Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have times when the ISG works fine. at stopped lights, car engine will shut down and ISG Symbol will light up green. Most times however, The symbol will light up orange, and will not activate during a long stop. Why is this? the owner manual states that the prerequisites for ISG must be met. I cant seem to figure out why it wouldnt be running on my vehicle. Anyone else having this issue, or know why this is?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same thing happens to me, there are times where the orange light comes on. I thought I haven't "met" all the conditions for it, but have been trying to figure out what the exact prerequisites are.

From my personally experience, when I give a firm press on the brake as I stop (not sudden stop but stopping, then firm press?) it seems to activate ISG more often.

I'd love to know any input on this as well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
There is a Service Campaign, T3M Santa Fe 24L ECM ESC Update 18 01 043, that addresses ISG improvements. Have you had this software update completed on your car? Here is what Hyundai sent me in a E-mail:

"We do apologize for the delayed response, upon further inspection of the service campaign that was completed on your vehicle. What was fixed was the engine starting performance and the idle stop and go operation improvement. If you have any further concerns we recommend for you to contact your dealership for further assistance."
For open campaign information, please visit: www.hyundaiusa.com/campaignhome

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am in the habit of turning off the ISG as soon as I start the vehicle. It is a bit of a nuisance but so is hooking up the seatbelt.
I think that when the engine shuts off then the rear brake must engage because you no longer have engine vacuum to operate the brake boost. So that means the parking brake servos engage and then disengage when the engine restarts and you step on the gas.
Because we live in frozen/icy/snowy conditions I will not ever use the parking brake in temperatures below freezing. I have experienced 'stuck-on' or draggy parking brakes too often.

This is my theory anyway and I would appreciate being corrected on this if I am getting it wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We've had our SF 2.0 AWD Ultimate for just about 6 weeks and put on over 2200 miles and the ISG function has never worked once, period! Always get the orange ISG light every time, can't figure it out. I did notice that the battery is at 66% today and yesterday it was at 64% if that matters greatly? BTW, we're in a cold climate so maybe that has something to do with it? :confused:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine works at the most random times. Coming up to a light that I will sit at for a minute? Engine Stays on. Pull into my driveway and about to park, shuts right off and then right back on when I put it in park. Also I had one strange experience; I was in a fast food line and the car shut off, well after 30 seconds or so it automatically restarted the engine, I guess the battery was draining, but anyways when it re started, even though my foot was on the brake the car jumped forward at least a foot, the tires even chirped. Almost hit the car in front of me. Needless to say I always hit the off button when I get in the car now. That is one feature I wish they could permanently disable or fix. I called about the service campaign for it and my dealer had no clue what I was talking about. Said my vin doesn’t bring up anything. So no help there. Told them about the issue where the car jumped forward and the tires chirped and they had no answers. Said I could bring it in but what are the odds of them recreating it?

·
Registered
227 Posts
We've had our SF 2.0 AWD Ultimate for just about 6 weeks and put on over 2200 miles and the ISG function has never worked once, period! Always get the orange ISG light every time, can't figure it out. I did notice that the battery is at 66% today and yesterday it was at 64% if that matters greatly? BTW, we're in a cold climate so maybe that has something to do with it? :confused:

Yes it does. ISG will not activate until your engine is at operating temp and if your hvac is in hi heating mode. If you drive for a while, get the cabin to steady-state temp - it will probably go on.
The battery level from the app seems mostly non-nonsensical info from posts I have seen.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Hyundai ISG criteria is not well stated in the owner's manual, and I've not seen it posted elsewhere. However, I have a F150 with the Auto Start/Stop (same as ISG for Hyundai) and Ford does list some pretty specific criteria for the Auto Start/Stop to engage on the F150. While I know it may not be the same exact criteria, one can assume it is similar. So, just as a reference, I'll post the criteria for the Ford F150 in the attached PDF file. Hope it give you all an idea of the parameters necessary before the ISG engages.

Also, this seems to be a feature that people really like or dislike. I'm not here do discuss the merits or convince others of my opinion, I'm really dislike this feature and would like to disable it like has been done on my F150. If anyone knows how to do this (without really hacking the vehicle up), I'd sure like to know how it is disabled..... Please share if you know how to disable it or default it to be disengaged upon startup.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Hyundai ISG criteria is not well stated in the owner's manual, and I've not seen it posted elsewhere.

Actually, the manual is pretty clear.

Prerequisites for ISG activation are: driver's seatbelt fastened, driver's door and hood closed, brake vacuum pressure adequate, battery sufficiently charged, outside temp between 14F and 95F, engine coolant temp not too low, system not in diagnostic mode.

Engine will automatically restart in these situations: manual fan speed above 3 with a/c on, auto fan speed above 6 with a/c on, certain elapsed time period with a/c on, defroster activated, low brake vacuum pressure, weak battery, shifted to P or R with pedal depressed or auto hold is activated, door opened or seatbelt unfastened while pedal depressed or auto hold is activated, epb pressed when auto hold is activated.

Mine works intermittently even with the above parameters being met. Can't say I'm a big fan of it so far.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I’m a big fan of the way the ISG works on our vehicles...when it works. Mine stopped working 4 days ago and nothing “under my control” can make it work. I already see a local mpg decrease of at least 1.5 mpg.

When it works, the ISG is smooth AND it does save gas. My ISG has actually gotten even smoother in operation over my 3.5 months of ownership.

Some folks would be thrilled to have it permanently disabled. I chose to get it serviced next week. It’s likely a faulty sensor.

·
Registered
143 Posts
As I stated in Post # 4 there is a Service Campaign, T3M Santa Fe 24L ECM ESC Update 18 01 043, that addresses ISG improvements. It's a software update only.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi everyone, I just posted the following on the Battery % Thread;

Just got my 2019 SF back from 1.5 weeks at the dealer because the Stop and Go wasn't working. They found out that when my car was manufactured the battery was charged at 78% and with Hyundai's "Smart Charging" system it will only charge the battery to the level it to the it was at when built, so when the battery reached the 78% level, the charging stopped. The only solution was to install a new one charged at 100%. The Stop and Go system (along with a bunch of other items) requires that the battery charge be at better than 80%.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Hi everyone, I just posted the following on the Battery % Thread;

Just got my 2019 SF back from 1.5 weeks at the dealer because the Stop and Go wasn't working. They found out that when my car was manufactured the battery was charged at 78% and with Hyundai's "Smart Charging" system it will only charge the battery to the level it to the it was at when built, so when the battery reached the 78% level, the charging stopped. The only solution was to install a new one charged at 100%. The Stop and Go system (along with a bunch of other items) requires that the battery charge be at better than 80%.
Aha! Too bad they had to keep your car so long to make this discovery. This is one of those reasons why buying a brand new model car is not always the best idea. Good luck to us all in getting these kind of niggling issues resolved.

·
Registered
262 Posts
-2 f isg

Actually, the manual is pretty clear.

Prerequisites for ISG activation are: driver's seatbelt fastened, driver's door and hood closed, brake vacuum pressure adequate, battery sufficiently charged, outside temp between 14F and 95F, engine coolant temp not too low, system not in diagnostic mode.

Engine will automatically restart in these situations: manual fan speed above 3 with a/c on, auto fan speed above 6 with a/c on, certain elapsed time period with a/c on, defroster activated, low brake vacuum pressure, weak battery, shifted to P or R with pedal depressed or auto hold is activated, door opened or seatbelt unfastened while pedal depressed or auto hold is activated, epb pressed when auto hold is activated.

Mine works intermittently even with the above parameters being met. Can't say I'm a big fan of it so far.
Outside temp 14 deg F huh Hyundai? I just drove home, car fully warm but -2F outside and the ISG kicked in. Started right up again, as mentioned before I am "neutral" on this function unless in 6 yrs outside of the 5/60 I need a new $300 starter on me for saving $100 (?) in gas.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah, I thought the same thing. 14-95 degrees? Not a real-world range. We'll have to see if the hotter states have problems with it. We're going have a -10 night tonight here. I'll be taking her out in the early morning to see if it operates.

·
Registered
10 Posts
mine also failed to work during my test drive prior to purchase. the dealer discovered that the computer codes needed to be changed via the obd2 port (on board diagnostics). it works now that that setting was changed, but not at all times. puzzling...

1 - 20 of 73 Posts