Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just wondering if this recommended service from the dealership is legit or more so a waste of money. I’m in Canada if that matters. I brought my 2015 Elantra in for an oil change, it’s currently at 70,000km. The service advisor tells me that at the 60,000km point (which I’m passed) he recommend something about a cleaning relating to direct fuel injection and carbon buildup. I’m not a car person so wasn’t exactly sure what he was talking about and can’t give much more detail then that, sorry. But on the invoice it says “BGFUEL PERFORM BG INDUCTION AND INTAKE SERVICE WITH FUEL ADDITIVE”. It also says I declined it since I wasn’t sure if it was needed or not so I told him I’d do it next time. It’s $180.

I do see in my owner’s manual that every 12,000km I should add fuel additive if top tier gas isn’t being used. Not sure if this is related to the service he recommended me. FWIW I do use top tier gas like 90% of the time.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Your car does not have a GDI engine, which is what that service is usually applied to. At most, yours would have a throttle body cleaning which can be done in about fifteen minutes with common throttle body cleaner. And the "fuel additive" can be purchased at any good auto parts store for <$15. Techron Fuel System cleaner, add to a tank of gas about every 25KM or so.

In other words, no. That cleaning service is designed to clean out your wallet. Ask your dealer to show you that recommendation in your owners manual.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I can't speak for Canada. In the USA, any "Required" service would be listed in your owner's manual. As long as you follow the required service as written in the owner's manual, you should be good. Anything "recommended" by the dealer should be researched, which is what you are doing. Good for you.

I had to look up what the BG Induction Intake Service actually was. It appears to be a 3rd party system for cleaning any deposits. Simply stated, a throttle body cleaner and a gas tank additive. Unless I had an idle problem, I would throw in a can of Techron (on general principles and peace of mind. Why not?) and go out for a real nice dinner with the savings. Personally, I have not used Techron in my 2012 E.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts