Hyundai Forums banner

Is the exhaust system aluminized on these cars?

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  DarkJedi 
#1 ·
I'm at work so I can't run out to look and honestly don't remember. Is the exhaust system on these cars aluminized or stainless?

#7 ·
If you're looking for some indication on how long the exhaust system may last, I'll offer up some hints. Firstly, as they say, your mileage may vary. Drive more highway miles each day and your system will laaaaassst! I drove my 2001 Elantra over 200k miles with the original exhaust system and NEVER had a problem. But, there were lots of highway miles in that 200k. If, on the other hand, you drive more city or stop and go miles, then you'll probably experience a shorter lifespan.

#21 ·
100% accurate. Worked with a guy that lived about 1/2 from the plant front door. Started the truck, drove it 1/2 to work, 1/2 mile home. Condensation build-up inside the muffler. The exhaust system never got hot enough to burn off the inside of the system. Consequently, he was going thru mufflers every 18 months.

#9 ·
There is no way any manufacturer puts stainless steel exhaust system on their car that is worth less than 40k.
Look on aftermarket how much a true stainless steel exhaust costs. A lot.

Most of the time the pipes and mufflers are galvanized (aluminum plated). This creates nice silver like shine and prevents from rust.
However, the rust will begin in the weakest post, which always is the joint.
Hence, when the muffler still looks good, the joint is giving up... Therefore, whether it is "aluminzed" or not - does not matter.

#10 ·
There is no way any manufacturer puts stainless steel exhaust system on their car that is worth less than 40k.
Look on aftermarket how much a true stainless steel exhaust costs. A lot.

Most of the time the pipes and mufflers are galvanized (aluminum plated). This creates nice silver like shine and prevents from rust.
However, the rust will begin in the weakest post, which always is the joint.
Hence, when the muffler still looks good, the joint is giving up... Therefore, whether it is "aluminzed" or not - does not matter.
Great point and yes I've looked, they are quite pricey for full stainless systems. Thanks for the insight and wisdom :).

#17 ·
Modern exhaust systems are made with stainless anodized powder-coated unobtanium.

Okay, seriously.... modern exhaust systems stand a good chance of lasting the life of the car. Not like 20 years ago when you had to replace them every 3 years.

#20 ·
The flex section on Hyundai tends to be the only part that needs replacing.

2001 élantra with 325k kilometres over 200k miles still passed government emissions test with original catalytic converters. Their systems are much better than average IMO.

The tarnish on the 409 is like the patina on copper; the metal doesn't lose structural integrity.

#22 ·
Back in the 60's and 70's the exhaust pipes needed to be religiously replaced every 18-24 months. Things got a lot better in a hurry, By the end of the 80's pipes lasted the life of the car. 10 years+ and 100,000miles+ was easily accomplished. Since then I have never replaced any exhaust. I think the last car I had that needed exhaust pipes was a '84 LeBaron.

409 SS has 1/2 the thermal expansion rate of 304SS which makes it ideal for high temp operation. It is THE most popular grade of stainless steel for exhuast systems and furnace operations. 304 is nice for pretty things that don't have to work too hard. Sort of the difference between Mary Ann and Ginger. (some of you may not get that last reference)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.