Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..."for my own good"? Three times this has happened: left curve taken fairly fast, I feel what seems to be a brake activating 3 times or so. The last time, I went back and did it again, so it's repeatable. I'll try it again tonight with ESC off.

The road was totally dry and I didn't feel out of control and I have a totally stock setup. My MINI Cooper never did that, and it had skinier tires.

Is this ESC working "for my own good", as in a nanny type of thing? Government mandate? Could there be revised programming out? In any event, annoying.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's only ever activated on me when I pull my handbrake going around a corner on gravel. It really does not like any tire slip when the throttle is active.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On this curve, the first two times I noticed it was in Neutral. When I duplicated it in Drive, it happened again. No throttle first two times, and probably not the third.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Does it constantly on my Veloster. Happens usually at a (relatively) low speed, in tight corners.

It's initiated by the TCS - it "detects" a difference in wheel-speed(s), and dumps the throttle to cut-power. With the suspension loaded-up heavily and a sudden engine-braking effect to the front end, the car wants to go-into snap-oversteer and bring the ass around. THEN the ESC kicks in to "prevent" what the TCS just initiated in the first place.

I've never had it happen in Neutral, or with the clutch in (all attempts at trying to Quantify the "problem").

I have complained to Dealers over and over about it, the response? "Problem not found".

F'-em.

All of 'em.

I just drive with TCS turned off.

My Bullitt, with nearly 3X MORE horsepower does not have anywhere near as Intrusive a TCS as this car.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Most used switch in my i30 is the 'ESP OFF' switch. It is dang annoying and in my opinion dangerous. Trying to turn across a multilane highway quickly only to have 'big brother' decide 'oh that's wheel slip i'll just shutdown the engine momentarily is suicidal. Plus I find in Australia where we have secondary roads with small round stones on the shoulders the ESP continually activates as the car 'drifts' slightly, the ESP operation makes the car seem unbalanced and unpredictable, both ingredients for disaster.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Get better tires. The TSC/ESC kicked on more often with the crappy kumho OEM tires the car came with (and got progressively worse as the tire lost its tread over time), than it did since getting newer/better tires.

·
Registered
125 Posts
this is the result of using a torsion beam rear suspension without a rear anti-sway bar, unlike ford , Nissan , or vw who use both! some genius in korea decided to use the esc as an electronic anti-sway bar, but it does not do as good of a job as the real thing. the el-cheap-o setup saves a few dollars in cost/profit , as does the absence of a real spare tire.
I added a donut spare , upgraded to yoko avid 195/55x16 tires. I would have a shop add a sway bar if I was going to keep the car long-term.

I had an elantra suddenly bunny-hop at high speed and it got totaled on the interstate. I would not touch another elantra or veloster ( mutant elantra with an accent engine) until they correct this. you can get away with it somewhat in the accent due to lower weight.
a couple of Hyundai execs were recently forced to resign and I hope the genius who dumbed down the rear suspension was one of them. the 09 elantra touring I had came with i.r.s. , just like the current kia cee'd.
never acted like the current accent (stock) and elantra /veloster did , and cost much less.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts