Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to get familiar with the sounds my new to me car makes... does anyone else with a first gen (01-06) hear what sounds like a “thssss” sound or almost like the sound a sprinkler makes when your driving past a wall where the sound can reflect off of it. It’s not the brakes because it happens when your not touching them. Is that sound normal or should I get it checked? When parked I can’t really hear it all I hear is the timing belt turning.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not sure, does it increase or decrease with speed? Maybe, if you only hear it when driving, could be tire noise,(check for feathering-lead edge of a tread block is higher than the trail edge of the same tread block, or vise versa) wheel bearings, brakes or...???
Check fluids in diff (& transfercase if AWD) just for piece of mind.

Just some thoughts without hearing it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure, does it increase or decrease with speed? Maybe, if you only hear it when driving, could be tire noise,(check for feathering-lead edge of a tread block is higher than the trail edge of the same tread block, or vise versa) wheel bearings, brakes or...???
Check fluids in diff (& transfercase if AWD) just for piece of mind.

Just some thoughts without hearing it.
The strange thing is it seems to come and go, I took it to my mechanic and he couldn’t hear anything. He just did brakes a week ago but it happens weather stepping on them or not.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
When you drive past a bunch of posts near the road, you can hear a sound just as if you were standing still and the post were going passed you.So, the sound of the wall is what you're hearing. Normal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you drive past a bunch of posts near the road, you can hear a sound just as if you were standing still and the post were going passed you.So, the sound of the wall is what you're hearing. Normal.
I hear it reflecting off side solid walls too, I’ve never heard that with any other car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts