Hyundai Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't believe in coincidence--I think something happened during the SB953 software update (i.e. left it in diagnostic mode etc.).
For what it's worth, it didn't happen to me around any services and started a couple months before I had 953 ECU update completed. That's pretty bad they couldn't go down the ISG activation criteria. May want to refer them to service bulletin https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10158796-9999.pdf

·
Registered
33 Posts
last time the dealer looked at my car, they did validate that my battery SOH was not where it should be for a new car. The problem was that the battery could start the car so in Hyundai’s eyes, the battery is perfectly fine. On top of that, the dealer had removed parts from my car and forgot to reinstall them. So I am sorry that I don’t really praise the dealership for being all knowing!
Were you able to retrieve SOH without their proprietary GDS reader?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Here's a possible data point that I haven't seen mentioned in connection with the ISG failures. The ISG in our 2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.4 worked flawlessly and frequently until the Service Campaign 953 was applied on December 13th (last month)--it hasn't activated a single time since that date. I took it to the dealer this morning and they failed to find anything wrong with it, although they admitted that they couldn't get it to turn the engine off. It was apparent the service manager knew much less about the ISG system than I did (from reading the owners manual). He said to drive it and bring it back if it doesn't start working again.

I don't believe in coincidence--I think something happened during the SB953 software update (i.e. left it in diagnostic mode etc.). When I mentioned that, the SM asked me what diagnostic mode was. . .SMH! Has anyone else noticed the ISG fail after the software update?
There are a few of us that posted in the "953 MPGs" thread. You can read my posts and while it's cold winter in Minnesota, there has been some > 40F days where last year ISG worked. I'm not as ISG fan, sorta neutral on it.
I did notice one parameter it won't work is when the fan is running on high and in auto heat mode that happens a lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Were you able to retrieve SOH without their proprietary GDS reader?
no I can’t pull the SOH without other equipment that I just don’t want to buy.
However, when I did charge my battery and left it unconnected to the car, I noticed that the voltage was not sustained at 12.8v. While outside the car, the battery dropped from 12.8 to 12.55v in a matter of 2-3 days. This voltage drop should not occur in a new battery and reinforces the fact that it’s not very healthy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
no I can’t pull the SOH without other equipment that I just don’t want to buy.
However, when I did charge my battery and left it unconnected to the car, I noticed that the voltage was not sustained at 12.8v. While outside the car, the battery dropped from 12.8 to 12.55v in a matter of 2-3 days. This voltage drop should not occur in a new battery and reinforces the fact that it’s not very healthy.
Interesting. Perhaps they did have a bad batch of AGM batteries. Do you know your manufacture date (located on the door jam or similar I believe)?

·
Registered
184 Posts
TAGSF19U,

Sometimes, the answer to your problems are not simple. Car systems are complex, and to truly identify an issue, you need to go through a systematic approach to isolate the problem. A dealership model is setup to make money, such an approach is not in their best interest as it is not profitable. Also, a certified technician is simply a person who knows how to use the tools given to them by the manufacturer, they aren’t a person who can really dwell into a system and understand it inside out.
While somewhat complex I see far too much “speculation” and over-complication. More times than not, however, the answer is simple, but it’s over-looked, or ignored, by over-read conspiracy theorists!

·
Registered
11 Posts
While somewhat complex I see far too much “speculation” and over-complication. More times than not, however, the answer is simple, but it’s over-looked, or ignored, by over-read conspiracy theorists!
bwb .... I forgot to mention that I have a quality control sticker on my battery that indicates my battery had a SOC of 85% and a voltage of 12.8 at the time of install/manufacture.

the answer maybe very simple, I hope.
after all my investigation, I can say without any doubt that my problem is caused by the SOC of the battery. I have ruled out a bad sensor for the the SOC measurement that’s attached to the negative terminal.
I am speculating that since the car has no problem starting itself, the changing system is working.

what I think is happening is that the smart charger comes on and charges the battery then turns off during my commute. Unfortunately, Even though the battery charging system registers as having 12.8v (“full”) it’s far from charged. Therefore, when the car turns off, the voltage drops to 12.55 not too long after.

·
Registered
61 Posts
bwb .... I forgot to mention that I have a quality control sticker on my battery that indicates my battery had a SOC of 85% and a voltage of 12.8 at the time of install/manufacture.

the answer maybe very simple, I hope.
after all my investigation, I can say without any doubt that my problem is caused by the SOC of the battery. I have ruled out a bad sensor for the the SOC measurement that’s attached to the negative terminal.
I am speculating that since the car has no problem starting itself, the changing system is working.

what I think is happening is that the smart charger comes on and charges the battery then turns off during my commute. Unfortunately, Even though the battery charging system registers as having 12.8v (“full”) it’s far from charged. Therefore, when the car turns off, the voltage drops to 12.55 not too long after.
Is this the type of sticker you have on your battery?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks. It seems like 84% of a full charge would be a lot higher than 12.3 volts but all this SOC is new to me.
Thanks. It seems like 84% of a full charge would be a lot higher than 12.3 volts but all this SOC is new to me.
i would agree with you. Maybe their test isn’t that great and prints the same SOC for everyone.

When I took my car to the dealer and they hooked the car up to their tester, they registered 12.53v and 71% SOC. i thought those number would have been higher, since I just arrived at the dealer and had them test the battery within 15min of me getting there. The dealer is about 3.8 miles from my house

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes there are a very few people having issues with auto stop/start but the main reason your light goes orange is because you have your front defroster on. If you turn it off it'll work fine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Southern California, at some point ISG stopped working at all times. Here is dealership resolution.

CUSTOMER STATES STOP START FEATURE IS NOT WORKING , PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE VERIFIED CONCERN.
INSPECTED FOR CAUSE AND FOUND PCM IS NOT ALLOWING IDLE STOP START DUE TO BATTERY STATE OF CHARGE.
TESTED BATTERY WITH CADEX TESTER AND BATTERY TESTS GOOD.
CONTACTED TECH LINE AND WAS ADVISED TO RECALIBRATE AMS SYSTEM (BATTERY SENSOR).
PERFORMED AMS CALIBRATION, VEHICLE NEEDS TO SIT UNTOUCHED FOR MORE THAN 4 HOURS TO FINISH CALIBRATION.
PROCESS STARTED AT 9AM 02/03/20 RETESTED AT 2PM 02/03/20 AND AMS DATA STILL SHOWS BATTERY STATE OF FUNCTION AT 9.2V AND ISS NOT WORKING.
LET VEHICLE SIT OVERNIGHT AND RETESTED 02/04/20 715AM AND CONCERN IS STILL PRESENT.
DISCONNECTED BATTERY AND PERFORMED CAP DISCHARGE, RECONNECTED AND BATTERY STATE OF FUNCTION NOW READS 12.8V.
PARKED AND LOCKED VEHICLE FOR 4 HOUR SIT THEN WILL RETEST.
02/04/20 2PM - RETESTED AND FOUND CONCERN STILL PRESENT WITH DATA SHOWING ISS DISABLED DUE TO BATTERY CONDITION.
PER SERVICE MANAGER, REPLACED BATTERY AND LET VEHICLE SIT OVERNIGHT TO RECALIBRATE BATTERY SENSOR (REQUIRED WHENEVER BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED).
02/05/20 - RETESTED AND VERIFIED ISS IS NOW WORKING PROPERLY.

00275-24000 INTERSTATE BATTERY

·
Registered
43 Posts
I live in SOCAL. Same problem here. They initially replaced my starter to no avail. Then they replaced the battery and ISG is now working fine.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts