Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On two separate times my brakes felt that it buckled and gave away.....

The first time happened was when I was coming off the highway. I braked to reduce speed and my brakes just made a buckling noise and I felt like the resistance give away and the brake pedal went all the way down.. So instinctively I took my foot off the brake and tried to brake again and it seemed like nothing happened..
So as soon as I got home I called my dealer and told him what happened and he seemed to be amused by it and said that this was normal and there was no need for me to worry because it was the ABS function.. I told him that it didn't feel "normal" because I was probably going like 35 mph when I braked and I didnt slam on the brakes..

So I just brushed it off thinking it was "normal".. But it happened again yesterday as I was slowing down to turn into a parking lot...
Does anyone know what this is? On two occasions now my brake feels like it gave away while making some noise..

Please tell me that this isnt normal...

Thanks

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (PeterJ @ Jul 23 2010, 12:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344183
On two separate times my brakes felt that it buckled and gave away.....

The first time happened was when I was coming off the highway. I braked to reduce speed and my brakes just made a buckling noise and I felt like the resistance give away and the brake pedal went all the way down.. So instinctively I took my foot off the brake and tried to brake again and it seemed like nothing happened..
So as soon as I got home I called my dealer and told him what happened and he seemed to be amused by it and said that this was normal and there was no need for me to worry because it was the ABS function.. I told him that it didn't feel "normal" because I was probably going like 35 mph when I braked and I didnt slam on the brakes..

So I just brushed it off thinking it was "normal".. But it happened again yesterday as I was slowing down to turn into a parking lot...
Does anyone know what this is? On two occasions now my brake feels like it gave away while making some noise..

Please tell me that this isnt normal...

Thanks
Are you saying that the brake pedal goes to the floor when you apply the brakes?

The only two things that could cause that is either no pressure in the lines, which coudlnt be because if you lost pressure, it wouldnt just come back, or your brake fluid is overheating.

It is awfully hot in all areas of the country now, but there is no excuse for brakes on a car like the Sonata to have the fluid boiling. I would definitely take it in. Even if they cant find anything, having record that you reported it could go along way in case something bad happens as a result of brake failure.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike for your reply..
one the times that it happened it felt the pressure of some sort was released and the brakes just let go without any restraint.. Im not sure if Im explaining it correctly but to make it visual imagine pushing on a door and on the other side someone it holding it from closing and all of a sudden the person on the other side just decides to let go and you fall through... it was something like that..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called and they said that it doesnt seem normal so I may take it in tomorrow for them to look at..
Was just wondering if you guys knew what was wrong..

·
Registered
424 Posts
take it in, tell em u have 3 lawyers knockin at your door.

or just leave the car at their lot and throw them the keys, tell either fix it or lawyers get involved and you'll stop making payment. this only works if you have spare car to drive.

QUOTE (PeterJ @ Jul 23 2010, 05:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344261
I called and they said that it doesnt seem normal so I may take it in tomorrow for them to look at..
Was just wondering if you guys knew what was wrong..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (mayasonata @ Jul 23 2010, 08:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344301
take it in, tell em u have 3 lawyers knockin at your door.

or just leave the car at their lot and throw them the keys, tell either fix it or lawyers get involved and you'll stop making payment. this only works if you have spare car to drive.
hahaha very good idea I should do this and see their reaction and it should work out for me since I do have a spare car :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts