Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
The sunroof on my old Acura Legend developed a leak. The sunroof was not actually sealed but had a trough that would allow the water to drain down any of four drain holes.

I could access the two front ones from the top and I got a piece of music wire (very stiff wire) from the hobby shop and used it to clear out the two front drain tubes. But the rear drain tubes were not accessible from above. I resolved that issue by always parking on a level spot or with the front of the car at the low end.

I guess you could put the car on a lift and use the wire to clear the rear drain lines. I would not know where to look though.

After I ran the wire through the drain hole a few times I poured a cup of water in the trough to make sure it would drain. If it does not then you need to snake that wire in again or perhaps get a longer piece of wire.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
Sunroofs are never sealed to keep out the water but it is allowed to drain from the 4 corners of the channel. You can use a piece of wire and push it down the tube or I have used compressed air before.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ok , so you didn't need to pull the headliner out for the front two? So there is four around the sunroof?
On my Acura the front drain holes were easily accessible from above. But the rear ones were not and I think that will be the case with any sliding sunroof.

You may be able to snake the rears out from below if you can find the outlet points. You would have to put the car on a lift for that. Compressed air will help also.

But even if you can't access the rear holes parking on a level surface or with the front of the car pointing down hill and you won't have a leak as the water will drain from the front drain holes. It is not ideal, but it was easy and cost-effective.

When I bought the car the roof was "sealed" with tape. I removed the tape when I got it home and it never leaked again after I cleared the drain holes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sunroofs are never sealed to keep out the water but it is allowed to drain from the 4 corners of the channel. You can use a piece of wire and push it down the tube or I have used compressed air before.

The sliding sunroofs are not sealed.

The pop up ones (usually an after market item, but it was factory on my old Chrysler) depend on a compression seal.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
On my Acura the front drain holes were easily accessible from above. But the rear ones were not and I think that will be the case with any sliding sunroof.

You may be able to snake the rears out from below if you can find the outlet points. You would have to put the car on a lift for that. Compressed air will help also.

But even if you can't access the rear holes parking on a level surface or with the front of the car pointing down hill and you won't have a leak as the water will drain from the front drain holes. It is not ideal, but it was easy and cost-effective.

When I bought the car the roof was "sealed" with tape. I removed the tape when I got it home and it never leaked again after I cleared the drain holes.
I had a Taurus that had the sun roof sealed with clear packaging tape. It lasted about a year and a half. Then when driving down the interstate it let loose and make such a loud, low pitch flapping noise it scare the crap out of me. LOL at it now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok.I. guess I will just have to look and see what I got. I get back home tomorrow see what it's gonna be like. Thank you all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts