Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my near death experience near Christmas, I decided to get a quote for 15'' snow tires and steel rims. On one website, it pressures you to get TPMS for $60-80 more. One website has an awesome price and it doesn't mention anything about TPMS. I don't car if the TPMS light comes up, but do I need it?

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
Yes that is why it is on your car. Not many TPMS police out there though.

I took my Accent in for a leaky axle seal for warranty. They saw the TPMS light and wanted to check into it. I told them it had aftermarket wheels and no sensors. They just looked at me funny and said Oh....

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I'm reading that TPMS is required by federal law :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
That's true. Pretty heavy fines for a tire dealer who doesn't install TPMS......
However what you install is your business :=)
BUT if you get caught there is a big bonus..... free accommodations...Free meals .. Free health care .. No mandatory Obamacare :=)

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
I always take the wheels in loose to have tires put on. You get around the pesky regulations that way. If you want different sized tires other than what came on the car that's what you have to do.

My Genesis Coupe came with optional 19" wheels, 18" are the standard size. They will not mount tires on 18" wheels for that car due to what the door sticker says. Even if you want to put on wider or taller tires this is what you have to do.

When you order tires and wheels from somewhere like the tire Rack you get the option or TPMS sensors or not.

No body is going to jail for not having them on your car.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I don't care for tpms. It's called using my eyes and looking at my car every morning or night to see if the tires are low.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I had somebody try to tell me that my putting electrical tape over the TPMS light was like disabling an airbag and that I could be fined accordingly.

I told him that I was starving and to give me my McChicken and french fries.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I did a little reading. TPMS warning alerts drivers to the immediate danger of a rollover - pressure so low, you're riding on the radials. Ford Explorer rollovers is what started the NHTSA investigation. It's also supposed to prevent sudden tire failure such as tread separation that comes from extreme low pressure. It wasn't clear whether TPMS was not able to alert for sudden structural failure (e.g., hitting a curb or pothole), or if that was just an example of fast failure unrelated to low pressure.

I've never found a dangerously low tire during a routine pressure check. But I did spot two flats in the parking lot, so visual checks do have their place. I don't check every time, I got lucky.

I've had two on-the-road sudden failures, one from a nail puncture. The 'thump' pulled me over, and it held a little air, protecting the rim. It was a different story when I hit a nasty new pothole at 45 mph. The car steered fine (no resistance, no pull), no thump, but the bounce felt a bit spongy. I pulled over, it was halfway flat, and seconds later it was flat down to the rim. The tire guy said stopping early saved the rim, they'd already had half a dozen drivers with rim damage, and they all said they stopped at the first sign of trouble. This was pre-TPMS, so if TPMS gives a warning even a few seconds early, it could save rim damage.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did a little reading. TPMS warning alerts drivers to the immediate danger of a rollover - pressure so low, you're riding on the radials. Ford Explorer rollovers is what started the NHTSA investigation. It's also supposed to prevent sudden tire failure such as tread separation that comes from extreme low pressure. It wasn't clear whether TPMS was not able to alert for sudden structural failure (e.g., hitting a curb or pothole), or if that was just an example of fast failure unrelated to low pressure.

I've never found a dangerously low tire during a routine pressure check. But I did spot two flats in the parking lot, so visual checks do have their place. I don't check every time, I got lucky.

I've had two on-the-road sudden failures, one from a nail puncture. The 'thump' pulled me over, and it held a little air, protecting the rim. It was a different story when I hit a nasty new pothole at 45 mph. The car steered fine (no resistance, no pull), no thump, but the bounce felt a bit spongy. I pulled over, it was halfway flat, and seconds later it was flat down to the rim. The tire guy said stopping early saved the rim, they'd already had half a dozen drivers with rim damage, and they all said they stopped at the first sign of trouble. This was pre-TPMS, so if TPMS gives a warning even a few seconds early, it could save rim damage.

My work's Silverado's TPMS went off. The full-size spare tire was 2 below recommend PSI. I guess it varies with manufacturer. It was funny because we spent 20 minutes inflating all 4 tires and we thought it was a faulty TPMS sensor...but nope.. no one thought about checking the spare tire lol

·
Registered
370 Posts
It's supposedly a national standard, the warning triggers at 75% of mfgr's recommended pressure. Donut tires are often rated lower, and spares don't have to be monitored, but for a full sized spare, false alarms would be annoying. I did see complaints about spares, maybe the horizontal position messes up the reading?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I had somebody try to tell me that my putting electrical tape over the TPMS light was like disabling an airbag and that I could be fined accordingly.

I told him that I was starving and to give me my McChicken and french fries.

In Ontario, every used car has to pass a safety inspection before being plated for a transfer of ownership.
The requirement of the car to have operating airbags is NOT a requirement for a passing safety certificate. Ya, I thought it odd too... but true.
TPMS is not mandated here... therefore it would not need to function either to pass if the car was so equipped (some models are).
But have a burned out exterior light bulb or a rust hole, horn that won't sound, etc.... and you fail... along with the obvious like brakes, tires, exhaust, steering and suspension condition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts