Hyundai Forums banner

261 - 280 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited
151 Posts
I think setup a YouTube video on this will have better response from Hyundai. It is not a component failure issue.
I would if I had the car, it has been in the dealer since Thursday, they said they got it working after resetting all the parameters and when they went for a final test spin, it was not working again. Extremely disappointing to say the least and losing confidence rapidly that they even understand how it works....

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
897 Posts
I would if I had the car, it has been in the dealer since Thursday, they said they got it working after resetting all the parameters and when they went for a final test spin, it was not working again. Extremely disappointing to say the least and losing confidence rapidly that they even understand how it works....
Well....utilize the lemon law if they can't fix it correctly.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,327 Posts
Grease monkeys can't fix software issues!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Well....utilize the lemon law if they can't fix it correctly.
Yeah, maybe Hyundai will fix it if there are yard full of good condition SFs with just one software bug.
For USA only, take advantage of it.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL 2.4l FWD
137 Posts
Post #22 in this thread will answer every question on the ISG system.

A fully charged battery will fix 90% of these problems.

As mentioned earlier keeping the key fob from communicating with the vehicle when it is parked is essential- if is allowed to communicate with the vehicle- guaranteed 100% to impact battery State of Charge . We keep our key fobs in a tin canister with the top on to eliminate this. (Even other vehicles key fobs could possible cause the Santa Fe to wake up)

Our battery ran down this winter when we didn't drive the vehicle for a couple of weeks during Covid-19. This is when I realized how essential it is to keep the fob from communicating with the vehicle when it was parked. Charged battery with my BatteryMinder to 100% and then began keeping the fobs in a tin cannister box when the cars are parked. Battery maintains charge perfectly and ISG works every time conditions are meant on our 2020 Santa Fe SEL with 4025 miles on it. We have had it for 1 1/2 years now and you can see it isn't driven much.
(Post #41 this thread) 2019 Santa Fe dead battery

This post is not meant to be argumentative or jerk someone's chain.

It is meant to help an individual who truly wants to understand the problem and get his system working.

Please take it in the vein

·
Registered
897 Posts
Yeah this definitely substantially impairs the value, use or safety of the vehicle, which is typically required for lemon law liability LOL.
One of the forum members already used lemon law to have their vehicle replaced due to ISG issues.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited
151 Posts
Got the vehicle back finally yesterday afternoon.
Yes it is working, green circled (A) popped on at a red ligt on the way home.
Yes they finally changed the battery.
I just don't get it. I suggested that they just put a new battery in and try it as my measurements from home indicated it was on it's way out.....but no, they had to go through 4 days of diagnostics, who knows how many hours of tech and supervision time and pay for a rental/loaner (they had no loaners available) for 5-6 days.
What did that all cost them vs. a battery?
My head hurts from shaking it in disbelief.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Got the vehicle back finally yesterday afternoon.
Yes it is working, green circled (A) popped on at a red ligt on the way home.
Yes they finally changed the battery.
I just don't get it. I suggested that they just put a new battery in and try it as my measurements from home indicated it was on it's way out.....but no, they had to go through 4 days of diagnostics, who knows how many hours of tech and supervision time and pay for a rental/loaner (they had no loaners available) for 5-6 days.
What did that all cost them vs. a battery?
My head hurts from shaking it in disbelief.
Probably had to check all the boxes before Hyundai allowed them to.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Let us know when it doesn't work again. It should not take long. It still works on mine, but very inconsistent compared to the first 1.5yrs.

·
Registered
19 SF Limited AWD 2.4
346 Posts
My ISG hasn't worked since last summer. I charged the battery with a smart AGM charger last week and it still doesn't work (interesting that the digital readout on the charger showed 60% at the start, so methinks I could get a new battery late summer as it's covered under the 3/36 warranty if it won't stay charged or perhaps the alternator is wonky). Anyway, I am not fond of ISG but will get it serviced so hopefully we get a new battery or system fix at my next late summer oil change. The 2019 2.4L is running fine otherwise: almost 20,000 mi now post COVID, just got honest 30 mpg mostly highway 420 miles.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I once bought a new battery directly from Optima for a Prius. The brand new factory shipped battery was delivered to me with a SOC voltage of 12.2 volts. I called Optima and discussed with Customer Service who said they would send me a new battery immediately. Went through the process of shipping the 1st battery back and the second brand new factory shipped battery has a SOC voltage of 12.0 volts. Okay I give up.

Bought a BatteryMinder that I still use today to charge the 2nd brand new factory shipped battery to an acceptable charge of 12.8 volts and let it top off for a whole day.

Morale of the story for me was a Brand New Factory shipped battery from the factory doesn't really mean a lot.

I would charge up any new battery myself for a couple of days before installing if possible.

It is impossible for the ISG System to work with an undercharged battery. There are a number of internal safeguards that require the battery to be sufficiently charged.

Post is an effort to share another's experience.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
943 Posts
I once bought a new battery directly from Optima for a Prius. The brand new factory shipped battery was delivered to me with a SOC voltage of 12.2 volts. I called Optima and discussed with Customer Service who said they would send me a new battery immediately. Went through the process of shipping the 1st battery back and the second brand new factory shipped battery has a SOC voltage of 12.0 volts. Okay I give up.

Bought a BatteryMinder that I still use today to charge the 2nd brand new factory shipped battery to an acceptable charge of 12.8 volts and let it top off for a whole day.

Morale of the story for me was a Brand New Factory shipped battery from the factory doesn't really mean a lot.

I would charge up any new battery myself for a couple of days before installing if possible.

It is impossible for the ISG System to work with an undercharged battery. There are a number of internal safeguards that require the battery to be sufficiently charged.

Post is an effort to share another's experience.
The dealer fully charged up my battery last week, and ISG still doesn't work. My other car has auto stop-start, and the battery is 3-4 years old, and the system works fine. This is beyond a battery issue, but I'm not wasting my time with the dealer for this feature to save a thimble of gas.

·
Registered
'19 Santa Fe SE 2.4L
413 Posts
I agree with @tex2670. The ISG is for the company, as a whole, to look better. It is not to improve YOUR gar's MPG, but it is meant to improve HYUNDAI's carbon footprint and lower emissions. Their thought process is - "If all the cars stop the engine at a red light or stop sign, then statistically the emissions #'s will go down." The function can be cancelled with the push of a button, so after you start your SF, push that button. I do, because the system is not as smooth as others, like Ford or Toyota, and the restart is slower than I would like it to be.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Just want to point out that SoC is not the voltage that you measure across the battery with a voltmeter. A voltmeter cannot measure SoC.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The new batteries from Optima were not installed when I measured the voltage they arrived at the house at.

So from the factory sitting in their shipping box the voltage measured was what I reported - they were not in the vehicle.

To my thinking in my post #272 "State of Charge" meant what voltage the battery arrived to my front door with. State of Charge could mean different things to others particular if you are speaking of an installed battery.

If that was confusing to others sorry bout the confusion.

·
Registered
2020 2.4 SEL FWD
153 Posts
Yep. This is an easy software fix. Just make the alternator charge the battery to the adequate level more frequently
What about alternators that always charge full speed ahead when the engine is running and no matter how far it's driven? I haven't seen my alternator output drop back to 13.2V since January 2020. And that's when I was driving with heat, lights and wipers.

My ISG has decided to function once in a while since the weather got hot but the alternator always shows a charge of 14.2 or higher.

·
Registered
897 Posts
What about alternators that always charge full speed ahead when the engine is running and no matter how far it's driven? I haven't seen my alternator output drop back to 13.2V since January 2020. And that's when I was driving with heat, lights and wipers.

My ISG has decided to function once in a while since the weather got hot but the alternator always shows a charge of 14.2 or higher.
I'm not sure....I wonder if there is something draining your battery...These alternators shouldn't be constantly charging. With the smart type alternators, once they feel the battery is charged enough, or if there isn't a demand for power, they should stop charging....BTW, just my thoughts...I don't have any readings to prove it.

·
Registered
2020 2.4 SEL FWD
153 Posts
I'm not sure....I wonder if there is something draining your battery...These alternators shouldn't be constantly charging. With the smart type alternators, once they feel the battery is charged enough, or if there isn't a demand for power, they should stop charging....BTW, just my thoughts...I don't have any readings to prove it.
I don't think there's anything draining the battery unless there's an excessively wild drain that only happens when the engine is running. Could that be the idiosyncrasy that makes the alternator charge to the max whenever the engine is running and screws up the ISG?

Otherwise, the battery never seems drained. The car has never failed to start or even had the slightest indication of slow cranking.

Now, I haven't driven or even started the car since May 20. My battery monitor software tells me right now (exactly three weeks later) the charge is at 70% and the voltage is 12.42. On May 20 when I shut it off it was 12.73 volts and 100%.

Hah, I want to get my wife a PHEV this year but I don't see how a SF would be a good one to choose. Jeez, if they can't figure out how to make a simple ISG function properly on so many cars, I bet their hybrids will be a disaster.

261 - 280 of 286 Posts