Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ISG quit a year ago...light comes on amber but does not shut car down. Dealer verified problem, and created a new one. So they want me to leave my car for an unknown amount of time to troubleshoot the problem. Apparently they need to do this over the phone with headquarters as their troubleshooting schematic does not produce the fix. I said OK, give me a loaner..they replied NO...WTF...I have one car, it is your problem, and I need it fixed. They already had my car for 4 weeks when it was only 6 months old to fix the AC, which is still messed up, when you step on the gas it starts blowing hot air... Anyway, catch 22, I cannot be without a car, I am elderly and disabled. I should not have to incur the cost of a rental when y car is under factory warranty and they cannot fix it without keeping it for an undertermined amount of time. It is a 2019 with 34000 on it, still under warranty, especially since it was already verified by a dealer as an issue. I have since moved to Florida and will see what the nearest dealer here has to say, but I am sure it will be the same song and dance puppet show. Hyundai customer service was a nowhere, just kept asking questions and then go silent with no solution.

· Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
1,874 Posts
Don't waste time on getting ISG fix. Many members already tried and got no result. Those that got it fixed were only temporary, by replacing the battery.There is nothing wrong with your SF if only ISG is nfw. It is a Hyundai design issue!

· Registered
3,106 Posts
Hyundai is overwhelmed dealing with busted engines that won't run.
They're not going to put any effort into dealing with engines that won't stop.
Doesn't make the car un-driveable or unsafe to drive.
it is your problem, and I need it fixed.
Need it badly enough to hire a lawyer etc?
Hyundai is counting on the answer being no.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't waste time on getting ISG fix. Many members already tried and got no result. Those that got it fixed were only temporary, by replacing the battery.There is nothing wrong with your SF if only ISG is mfw. It is a Hyundai design issue!
I heard something about battery issues causing this but can't confirm it.

· Registered
1,493 Posts
You forgot about the DCT trannies crapping out;). The OP can have my ISG, if he wants. Ha ha. I'd never even bother to call a dealer just for that, but to each his own :).

Reactions: mchris65

· Registered
1,874 Posts
Yes, those who got it fixed by the dealer had the battery replaced (though many reported ISG nfw again), or buy a battery charger to trickle charge every night (who does that in 2022 lol). You can pursue this with the dealer if you have the time and energy, and report back the outcome. Rest assured that nothing in your SF is broken/failed if only ISG is not functional. The fix is to revise/update the design by Hyundai, but it is occupied with DCT issue lol.

Do not follow up with posts on the manual shows all the requirements for ISG to work, low SOC, etc. These comments have been posted many times. Not helpful because it is an ill-designed system.

· Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
1,598 Posts
My ISG quit a year ago...light comes on amber but does not shut car down. Dealer verified problem, and created a new one. So they want me to leave my car for an unknown amount of time to troubleshoot the problem. Apparently they need to do this over the phone with headquarters as their troubleshooting schematic does not produce the fix. I said OK, give me a loaner..they replied NO...WTF...I have one car, it is your problem, and I need it fixed. They already had my car for 4 weeks when it was only 6 months old to fix the AC, which is still messed up, when you step on the gas it starts blowing hot air... Anyway, catch 22, I cannot be without a car, I am elderly and disabled. I should not have to incur the cost of a rental when y car is under factory warranty and they cannot fix it without keeping it for an undertermined amount of time. It is a 2019 with 34000 on it, still under warranty, especially since it was already verified by a dealer as an issue. I have since moved to Florida and will see what the nearest dealer here has to say, but I am sure it will be the same song and dance puppet show. Hyundai customer service was a nowhere, just kept asking questions and then go silent with no solution.
I decided it was not worth the hassle you described for this feature. Mine hasn't worked in 3 years and it doesn't bother me at all.

· Registered
2021 Santa Fe Calligraphy
228 Posts
Some have reported that it stops working if the battery isn’t fully charged. If you’re not driving much and the car sits for days at a time, that could be it. Personally I hate the feature and hit the disable button immediately upon starting the car.

· Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited
346 Posts
Unlike the many on here, I don't mind how the ISG works. Mine had stopped working less then a year after purchasing the car. After many trips to the dealer, they finally did replace the battery and it has been working fine for the last 2 years +/-.. I agree the criteria for ISG to work is a bit much and Hyundai could probably save a lot of money spent on Tech warranty by just changing the battery but they have their 'protocol" to follow which means check everything else first.

Didn't see in you profile where you now live in FL but stay away from Daytona Hyundai for service.

· Registered
1,493 Posts
If ISG was working before, it's not going to go 'bad'. If it doesn't work, it's because one (or more) of the myriad parameters hasn't been met. And yes, almost always it's the battery (not meeting voltage/current requirements) indeed.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK then...I have just replaced my 3 year old battery with a new one. I usually change out batteries after 4 years anyway, so this is just a little sooner. Point is, VOILA...ISG is now working. So, it is a fact that the charging system is responsible for not keeping proper charge in the system. I would guess that there is a low power regulator that responds to keeping the battery at high power capability and denies useage of the low power add-ons when it senses battery discharge, thus disabling non-essential sensors from working. I do not know how close I am to reality, as the ISG is the only thing that I have found to be non-functional when this occurs. This function has been out for over a year, so the battery from the factory is only good for about 2 years...and I live in Florida, so I would guess that vehicles in cold climate don't last that long due to high power draws. Funny the dealer did not mention this when I took it in for service, they gave no reason...

· Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
1,598 Posts
OK then...I have just replaced my 3 year old battery with a new one. I usually change out batteries after 4 years anyway, so this is just a little sooner. Point is, VOILA...ISG is now working. So, it is a fact that the charging system is responsible for not keeping proper charge in the system. I would guess that there is a low power regulator that responds to keeping the battery at high power capability and denies useage of the low power add-ons when it senses battery discharge, thus disabling non-essential sensors from working. I do not know how close I am to reality, as the ISG is the only thing that I have found to be non-functional when this occurs. This function has been out for over a year, so the battery from the factory is only good for about 2 years...and I live in Florida, so I would guess that vehicles in cold climate don't last that long due to high power draws. Funny the dealer did not mention this when I took it in for service, they gave no reason...
it's gonna stop working again within 6 months.

My 2019 is 3.5 years old; the battery is just fine, and it was 15* here last weekend. I don't give a dang about ISG; when mine stopped working, I asked the dealer to look at it under warranty at my next service. They said they'd have to do more digging, I'd have to bring it back for another appointment, etc. etc. No thanks - so the car doesn't shut down at a stop light--BFD. Don't care.

· Registered
1,874 Posts
@yrsbaby, your finding is not new, it has been discussed in other threads. The desirable solution is for Hyundai to lower the battery threshold in the ISG system. Replacing battery frequently as a workaround is costly and not environmental friendly.

I don't change battery if <6yrs old, and I had kept batteries for up to 8yrs. It is uncommon for batteries to be unusable less than 4yrs because that happens to be the typical warranty 😆. The AGM battery in the SF supposed to have longer life span.

Enjoy your function ISG 😃

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First AGM battery for me...I honestly care less about the ISG as I am not convinced you save much...but I really haven't done a data collection and seen the results, not gonna either...but I am a stickler for things installed to work properly. I leave it on as well...haven't had any issues with it other than it's failure to function. I know some people dislike the feature.

· Registered
1,493 Posts
I have just replaced my 3 year old battery with a new one. Point is, VOILA...ISG is now working.
Told you. Ha ha. Hey, which battery did you replace it with? Saw that it's 70Ah/760CCA, but it doesn't say if it's an H6, or which other 'group'. Curious about that. And finally, these stupid vehicles have a ton of parasitic losses, so even though I religiously charge my battery, I don't see it lasting more than 3 years. If I leave it unhooked for a few days, my charger shows red/yellow, which is a pretty deeply discharged state. I can leave my BMW motorcycle unhooked for 2 weeks, and the charger still shows green, and it also has keyless ignition. The G70 discharges less, but it's not far behind. They're probably the worst 2 vehicles I've owned on that regard. The 2021 Palisade Calligraphy didn't discharge nearly as much; it was MUCH better, and it has pretty much the same tech as the SF; not sure why the drastic difference. Oh well. Needs to keep charging both vehicles every few days.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts