Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am having issues with my mother's elantra 2015. The ESC indicator light turned on this past Sunday and has stayed on. I have a ODBII scanner, but did not find any errors. She had a flat tire on Thursday, rode on a spare on Friday, and got a new tire on Saturday ( not sure if this triggered it).

Has anyone ever encountered this issue before? I read about re-seating the negative battery cable, but I would like to find the root cause. I also held down the ESC button for 3 seconds but no success. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
426 Posts
My ESC indicator light has been on for a couple of years. The ESC system consists of sensors on each wheel hub, an acceleration sensor under the driver's seat and the main control unit on the anti-lock brake pump. It is possible that the flat tire damaged a wheel sensor cable. I have not checked the operation of each sensor for each wheel on my Elantra. The Hyundai dealer wanted $140 to check out the ESC system.

With the ESC indicator light on, the anti-lock brakes will not activate. The ESC will not brake one wheel under certain driving conditions. The brakes will act like a vehicle without anti-lock brakes. Since the operation of the ESC and anti-lock brakes was so rare on my vehicle, I do not miss it. The ESC light being on is irritating.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hello,

I am having issues with my mother's elantra 2015. The ESC indicator light turned on this past Sunday and has stayed on. I have a ODBII scanner, but did not find any errors. She had a flat tire on Thursday, rode on a spare on Friday, and got a new tire on Saturday ( not sure if this triggered it).

Has anyone ever encountered this issue before? I read about re-seating the negative battery cable, but I would like to find the root cause. I also held down the ESC button for 3 seconds but no success. Thanks in advance for your help!

OBD-II only applies to Powertrain (engine & transmission)

You will not get into the ABS/ESC module with OBD-II

No location called in profile in box at left under username.... but 2015,, if indeed in USA has a 5yr/60,000 basic warranty.... dont know about other markets

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello All,

So we dropped the car off to Hyundai and I was told that the ESC indicator is on because of a brake light issue. They replaced the fuse, however, the fuse blew out a few minutes later. They are charging a minimum of 3 hours of labor to run a diagnostic test, the cost: 454 dollars just for diagnostic. Unfortunately, warranty is no longer valid because we are over 60k miles. I told my mom not to drive the car at night until I get a second opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts