Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Made an account to post here looking for some feedback regarding our 2016 Tucson 2.0 (Premium) and the issues we have recently started having when turning left. We had the one-touch turn signal feature on where you tap the signal lever and the turn signal flashes 3, 5, or 7 times then off. Noticed that sometimes when we would fully engage the signal to turn left and then complete the turn, the lever would snap back to neutral but the signal would still blink 5 times then off. So, I turned off the one-touch option thinking it was causing the issues. Now, sometimes (maybe 25 - 30% of the time) when signalling for a left-hand turn, the signal will not engage. We either need to press more firmly down on the lever or click it off and then back down for it to work. No issues at all signalling to the right.

We are still under warranty and mentioned this when we had it in for regular maintenance and the service guy just turned on the one-touch option again and said that it was supposed to operate this way. I wasn't the one dealing with the service guy so I couldn't argue at the time. I have since gone in and put the # of blinks down to 3 so at least I'm not signalling for 5 or 7 blinks after we have made the turn. And where this doesn't always happen the service person didn't see it for their self.

Am I wrong in the assumption that there is an issue with the signal lever/switch when turning left?

Thanks,
CJ

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,

Made an account to post here looking for some feedback regarding our 2016 Tucson 2.0 (Premium) and the issues we have recently started having when turning left. We had the one-touch turn signal feature on where you tap the signal lever and the turn signal flashes 3, 5, or 7 times then off. Noticed that sometimes when we would fully engage the signal to turn left and then complete the turn, the lever would snap back to neutral but the signal would still blink 5 times then off. So, I turned off the one-touch option thinking it was causing the issues. Now, sometimes (maybe 25 - 30% of the time) when signalling for a left-hand turn, the signal will not engage. We either need to press more firmly down on the lever or click it off and then back down for it to work. No issues at all signalling to the right.

We are still under warranty and mentioned this when we had it in for regular maintenance and the service guy just turned on the one-touch option again and said that it was supposed to operate this way. I wasn't the one dealing with the service guy so I couldn't argue at the time. I have since gone in and put the # of blinks down to 3 so at least I'm not signalling for 5 or 7 blinks after we have made the turn. And where this doesn't always happen the service person didn't see it for their self.

Am I wrong in the assumption that there is an issue with the signal lever/switch when turning left?

Thanks,
CJ
This is pure speculation, but it sounds like either the clock spring or the multifunction switch is going out. It's more likely the multifunction switch if it's only happening on one side, though.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
This is pure speculation, but it sounds like either the clock spring or the multifunction switch is going out. It's more likely the multifunction switch if it's only happening on one side, though.
yes likely the multifunction switch is defective, it'a a fairly precision switch in the way it functions , should work the same for both right and left hand turns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the prompt replies. Would this normally be something under warranty or could it be considered 'normal wear'?

I'm under the impression that the service tech was really just trying to mask the issue by turning on the one-touch again and hope we would just deal with the quirks.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
should be warranty - on most cars nowadays it's an easy repair, don't have to remove the steering wheel as the switch is mounted on the side and just a handful of screws, don't know specifically on the Tuscon but I did replace one on an elantra - 15 minute job.

Reactions: CJHamilton

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you for the prompt replies. Would this normally be something under warranty or could it be considered 'normal wear'?

I'm under the impression that the service tech was really just trying to mask the issue by turning on the one-touch again and hope we would just deal with the quirks.

Thanks again.
That is something you would have to speak to the dealership that the vehicle was purchased from about. The dealership I work at has a 12 month/12000 mile warranty on parts. Being as the vehicle is past that window, you are probably looking at having to pay out of pocket. Without your VIN number, I can't be certain but you are probably looking at around $160-$190 just for the parts depending on what you need.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
That is something you would have to speak to the dealership that the vehicle was purchased from about. The dealership I work at has a 12 month/12000 mile warranty on parts. Being as the vehicle is past that window, you are probably looking at having to pay out of pocket. Without your VIN number, I can't be certain but you are probably looking at around $160-$190 just for the parts depending on what you need.
if it's not covered by warranty I'd purchase the part from a discounted source and either do it myself or take it to an Indy. On most cars these days it's a module switch that mounts onto the side of the column - and usually under $100 but can't speak specifically to the Tuscon.

Is the warranty in Canada just 12/12 for non power train ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue. I brought it up with my service advisor and expected to get "we could not duplicate the problem." But, instead, they said they would replace the turn signal stalk under the warranty and it solved the problem. I wonder if this is a known problem.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have the same problem. The first time I raised it with my service advisor, they couldn't reproduce the problem. I will raise it again when I bring it in for service at the end of the month.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had this issue begin with me about a year ago. When this occurred, I would just reset the turn signal stalk position and hit the signal to turn left again and it'd be fine. It didn't happen often so I ignored it. However, recently, it happens more often to the point where it's annoying. When I try to signal that I'm changing to the lane on my left on a freeway, I get paranoid some idiot speedster isn't paying attention and might hit me. Luckily, I took video of the turn signal doing this, so I'm hoping the dealership service can resolve this issue.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I was just in for service today and brought this issue up again to them and gave them specific instructions to reproduce this. Which for me were to engage the left turn signal, and:

- See if it works at all
- See if it works and stops
- If it works at all, disengage it and see if it keeps blinking.

They were able to reproduce it and the are ordering me a multifunction switch. Thus it will be another trip to the dealer to get it fixed.

·
Registered
557 Posts
UPDATE: They ordered the part and it took three weeks to get here from Korea. But they ordered the wrong part.

#Fail.

They're now trying to rush the correct part in for "early next week." Interestingly enough, they started to take apart the steering wheel to replace the part and in the process, they must have done something to make the multi function switch work marginally better than it has in the past.

@CJHamilton: Did you ever get your issue addressed? If so, how long did it take?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

Thanks,
CJ
I have the same problem. The first time I raised it with my service advisor, they couldn't reproduce the problem in two times. I will raise it again when I bring it in for a recall service with A/C next week.

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having same problem in my 2016 Tucson. Not sure if it has the auto switch you talked about, but dealership said they could not replicate. They also told me there was nothing wrong with my Elantra that I traded in for the Tucson. About 2 months later, I received a recall notice for the elantra that dealt with exactly that problem. So don't really trust them to actually look/diagnose a problem. They tend to act as if I don't know about cars since I am a woman. But I know if something is not doing what it is supposed to do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts