Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm thinking about becoming a Hyundai owner. (My 2004 Honda Accord doesn't have A/C anymore, which is essential down here in Louisiana.)

Well anyway, I found this on my local dealership's website, a 2012 Sonata 2.0 Limited for $23,980. The listing can be found here:

allstarhyundaibatonrouge.com/Certified-2012-Hyundai-Sonata-Baton-Rouge-LA/vd/16054111

Some concerns:

This car is a 2012 and it has already been traded in. Why? Do you think there may be something wrong with it?

It has 27K miles on it already. Is that high for a 2012?

I see it has had option group 5 added to it. Can somebody tell me what this means?

Lastly, (sorry for the long post), what do you guys think I can wiggle it down to? Seems strange to pay almost $24K for a 2 year old car whenever the brand new 2014 SE's retail for ~$25.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Hey guys, I'm thinking about becoming a Hyundai owner. (My 2004 Honda Accord doesn't have A/C anymore, which is essential down here in Louisiana.)

Well anyway, I found this on my local dealership's website, a 2012 Sonata 2.0 Limited for $23,980. The listing can be found here:

allstarhyundaibatonrouge.com/Certified-2012-Hyundai-Sonata-Baton-Rouge-LA/vd/16054111

Some concerns:

This car is a 2012 and it has already been traded in. Why? Do you think there may be something wrong with it?

It has 27K miles on it already. Is that high for a 2012?

I see it has had option group 5 added to it. Can somebody tell me what this means?

Lastly, (sorry for the long post), what do you guys think I can wiggle it down to? Seems strange to pay almost $24K for a 2 year old car whenever the brand new 2014 SE's retail for ~$25.
You can probably get a brand new 2013 for less than that now that the 14s are in stock.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Way too high. If you are serious about wanting this car, you might consider writing an amount on a piece of paper, say $19,799., and hand it over to the salesman saying something like this; "This is my one and only offer. If you can get me out the door for that amount, then we have a deal. If you can't, I'll walk away with no hard feelings" (strictly business demeanor, no emotion showing).
Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
The price is high but not out of line. The mileage is average but should be basis for negotiating it down

Group 5 is nav and sunroof. I would guess this car has a pano roof if its a limited. So that kind of neutralizes the price.

That beijg said new turbo limited models are going for 23k. With no miles.

Your call, OP but I would go new or wait for a 2014.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a NEW 2013 Limited Sonata for $22,000.

Its not worth buying a used Sonata with low mileage when 2013s can be had for a good price with incentives and also while the dealer is looking to make space for 2014s.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I agree with all above. I feel the price is a bit high for a used car with that much miles and being a 2012. Your better off waiting just a bit to get a new 2013 when all dealers start there year end sale events to rid the "old model year"

·
Registered
554 Posts
Dealers make at least $5,000 on a trade-in. Remember that that 2012 is now 2 model years old. Offer under $20,000, otherwise look for a new one. I picked up a new 2013 Sonata GLS (sunroof, fogs, alloys, heated front rear seats, leather wheel and gear shift) which has higher options that the US GLS for $5,000 off list and that was just an ongoing regular deal with a motivated sales person kicking in more discounts.

Model end/year end clear outs - you should be able to get at least $5,000 off list with dealers that are motivated to sell and don't play games.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Everyone knows we are talking about a 2.0T right? And the fact that it's the limited with supposedly every option added? If you wanted that in a 2013 or 2014 brand knew you would be pushing $32k.

Yes I still think the price is still a little high, and yes you can talk that down, but if you are looking for all of the options then, no you cant get a new 2.0T sonata for anywhere near that price.

That said, you just need to figure out what is best for you. You can soon get a new 2014 GLS for under the asking price of that used one, but you also don't get anything on it. But yes, there should be some good deals going on very soon for the 2013 models needing to get off the lots.

One last thing, I'm thinking the reason the mileage is so high is because that may have been a leased car and they traveled a lot for work or something. But ask for the carfax and check everything out to make sure nothing is wrong with it. But I think everything is completely new.

·
Registered
52 Posts
when I was looking a few months ago to get rid of my jeep, I came across couple 2012 limited demo cars...

one had 9k miles and it was never registered so i would be the "first" original owner.. they were ASKING $19,900 with a 10 year 100k warranty. all the bells and whistles.

the second being 12k miles, and it had some crazy decals that were on it but were removed so you can still see them in the sun fade. they were asking 18,500 for that one, same thing.. never titled.

i would have hopped on them both but i didnt have money for a down payment, and i wasnt that serious at the time.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Everyone knows we are talking about a 2.0T right? And the fact that it's the limited with supposedly every option added? If you wanted that in a 2013 or 2014 brand knew you would be pushing $32k.

Yes I still think the price is still a little high, and yes you can talk that down, but if you are looking for all of the options then, no you cant get a new 2.0T sonata for anywhere near that price.

That said, you just need to figure out what is best for you. You can soon get a new 2014 GLS for under the asking price of that used one, but you also don't get anything on it. But yes, there should be some good deals going on very soon for the 2013 models needing to get off the lots.

One last thing, I'm thinking the reason the mileage is so high is because that may have been a leased car and they traveled a lot for work or something. But ask for the carfax and check everything out to make sure nothing is wrong with it. But I think everything is completely new.
Nobody is paying 32k for a 2013 with the 14s now in stock.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Way too high. If you are serious about wanting this car, you might consider writing an amount on a piece of paper, say $19,799., and hand it over to the salesman saying something like this; "This is my one and only offer. If you can get me out the door for that amount, then we have a deal. If you can't, I'll walk away with no hard feelings" (strictly business demeanor, no emotion showing).
Best of luck to you.
I've done that a couple of times: On a new Honda Accord EXL I asked the dealer to write down his absolute lowest price-- and I wrote down the maximum I'd give for it. I let him know that I was there to buy a car and that if his figure was right, I do the deal "right now". He was about $200 under my figure. I said "Looks like I bought a new car." and I did.

On an Acura TL I had the dealer inspect my trade (Lexus ES). I looked over the lot found the TL I wanted. I went in the office and handed the guy a check. They wanted to "negotiate" a bit more, I just told them they could give me back the check or the keys to the new TL-- which ever they wanted. I drove 300 miles home in a new TL.

I think it is very important to let dealers know that you are serious and 'ready to buy'-- none of this: I need to check with the spouse - or I have to talk to my bank-- stuff. Have the money or credit available and let them know you WANT to deal-- believe me they WANT to deal too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts