Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My VC was built in November of 2011. I purchased it in August of 2012. Like most on this forum, I am thrilled with my new vehicle and very impressed with the build quality.

After reading on this forum about the minor oil leak from the gasket in the area of the alternator, I decided to inspect and see if my vehicle is exhibiting any signs during my third oil change this morning. The vehicle currently has 14,028 miles. There are no signs of leakage that I can see. My alternator had some soot on the front near the radiator which I wiped off. It seemed more like dust from the belt than oil, however upon close examination, it seemed as if the coil in the alternator was oily. I took a photo so that some of you that have observed this can comment.

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
fwiw, i checked my alternator sunday as i have read about the gasket, but never checked the alternator. i routinely check the oil...because the sonata ('11) model would lose about 1/2-3/4 qt every oil change interval.

veracruz hasn't lost any oil, yet, nor does it show any signs of oil on it. i reached down and wiped it...but, all it had on it was dust. no oil whatsoever. *whew*

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i think you're getting a little frightened by the stator windings on your alternator. its copper wire that has been coated to prevent the windings from rotting out. it gives it a bit of a slick look which you're mistaking for oil. nothing to worry about :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for all replies, especially zero_gravity. I didn't realize that the copper windings were coated. That is no doubt what I am seeing

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I've expressed similar concerns in this forum, but would agree with the majority here. Don't worry unless it feels grimy and starts to accumulate a black gunky coating. But if sbr711's word means anything (and I believe it does) it shouldn't be an issue on newer models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That amber color you're seeing is varnish they dip the copper windings in to keep them stable and prevent vibration related wear. You're all good.

41 Posts
We had an issue where the battery would die. Once charged it was good..but within weeks, went to start it and dead again. Dealer couldnt find the issue during one try...next time around said the break switch was bad and replaced (under warranty)...third time it dies I had it towed and told them to find it. This time they found the alternator shorting out from the oil leak. The covered the gasket replacement and the alternator however they said the battery was now shot and charged me for a new one. I should have checked here as if it was a known issue, I would have pushed for the battery under warranty since it was caused by the other issue. Don't know if it would have worked.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
@VicHyundai,

It might have worked. One question is how early you first reported the oil leak to the dealer, or paid them to inspect your vehicle. If they never saw the vehicle until the alternator was heavily fouled then they can argue contributory negligence on the part of the owner. Some Santa Fe owners report the alternator not being covered, on the grounds that they waited too long to report the oil leak.

Another question is how old your battery was at the time of failure. If you got, say, 3 years out of it, then it's hard to argue for a freebie given that batteries are a normal replacement item not covered under warranty. You probably did get cheated out of a couple years' service life, but for what it's worth you've got a new battery now that should be good for quite awhile.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
What a mess.

Max, to put the oil loss in context for the rest of us, did you ever have to add oil between changes? Or was it just a slow leak that was easy to ignore?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi I just upload a quick video on how to replace a 2010/11 Hyundai Veracruz Alternator as here in Brazil Hyundai did not make the recall.
My car was still under warranty but no deal with hyundai.
So I bought a new one and replace it.
Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2wJ8C88q5Q
After replacing I have opened and cleaned the old alternator and the problem was the brush holder so I ordered a new one (US$ 10.00) and will replace it so I will have a spare alternator just in case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts