Hyundai Forums banner

241 - 260 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
971 Posts
it's the worst feature ever started. In reality, it does not save gas or emissions, it does strain your starter and battery system, and recently noted the chain tensioner wear on several posts.
Well who cares anyway? Based on all these threads, the feature doesn't even work. Mine hasn't worked since last summer.

Hyundai solved your problem for you - stop complaining about them.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited
160 Posts
Well, it's back in for it's third attempt to properly diagnose and repair this issue. To my surprise when I arrived at the dealer yesterday, they told me they were going to keep it for a few days and provided me a loaner.

I just don't get it, as the battery has previously been diagnosed as not being charged to the minimum requirement for this feature, why don't they just change the battery and see if solves the issue. .... duh

Somehow I don't think they are telling me the whole story and filling in the rest with BS

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
971 Posts
My car was in for service this week, and they looked at this issue. TSB told them to charge the battery, and if it doesn't fix the problem, then to move to the next step that requires another day or 2 at the dealer, sitting for 4 hours at a time before they start up the car again, blah blah blah. I told the service advisor I don't care enough about ISG to go thru all that; I just wanted them to verify there's nothing actually wrong with the vehicle.

So for all those putting the toothpick in the override button, looks like you may not really have to do that or anything for ISG to be defeated by "default". Mine hasn't worked in 18 months.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,342 Posts
The fix is in software. If only Hyundai knows how common the issue is. It is hard to fix a software problem in hardware; but easy to fix a hardware problem in software :LOL:

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
908 Posts
Well, it's back in for it's third attempt to properly diagnose and repair this issue. To my surprise when I arrived at the dealer yesterday, they told me they were going to keep it for a few days and provided me a loaner.

I just don't get it, as the battery has previously been diagnosed as not being charged to the minimum requirement for this feature, why don't they just change the battery and see if solves the issue. .... duh

Somehow I don't think they are telling me the whole story and filling in the rest with BS

Good luck lol!
I'm sure they want to minimize costs....so they are going to avoid installing a battery as much as possible

The fix is in software. If only Hyundai knows how common the issue is. It is hard to fix a software problem in hardware; but easy to fix a hardware problem in software :LOL:
Yep. This is an easy software fix. Just make the alternator charge the battery to the adequate level more frequently or allow the system to engage at lower SOC levels. My hunch has always been that it would take a small fuel economy hit....which would cause Hyundai lots of issues (possible penalties, retesting and certifying fuel economy, possible lawsuits, etc.)...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good luck lol!
I'm sure they want to minimize costs....so they are going to avoid installing a battery as much as possible

Yep. This is an easy software fix. Just make the alternator charge the battery to the adequate level more frequently or allow the system to engage at lower SOC levels. My hunch has always been that it would take a small fuel economy hit....which would cause Hyundai lots of issues (possible penalties, retesting and certifying fuel economy, possible lawsuits, etc.)...
I think that if they set the threshold to a lower SOC to engage, they wouldn’t have any issues with re-testing fuel economy. But also, I am not sure what that will do to deep cycling of the battery, that’s probably their concern. I honestly don’t know.

on another note, sometime I wonder if dealerships make you bring your car in multiple times for the same issue just to charge Hyundai more visits under warranty… makes me think it’s not in their best interest to have our cars fixed

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited
160 Posts
I think that if they set the threshold to a lower SOC to engage, they wouldn’t have any issues with re-testing fuel economy. But also, I am not sure what that will do to deep cycling of the battery, that’s probably their concern. I honestly don’t know.

on another note, sometime I wonder if dealerships make you bring your car in multiple times for the same issue just to charge Hyundai more visits under warranty… makes me think it’s not in their best interest to have our cars fixed
Total disagree. Them not being able to fix this is causing me to think of never buying a Hyundai again...... How would they benefit by that?

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited
160 Posts
My car was in for service this week, and they looked at this issue. TSB told them to charge the battery, and if it doesn't fix the problem, then to move to the next step that requires another day or 2 at the dealer, sitting for 4 hours at a time before they start up the car again, blah blah blah. I told the service advisor I don't care enough about ISG to go thru all that; I just wanted them to verify there's nothing actually wrong with the vehicle.

So for all those putting the toothpick in the override button, looks like you may not really have to do that or anything for ISG to be defeated by "default". Mine hasn't worked in 18 months.
Yeah, they did the battery recharge thing last time...... did not work, brought it in Thursday, on Fri afternoon I get a message from them that they are keeping the car until Monday.

Meanwhile the Bluelink app sent me a message Fri afternoon that the car's Panic alarm was set off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Total disagree. Them not being able to fix this is causing me to think of never buying a Hyundai again...... How would they benefit by that?
I am not saying Hyundai can’t fix it. I am saying privately owned and franchised dealers don’t fix it. A dealer is paid by the manufacturer to do warranty work. So if your car goes in for ISG problem 3 times, the dealer gets paid every time, no?
and this is a minor issue. Something people won’t think twice about (other than we the people on this forum). Even if mine stopped working tomorrow and never again, that wouldn’t be enough for me not to buy another Hyundai when it’s good value. If the Hyundai was the same value and not better than other brands, I would definitely look elsewhere. Just an opinion. To me a badge is not really important for a crossover. If I was buying something like a Porsche, maybe that badge means something.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
908 Posts
I am not saying Hyundai can’t fix it. I am saying privately owned and franchised dealers don’t fix it. A dealer is paid by the manufacturer to do warranty work. So if your car goes in for ISG problem 3 times, the dealer gets paid every time, no?
and this is a minor issue. Something people won’t think twice about (other than we the people on this forum). Even if mine stopped working tomorrow and never again, that wouldn’t be enough for me not to buy another Hyundai when it’s good value. If the Hyundai was the same value and not better than other brands, I would definitely look elsewhere. Just an opinion. To me a badge is not really important for a crossover. If I was buying something like a Porsche, maybe that badge means something.
I think it depends. Hyundai can deny covering cost that dealer does if it deems the actions inappropriate or doesn't approve for certain repairs...From what I have seen they usually have to get approval before replacing things.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think it depends. Hyundai can deny covering cost that dealer does if it deems the actions inappropriate or doesn't approve for certain repairs...From what I have seen they usually have to get approval before replacing things.
Replacing yes. I wonder if there is a flat rate for diagnostics they bill the manufacturer regardless if there is an issue or not. I really don’t know and I am only speculating

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited
160 Posts
You are missing the bigger picture, if they can't or won't is the same thing in my eyes. It tells me to never deal with that dealership again as they are not making the repairs in good faith. That goes both for service and buying a new car. If I feel the brand name was behind it then I would never buy another of their vehicles from any dealership of theirs.
My time is valuable too, and wasting my time returning to a dealer for multiple repairs on the same issue is insanity.
This particular dealership did not sell me the car. Yes I gave them the opportunity but they fell down on locating the car I want with particular bells and whistles. We never even got to the pricing business. I ended up going to a dealership 100 miles away because they had what I wanted in stock. I even told them upfront that I would not be returning for service due to the distance and still feel I got a fair price for the car and a fair valve for my trade.
There is a another dealership almost the same distance as the one I am using now, they just may be getting my future service business because of this BS, So what did the current dealership gain in the long run...one extra service??? very shortsighted IMO. If they made me a happy customer I would be loyal to them but obviously they don't care.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You are missing the bigger picture, if they can't or won't is the same thing in my eyes. It tells me to never deal with that dealership again as they are not making the repairs in good faith. That goes both for service and buying a new car. If I feel the brand name was behind it then I would never buy another of their vehicles from any dealership of theirs.
My time is valuable too, and wasting my time returning to a dealer for multiple repairs on the same issue is insanity.
This particular dealership did not sell me the car. Yes I gave them the opportunity but they fell down on locating the car I want with particular bells and whistles. We never even got to the pricing business. I ended up going to a dealership 100 miles away because they had what I wanted in stock. I even told them upfront that I would not be returning for service due to the distance and still feel I got a fair price for the car and a fair valve for my trade.
There is a another dealership almost the same distance as the one I am using now, they just may be getting my future service business because of this BS, So what did the current dealership gain in the long run...one extra service??? very shortsighted IMO. If they made me a happy customer I would be loyal to them but obviously they don't care.
i agree with you 100%. Unfortunately I am in a town with two Hyundai dealerships, both owned by the same family. So they know they don’t have to care. There is one Toyota dealership in my town with one of the lowest dealer ratings I have ever seen, but unfortunately it does very well due to a monopoly they have on sales and service. Dealership models just need to end.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,013 Posts
Yeah, they did the battery recharge thing last time...... did not work, brought it in Thursday, on Fri afternoon I get a message from them that they are keeping the car until Monday.

Meanwhile the Bluelink app sent me a message Fri afternoon that the car's Panic alarm was set off.
Good news. The panic alarm means that they are working on your car. That’s how they find it outside.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,342 Posts
I think setup a YouTube video on this will have better response from Hyundai. It is not a component failure issue.

241 - 260 of 288 Posts