Hyundai Forums banner

Is used 2017 Santa Fe Sport AWD a good choice compared to Rav4?

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  greysave 
#1 ·
I have been trying to decide between used Rav4 and Santa Fe Sport. Test drove a few of each and ride quality seems to be better in Santa Fe Sport. We currently own a 2009 Santa Fe 3.3 engine and been happy. How is the 2017 model? Any major issues? I dont doubt the Rav4 in reliability, but how does Santa Fe sport compare to it? Been looking at previous lease vehicles around 30k miles.

Thanks

#2 ·
I have been trying to decide between used Rav4 and Santa Fe Sport. Test drove a few of each and ride quality seems to be better in Santa Fe Sport. We currently own a 2009 Santa Fe 3.3 engine and been happy. How is the 2017 model? Any major issues? I dont doubt the Rav4 in reliability, but how does Santa Fe sport compare to it? Been looking at previous lease vehicles around 30k miles.

Thanks
I am interested in the replies to your question. I am in the market and looking at the SFS 2017. I think I will go for the FWD.

#3 · (Edited)
My 2 cents: The SFS Sport was introduced as a 2013 model, and ran until 2018 - replaced by the current generation Santa Fe. The 2017 you are looking at would have improved on a lot of the teething problems Hyundai may have encountered during the first couple of years of the model. Remember that manufacturers for the most part do not just sit back and move on after a model is introduced. There are refinements and manufacturing improvements that keep happening. New features are also added based on initial customer feedback.

You will find the RAV to have better driving dynamics, but has rather austere (IMO) interior compared to the SFS. Although the SFS has nicer interior (again IMO) the re-sale value of a Toyota will always beat a Hyundai in any market. If that is of big concern to you, then go for the RAV. If you prefer nicer (ie leather seats, rear seat heaters, etc) go for the SFS - especially if you happen to keep you cars a long time.

Regardless of which vehicle you decide to purchase or lease, avoid first production runs of a model, go with a later production . . as in your case, I personally would go for a 2017 or 2018 (although, I personally have had good experiences with my 2013 - which I bought used.)

Good luck.

#4 ·
Good points above.
We went from a 2015 Tucson SE to a 2018 RAV4 LE and found it very noisy. The interior was super bland, all black and boring plastic, felt like a very basic truck without truck capabilities. I got rid of it soon.
The 2019 RAV is a redesign and people are complaining it is noisy!
We also had a friend with a 2018 Limited and I drove that one to see if our LE had a problem (dealer said it is fine) and it has the same noisy drivetrain.

#7 ·
I've driven each. The RAV4 is jumpy and buzzy, while the Sante Fe is more refined. The ergonomics and tech are light years ahead in the SF as well. Two thumbs down for the RAV4.

#8 ·
I have driven both and generally agree with the above comments about the SF being quieter and more refined than the Rav4. I would say the same is true versus the Chvrolet Equinox and its siblings except perhaps for the premium edition.

Now the Rav4 IS available as a hybrid. The savings in fuel might be enough to offset the negative factors for some people.

Now if you are in an area that has a decent winter....I have driven around RAV4s that were stuck in deep snow due to their lower ride height. That doesn't happen often, but if a heavy snowfall it can make a difference. That lower ride height also places you lower and perhaps into the high intensity zone of the headlamps of oncoming vehicles. Ride height is about more than just snow...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.