Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
QUOTE (rickyrickthedj @ Apr 18 2010, 03:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314361
please someone tell me this is a joke....really Toyota #1?? is it not 2010 with all of thier stuff going on?? can someone make light of this please?? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcFHLtJdg5A...feature=related
I think it's a lump sided decision trying to get Toyota back on the pedestal. If you noticed, they tested an SE and compared it to the LE model of Camry. Why don't they do comparisons apple to apple?

·
Registered
87 Posts
QUOTE (rickyrickthedj @ Apr 18 2010, 03:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314361
please someone tell me this is a joke....really Toyota #1?? is it not 2010 with all of thier stuff going on?? can someone make light of this please?? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcFHLtJdg5A...feature=related
This review was a comparison of "Which sedan is the best for the family" which is basically "which sedan is the most boring, comfortable, easy to drive car for mid-western housewives and your mother-in-law." ... They tested a Sonata SE - the sports-tuned edition - against a Camry LE and other non-sports models. Then they complained that the ride was too harsh compared to the others - well duh! Test the Limited or GLS if you are comparing comfort!! The SE is meant to be firmer, and it is sportier than any other midsize.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Problem for years is with Motor Trend. Even when some cars are failing on their face (or hood) during the "long term" tests they will find hand full of excuses to help some makers. I remember once reading their review and long term test for new Jaguar which failed to start numerous times and had many "critical" electrical problems - anyone with brain in the right place would say what you should say in this case - total FUBAR, but yet MT crew praised the car and Jaguar...hands down. Best thing to do is just ignore them...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Something Ive learned over the years is you really need to take magazine rankings with a grain of salt.

For the most part, the reviews themselves really tell the story. When a car magazine does a group comparison, they can only test the actual model they were given. Often times, this causes "mismatches" between two cars that are very similar because one model might be the "sport" version (SE for the Sonata), and they might compare it to a "luxury" model of another car.

So, in a family car comparo, a sport model is going to have a harsher suspension and might lose points compared to a cushier model from another company. The opposite happens when comparing sporty cars. You could have one model get the "less sporty" trim package and compare to another model.

Also, some magazines factor in intangible rankings that can affect the outcome. For example Car and Driver has been criticized in the past for heavily favoring BMW and Honda cars in comparisons. They will rank a car on powertrain, comfort, and other measurable things, then they have a "Gotta have it" factor at the end.

While I understand that emotional impact on a car can factor into a buying decision for someone (lets say a new Chrysler sedan went head to head with a Honda Accord and assuming each vehicle was perfectly identical in every other way, the Honda might still win because more people want an Accord than a Chrysler). These intangibles often skew rankings and make one vehicle come out ahead of another in a ranking.

In the case of the new Sonata, I have both the most recent Motor Trend and Car and Driver mags at home, and in one of them, the Sonata ranked 3rd out of 7 cars. It lost to the Fusion and the Camry. It was knocked for its suspension and its cost. The review was still very positive, and it was given credit where it was due. Even in the cost category, they admitted that the Sonata fully loaded with Nav and Sunroof would have cost over $30k in a Camry.

As for whether it should have come behind those two vehicles...its all a matter of opinion, and seriously, would it impact anyone here's decision to buy the car? Most likely no.

The Fusion and Camry are both great cars (I dont care about Toyota's recent woes, the Camry is still a great car for MANY people). The fact that the Sonata can hang with two other great cars really goes to show how tough the mid size sedan market is nowadays. We are all lucky that there are so many great choices are there....and those of you who actually own an '11 Sonata are even luckier to have such an awesome car! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't know how Motor Trend compares a Camry with a Sonata SE. Apple and oranges. A GLS or Limited would have been a better choice. To down grade a sports sedan for it's "stiffer" ride is ridiculous.
I agree, MT is trying to soften the blow of Toyota's recent problems.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (Bill Ludwig @ Apr 19 2010, 10:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314569
I don't know how Motor Trend compares a Camry with a Sonata SE. Apple and oranges. A GLS or Limited would have been a better choice. To down grade a sports sedan for it's "stiffer" ride is ridiculous.
I agree, MT is trying to soften the blow of Toyota's recent problems.
Again, car magazines can only test the cars they are given.

When a car company has a new model, they designate several of them as press cars and they are loaned out to magazines for reviews. Many times a car magazine will request a specific model, but as in life, you dont always get what you want.

So, if Hyundai gave the magazine a fully loaded SE, thats what they use to compare to the other cars they were given.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts