annoying cold startup idle RPM bounce. Bounces up and down couple hundred RPM for 10-15 seconds then it’s fine. Sounds like at least a few people say their car does the same.

·
Registered
518 Posts
2020 SEL plus tech, I have none of the issues brought up so far. I do have an annoying cold startup idle RPM bounce. Bounces up and down couple hundred RPM for 10-15 seconds then it’s fine. Sounds like at least a few people say their car does the same.
I have acquired via lease or purchase the following new Hyundai cars.
2012 Elantra GLS
2015 Sonata Sport
2017 Sonata Sport
2020 Sonata SEL White
2020 Sonata SEL Gray

All of these cars did/do what you have described to some extent

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have acquired via lease or purchase the following new Hyundai cars.
2012 Elantra GLS
2015 Sonata Sport
2017 Sonata Sport
2020 Sonata SEL White
2020 Sonata SEL Gray

All of these cars did/do what you have described to some extent
This is my first Hyundai. Sounds like a ‘normal’ thing and not much reason to be concerned. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
2020 Sonata 1.6T Limited, Stormy Sea w/ tan interior.
160 Posts
I have the sound when stopped or moving slowly into or out of a spot. I hope it is an easy fix, but I don't plan on having it looked at until I take it in for its first service/oil change. The steering operation doesn't seem to be affected and there is only that noise as described above.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have wind noise, but no where near 88db. Mine is a 2020 Sonata Limited that I picked up in early December. The other items I have not had happened. My big complaints, after 26,000 miles, though:
1. Wind Noise--starts at 45mph and doesn't seem to charge in loudness the faster you go--it is just there and annoying. I turn on the radio and I can usually get my mind off of it.
2. Front Seat Creaks--The driver seat (unknown about passenger) creaks while driving--you can feel it in your back/butt area. It sort of feels like the seat is trying to set into place but happens a lot.
3. General cabin pops--the worst area seems to be the B pillar next to the driver door where the ceiling and pillar trim meet. Pushing at this area seems to quiet it down for the remainder of the drive.
4. Water in rear door sill--Not a huge problem for me, it doesn't get the interior wet and only happens after a rain storm when the car is sitting. If coming home from a drive in the rain or driving after a rain without opening the rear doors first, the water will be gone.
5. The weather on the center console--what the heck. It nearly never displays unless I drive to a super large metro area. I think it is useless, and I wish they would go with Sirius for weather over HD Radio. I apparently missed the last two software updates--Hyundai switched providers and fixed this. I am so happy!

Improvements I would like to see (outside of the above):
1. Change the piano black around the shifter--it shows way too much finger prints and scratches super easy.
2. Software wise, I would like more customization of the gauge cluster (i.e. more music information would be nice) and that my mode I select would stay that way--I don't know what it has to reset to normal each time.

Overall, this is my first Hyundai and I love it...I would absolutely purchase another and the issues I have had are pretty minor compared to others cars I have owned (and this is the first gen of this model year, and I bought it right when production began, so I am okay with what I am seeing for the most part).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Improvements I would like to see (outside of the above):
1. Change the piano black around the shifter--it shows way too much finger prints and scratches super easy.
2. Software wise, I would like more customization of the gauge cluster (i.e. more music information would be nice) and that my mode I select would stay that way--I don't know what it has to reset to normal each time.
I second the request for these improvements! To add to that why can’t the cruise stay on? Ford makes you turn on cruise too, Chevy doesn’t. Just one extra step. No not the end of the world but kind of annoying

·
Registered
7 Posts
I second the request for these improvements! To add to that why can’t the cruise stay on? Ford makes you turn on cruise too, Chevy doesn’t. Just one extra step. No not the end of the world but kind of annoying
My last car was a Dodge and a Ford before that, and my SO has a Honda. I didn’t even know the cruise staying on was a thing, lol. Auto hold turning off also is an annoyance—just let me set my preferences and keep it.
I do know Ford makes you turn Lane Keep on each time, and Dodge made you choose between Adaptive Cruise and normal cruise—just let me choose.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts