Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I use an Android phone (Galaxy Nexus) and have bought a special 'charge only' USB cable, that has the two middle data pins 'shorted' so that it actually enforces 'fast' charging at a rate of 900mA or more: namely, this cable.

Now, I happen to know that with this cable I must be very careful. It FORCES 900 (or more) mA of power to be sucked out of whatever port I put it in, and if it's a port that can't handle this much amperage, the port will over time be damaged if you keep overloading and straining it beyond its designed amperage load.

USB 3.0 happens to allow more than 900mA by design, but 90% of USB 2.0 ports on laptops or computers only allow 500mA maximum. (Luckily I have a new Apple retina MacBook pro model, which has USB 3.0 so that one's fine. And wall chargers are obviously generally fine as well. But I couldn't use this cable on my previous laptop, but instead only a 'data' cable for much slower USB charging instead.)

There's a really neat USB port in the ix35 which is perfectly located for charging the phone on the go, but the user manual (unsurprisingly) doesn't give any details as to the rated maximum mA for the port. Naturally, I don't want to ruin the port so I wonder, do any of you know, or know how I could find out?

PS if it is needed for determining properly, my ix35 is in Australia, model 'EL IX35 WG SPECIAL EDITION 2.0D AUT'. I'm not very good with cars (just technology in general) - I assume it's '2013 model' or '2012'? It's brand spanking new, newest model/revision, whatever year that translates to anyway :).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would er on the side of caution and bet that the on-board USB port adheres to the USB 2.0 standards.
Oh I wouldn't be surprised if it's USB 2.0, but so are all standard USB charger ports from the last 10 years and they can all handle 900mA+ too. The port just has to be built for it, and to specifically NOT handle data transfer. (which is a good indication of it being able to do high ampage charging on the port - although not necessarily, there's rubbish dedicated USB chargers out there which actually don't do fast charging - at least not guaranteed for all devices and cables you connect it up with. It's a mess.)

OR, it can just be built in the circuitry or whatever to happen to handle fast charging as WELL as data.

See, note: most computer and laptop ports are 500mA data 'slow charging' ports only. But SOME laptops and desktop motherboards have one, or two ports that actually are capable of 900mA+ fast charging. It's the 'charging port' on the pc (but by no means do all PCs and laptops have such a port.)

Obviously the ix35 port can do data, but it really COULD also handle high amp charging, for all I know.

So it really could handle it, I just need to find out.

I've never had experience or knowledge about how to get such advanced detailed technical information about a technological component of a car from the car company. Is there some Hyundai Australia/USA email support address or online support service that may be able to get the exact answer for me?(And obviously, I'll post it here for the benefit of the Internet etc.!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news! It's 2.1 Amps! A Hyundai Australia technical support phone operator got back to me about it. Glad to put it out there on the internet for others to find out!

This is great cos there actually are other devices or USB chargers out there, which do use up to 2.1 Amps (it might be a multi-phone dedicated charger e.g., with two usb jacks coming out of it); it must be for this reason that it's this specific amount in a lot of modern cars these days.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts