Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is kind of a weird question, I know. The scenario is that I want to go surfing. I dont want to take the smartkey in the ocean with me because its almost certainly going to get wet.
I figured out how to use the mechanical key to lock and unlock the vehicle - but locking only works if I hide the fob outside which is not heplful.

the plan is to keep the mechanical key on me, since that can get wet then use it to re-open the car....

Any ideas?

update, thought I would share some options I learned
1. remove battery from the backup fob and use that for surf days. you can start the car by pressing back of the fob against the start button; and still lock the fob inside using the mechanical key. I verified this works on my 2019 Santa Fe. Be warned this does not activate the alarm/immobilizer.
2. get a faraday bag (aka rfid blocking) which will block the proximity sensors. Follow same process as above with the mechanical. I did not verify this. Some posters say that tin foil will work too. sane warning about alarm/immobilizer applies
3. get a portable lock box, and lock the fob in that. you can secure the lock box to the door handle or some other part of the car.
4. get a waterproof bag you trust and carry it with you.

My plan is to go with the lock box - there are some likely looking attachment points under the rear fender on the chassis,
Reasons for this plan:
with 1 and 2, the alarm / immobilzer is a deal breaker on its own. I also don't like the long term damage likely to continually popping the trim off the door handle to get to the mechanical lock.(wear & tear on the clips and almost certain eventual loss of the trim piece)
with 4, you not only need to trust that bag the first time, you need to trust it every time - salt, sun and sand are inevitably going to damage those seals and you are betting that you will remember to replace it before it fails. I prefer the odds in Vegas :)

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Limited 2.4L AWD Lava Orange
66 Posts
This is kind of a weird question, I know. The scenario is that I want to go surfing. I dont want to take the smartkey in the ocean with me because its almost certainly going to get wet.
I figured out how to use the mechanical key to lock and unlock the vehicle - but locking only works if I hide the fob outside which is not heplful.

the plan is to keep the mechanical key on me, since that can get wet then use it to re-open the car....

Any ideas?
Try one of these:

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
1,470 Posts

Any ideas?
put the electronic fob inside the gas cover, and then lock the door with the mechanical key.

another option might be putting the fob underneath the cargo floor. that might interfere with the signal enough so that the car doesn't think the fob is inside the cabin; then you can again lock the door with the mechanical key.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.4
40 Posts

Any ideas?

update, thought I would share some options I learned
1. remove battery from the backup fob and use that for surf days. you can start the car by pressing back of the fob against the start button; and still lock the fob inside using the mechanical key. I verified this works on my 2019 Santa Fe. Be warned this does not activate the alarm/immobilizer.
2. get a faraday bag (aka rfid blocking) which will block the proximity sensors. Follow same process as above with the mechanical. I did not verify this. Some posters say that tin foil will work too. sane warning about alarm/immobilizer applies
3. get a portable lock box, and lock the fob in that. you can secure the lock box to the door handle or some other part of the car.
4. get a waterproof bag you trust and carry it with you.

My plan is to go with the lock box - there are some likely looking attachment points under the rear fender on the chassis,
Reasons for this plan:
with 1 and 2, the alarm / immobilzer is a deal breaker on its own. I also don't like the long term damage likely to continually popping the trim off the door handle to get to the mechanical lock.(wear & tear on the clips and almost certain eventual loss of the trim piece)
with 4, you not only need to trust that bag the first time, you need to trust it every time - salt, sun and sand are inevitably going to damage those seals and you are betting that you will remember to replace it before it fails. I prefer the odds in Vegas :)
If you're going with the lockbox,I would test it to make sure it blocks the proximity sensors - otherwise, someone could gain access to the vehicle by pressing the u lock button on the door handle

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL 2.4l FWD
233 Posts
Yes there is a method. Remove your mechanical key from the key fob. Place the fob in the car and then use the mechanical key to lock the door. The door can then only be opened by the mechanical key. as mentioned the fob must be wrapped in tinfoil or something to isolate it from communication with the vehicle

It is a bit of a hassle because you have to cover and uncover the mechanical lock cover on the drivers door handle.

If this was important for me to be able to do this I might permanently remove the mechanical lock cover on the drivers door handle and store it in the glove box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.