Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2009 Santa Fe, and when I turn on the windshield wipers, they don’t seem to swipe very far left. The driver-side arm stops before it’s even vertical, leaving a large area that is not wiped at all. See attached picture, where I highlighted the wiper at its left-most position in red. Is this normal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,785 Posts
Where is the left wiper blade positioned when the wipers are switched off?
If it is isn't sweeping all the way to the left edge of the screen I'd expect it to be off the bottom of the screen when it's parked.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Or one of the blades could have been frozen to the windshield causing one of the arms or connecting rods to become bent.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
To answer the question ...
No, it is not normal.
But, of course, you already knew that.

First do a visual inspection
Check to see if wiper arms are in the correct park position
If not then they need to be realigned.
Many youtube videos on that.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks all!

Actually — they are in the correct “park” position (horizontal). So ... does that mean something might be wrong w/ the wiper transmission/linkage assembly? That’s stuff is not visible w/o having to take a bunch of covers off...

Crud!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,785 Posts
So ... does that mean something might be wrong w/ the wiper transmission/linkage assembly?
Yes, something "might" be wrong w/ the wiper transmission/linkage assembly. But I would check that the nut securing the wiper arm to the spindle is fully tight before stripping off the scuttle trim/cover.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
In that situation, does the arm kind of slip, so that it doesn't rotate all the way?
Yes. The clearance between the splines in the shaft and arm increases (steel shaft, aluminum arm). But the nut will only go so far down the shaft before running out of threads. This also works if the threads are stripped for the nut.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts