Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new bulbs in yesterday, they are yellow 55w bulbs that I've bought from the same seller for the last 3years for all my vehicles. The problem is that with the sonata is that they don't turn on everytime I turn my car on, they will flash for a spilt second and then stay off. I have to turn them on and off a few times before they will stay on. They previous bulbs were Philips 35w bulbs so I was thinking maybe this car is sensitive to the 55w power so maybe they shut off to prevent any damage?? Anybody ever experience this before.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I had the same problem when I got my new high beam bulbs and the way I solved the issue was by purchasing a wiring harness that can withstand high temperatures so the bulbs don't melt the harness. I'm not sure exactly what it did but it worked.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I got my new bulbs in yesterday, they are yellow 55w bulbs that I've bought from the same seller for the last 3years for all my vehicles. The problem is that with the sonata is that they don't turn on everytime I turn my car on, they will flash for a spilt second and then stay off. I have to turn them on and off a few times before they will stay on. They previous bulbs were Philips 35w bulbs so I was thinking maybe this car is sensitive to the 55w power so maybe they shut off to prevent any damage?? Anybody ever experience this before.
You risk damaging the wiring and the housings/bumper area by using over wattage bulbs and at worse could start a fire with HUGS COSTS. I would recommend staying with OEM spec'd bulbs for safety reasons.

Larry

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
A 57% increase in the current draw on the circuit is pretty significant. I had several problems on a Lexus when I installed high wattage bulbs-- No fire but my wiring failed a couple of times (at the connectors) to the actual headlight.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Sounds like good advice from a few forum members. I would dump the 55 watt bulbs or send them back for a refund citing the problems encountered.

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
If you use the OEM wiring to trigger a relay then the relay carries the load. Should be what you need if you want to stay with the higher wattage bulb. Also makes up for any OEM wiring deficiencies if there are any.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I thought I replied to this, but when I ordered the bulbs I thought the fogs were originally 55w, so I was thinking I was ordering a OEM spec bulb. So I have ordered the same bulb in 35w and will see if they work. I'll keep the fogs off until then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts