Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed into negotiations with my local Hyundai dealer (Ontario, Canada) this weekend. I need your expertise fellow forum members!
Here’s the shake down:

Dealers has 2013 Santa Fe xl Limited DEMO available (dealers wife is driving it) that is exactly what we are looking for.

Vehicle currently has 8000 kms on it.

I enquired what the price is and Dealer said:
“Asking price is actually the MSRP with a discount of $0.10 per kilometer on the vehicle, so you would be looking at $800 off the price, bringing it to $42,099+DDC, Fees+Taxes. Now, as it is a DEMO, it needs a home and no reasonable offer will be refused.”

I’ve done my homework and know the Dealer Invoice on this vehicle is $40,210 Cdn brand new.

What do you folks think a fair price is for a 2013 Santa Fe xl Limited DEMO with 8000 kms? I've never purchased a Demo, so this is new territory for me.

Let me know ASAP!
Tks folks.
Fergie in Canada

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Not even close to reasonable!!! I paid less than that for my Limited with saddle when I ordered it brand new in April!

Call it what you want....it is a USED car. My 5 month old XL has less kms (7,000). I would certainly consider mine used.

Another thing. Sometimes we think a female driven vehicle has greater value than male driven. Very, very wrong. You can't make assumptions on gender...it all depends on the person. If I look at how my mother or sister-in-law drive, I would argue the opposite. I would NEVER by a used vehicle from them. They drive their vehicles hard....accelerate unnecessarily fast, brake hard, have the car in gear before any oil has left the pan etc.

The other thing to consider, is whether this was one of the first batches of XLs delivered. If so, they had a couple of features missing that were subsequently available...one being cooled seats if I recall correctly.

You really have to shoot for a better deal and stick to your guns, but ultimately, I don't know your tolerance nor how desperate you are for this vehicle. This is a used car, and the 2014's are only months away. If I were in your shoes, I would likely walk out the door if the price breached $45,500 out the door (all taxes, fees, freight...done). But that's me. I always negotiate out the door price to avoid any potential hidden fees or charges and let the dealers figure out how they get there on the invoice.

That said, it comes down to how desperate they are to sell, availability and demand in your area etc. If demand is high, avail low, you may want to think about coming to larger urban centres like Ottawa or Toronto where high volume dealers exist and are willing to sell at some really good prices...mine being case in point. (not suggesting Petawawa is not a large urban centre, just meant to point out that Ottawa has 2 of the highest volume Hyundai dealers in the country...that from Hyundai Canada back in April).

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Wow... that's a ridiculous price. Like Luck said, it's a used vehicle at this point. You have to treat the deal as such. If you go to NADA or KBB, etc, they give a much lower value for a loaded XL with Tech. I bought mine new for less than what they want used.

This sounds typical of a demo sale. They can (and will) come down if you bring some ammunition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Luck and Rouge - tks for the rapid reply! Really appreciated.
I've debated going to Ottawa to Bank St Dilawari, as I noted they are #1 in volume.
This demo does have the cooled seats, so I suspect its not the early batch of xl's.
If I were to negotiate an OTD price, when do I talk about my trade-in?
We have a 2006 Pontiac Montana SV6 Sport. I fully expect to get little for it (206k on it) and I know I'll get the "we'll give you $1500 for it, but show $5000 to save you on the tax of the new one".

I intend to be hard nosed on the fact the DEMO is used and the 2014 will be on the lot in Jan.
Maybe I can hit him hard for some free accessories (running boards, hitch, etc.) as well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I wouldn't pay more a cent more than $38,000-38,500. You should be paying 4-5k off msrp. That being said they'll likely say no way. Leave your phone number and walk out. They'll call to negotiate. If not 2014 is right around the corner.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Luck and Rouge - tks for the rapid reply! Really appreciated.
I've debated going to Ottawa to Bank St Dilawari, as I noted they are #1 in volume.
This demo does have the cooled seats, so I suspect its not the early batch of xl's.
If I were to negotiate an OTD price, when do I talk about my trade-in?
We have a 2006 Pontiac Montana SV6 Sport. I fully expect to get little for it (206k on it) and I know I'll get the "we'll give you $1500 for it, but show $5000 to save you on the tax of the new one".

I intend to be hard nosed on the fact the DEMO is used and the 2014 will be on the lot in Jan.
Maybe I can hit him hard for some free accessories (running boards, hitch, etc.) as well.
I have negotiated my last 4 new cars over the phone and email because I detest the BS game played in dealers of waiting to go back and forth. I call and say, "this is what I will pay OTD. Let me know if you can do it, and if not, I will go elsewhere." AND, if they can't, I stick to my guns and move on. This also gives me the freedom to consider options, counters etc in the comfort of my own space with no pressure from the dealer.

With a trade, it makes doing that more difficult, but it is not impossible. You will to go in and tell them that you're curious what value they would give you for yours as a trade against an XL. Thank them and say you will think about your options. This way, they have seen it and know what they feel it is worth.

Then, if you don't want to do the in dealer dance, call later that day or the next, and give them your OTD price including your trade. Tell them that if they agree, to send the papers for signature and you will drop off a deposit later that day. Again, by getting the papers in advance, you can verify everything and ensure the OTD is what was negotiated. In the dealer, there is always the pressure of trying to review the numbers at the dealer. If you don't mind doing in dealer negotiation, then it go for it.

Of course, whatever OTD price you figure you want to pay before trade, you subtract the value you want for your trade + tax on that value.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have negotiated my last 4 new cars over the phone and email because I detest the BS game played in dealers of waiting to go back and forth. I call and say, "this is what I will pay OTD. Let me know if you can do it, and if not, I will go elsewhere." AND, if they can't, I stick to my guns and move on. This also gives me the freedom to consider options, counters etc in the comfort of my own space with no pressure from the dealer.

With a trade, it makes doing that more difficult, but it is not impossible. You will to go in and tell them that you're curious what value they would give you for yours as a trade against an XL. Thank them and say you will think about your options. This way, they have seen it and know what they feel it is worth.

Then, if you don't want to do the in dealer dance, call later that day or the next, and give them your OTD price including your trade. Tell them that if they agree, to send the papers for signature and you will drop off a deposit later that day. Again, by getting the papers in advance, you can verify everything and ensure the OTD is what was negotiated. In the dealer, there is always the pressure of trying to review the numbers at the dealer. If you don't mind doing in dealer negotiation, then it go for it.

Of course, whatever OTD price you figure you want to pay before trade, you subtract the value you want for your trade + tax on that value.
Thank Luck. Appreciate the coaching. I went at the dealer with an email offer of $41k out-the-door for the 2013 Sant Fe Limited Demo with 8k kms on it.

I'll keep you all posted on the counter!
Fergie

·
Registered
230 Posts
That's alright. I usually negotiate the price of the car with no trade and then tell them I have a trade. That's the only true way to see what you are getting for your trade. Your van likely won't get much though.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Thank Luck. Appreciate the coaching. I went at the dealer with an email offer of $41k out-the-door for the 2013 Sant Fe Limited Demo with 8k kms on it.

I'll keep you all posted on the counter!
Fergie
Hope it works out for you.

If not, consider Ottawa, but I would put some caution around Bank St. Have a bit of a rep for playing games. I could have gone with them and saved a few hundred, but ended up going with Kanata because they too are very high volume, could get me the XL I wanted quickly, and have a good rep. for no pressure approach. Deal was done in a few hours, mostly by email. In fact, the sales manager put in the sales order and confirmed that I got the XL I wanted even before I dropped of the deposit cheque and formerly signed all the papers a few nights later. That said, my father bought his '11 SF there, so I wasn't someone who just called out of the blue. Of course, who has what in stock might play into the equation as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dealer countered with $47k out the door. I said: "really?...you think a dealer demo that'ss a model year old already and has over 8000 kms on it is worth $47000?....$42500 out the door is my offer"
Will keep you updated. My wife and I will head to Kanata in the morning and get a bidding war going perhaps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
r u kidding

no way Jose you can get it for way less I went of the otd price of 42k and change to 36k OUT THE DOOR for limited with technology package plus 4 accessories

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no way Jose you can get it for way less I went of the otd price of 42k and change to 36k OUT THE DOOR for limited with technology package plus 4 accessories

Jonny...I wish we could get the same deals as u folks south of the border. We get bent over the barrel up here.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Dealer countered with $47k out the door. I said: "really?...you think a dealer demo that'ss a model year old already and has over 8000 kms on it is worth $47000?....$42500 out the door is my offer"
Will keep you updated. My wife and I will head to Kanata in the morning and get a bidding war going perhaps.
Hope it goes through, but if not, walk away. They have your number.

Did you check inventory in Ottawa before making the trip?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Appreciate the coaching.
This is a method that was posted in another message board community that I frequent. This info was given by an ex-sales manager at a large dealership here. It's become my commandments for car buying:

1. Arm yourself with information. Research the vehicle of your choice (Invoice vs. MSRP, manufacturer rebates, dealer holdback, etc.)
2. Never show emotion even when going for a test drive (do NOT provide dealer with your driver’s license). Instead, prior to your arrival at the dealership, make a copy of your driver’s license and furnish the dealer with the copy of your driver’s license.
3. Never show emotion when negotiating.
4. Never offer or accept the first price.
5. Start off negotiations by saying “that’s not good enough.”
6. Never offer a counter price.
7. Silence is golden. When in doubt, shut up and you will pay less.
8. Know what power you possess by being able to “walk away.”
9. Never negotiate off “MSRP.” The negotiation process should start from the DEALER COST (which is less than INVOICE) price or the WHOLESALE price if purchasing a USED vehicle.
10. Rebates can be deducted from INVOICE price and not MSRP as the dealership will lead you to believe.
11. Know the dealer’s “hold-back” price and what type of incentives that may be offered from the manufacturer or dealership.
12. Don’t discuss a trade-in until you’ve settled on a price for the car you’re buying – each transaction should be separate and not dependent upon one another.
13. Settle on the price of the vehicle you’re interested in before you bring up financing — don’t let the rate of a loan influence the price of the car.
14. Have your financing pre-approved before you walk into a dealership.
15. Extended warranties never make financial sense.
16. Be aware of “extra” charges such as administrative fees, handling charges, advertising fees, paint protection, VIN etching – simply do not pay these as these are deal breakers. And believe it or not, even “delivery” charges are negotiable.
17. Get the deal in writing. Full disclosure, in writing, of all fees pertaining to your vehicle purchase, such as destination, title, documentation, licensing and registration. If the dealer will not put it in writing, “walk away.”
18. The “If I” sales tactic. This is the last step in the sales negotiation process. Ex. If I decide to purchase the vehicle today, you have to include free window tinting. If I decide to take the red vehicle instead of the white vehicle, you have to include 5 free oil and tire rotation services. If I decide to purchase the vehicle today, you have to include floor mats at no additional cost. If done correctly, this will allow you to get another “service and/or product” that you normally would not have received and by this time, there is no way will the dealership allow you to “walk” because there is too much time invested between both parties. The dealership knows you are in a buying mode and doesn’t want to run the risk of you becoming a “be back” customer for another dealership since most people buy within 48 hours of stepping onto a dealership’s lot.
19. Put deposits on a “credit card” only. Do NOT pay with a check.
20. If you got a great deal, show your appreciation. Thank the dealer and be sure to send your friends to them when they go car shopping.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hope it works out for you.

If not, consider Ottawa, but I would put some caution around Bank St. Have a bit of a rep for playing games. I could have gone with them and saved a few hundred, but ended up going with Kanata because they too are very high volume, could get me the XL I wanted quickly, and have a good rep. for no pressure approach. Deal was done in a few hours, mostly by email. In fact, the sales manager put in the sales order and confirmed that I got the XL I wanted even before I dropped of the deposit cheque and formerly signed all the papers a few nights later. That said, my father bought his '11 SF there, so I wasn't someone who just called out of the blue. Of course, who has what in stock might play into the equation as well.
We ended up at Kanata as well for our purchase. Mind you it took us 4 months, 2 other dealers and a canceled order along the way to get to that point.

We purchased our 2010 SF from Bank so we went there first, loyalty... We did not like the vibe this time around. It felt like we were being sold a vacuum in our living room by a sweaty high pressure salesman back in the 80's...

Over the period of about 1 month we broke down another dealer to the price we wanted and ordered the car. When it came in the dealer reneged on a clause we put in the purchase order, thus pissing us off. We canceled the order. We ended up using that sales invoice to shop the other dealers. We ended up in Kanata partly because of the positive experience talking with them but more so because they had stock and the package we wanted..

Research, patience and then you have to stick to your guns.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts