Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at work so I can't run out to look and honestly don't remember. Is the exhaust system on these cars aluminized or stainless?

·
22,788 Posts
I "think" stainless...meanwhile, looking for answer if I get time...

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you're looking for some indication on how long the exhaust system may last, I'll offer up some hints. Firstly, as they say, your mileage may vary. Drive more highway miles each day and your system will laaaaassst! I drove my 2001 Elantra over 200k miles with the original exhaust system and NEVER had a problem. But, there were lots of highway miles in that 200k. If, on the other hand, you drive more city or stop and go miles, then you'll probably experience a shorter lifespan.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really. Interesting, doesnt look polished.
Yeah..... it looks more like galvanized metal to me. I'll know for sure when I get home. I'm crawling under there anyway to detail tonight ;).

If you're looking for some indication on how long the exhaust system may last, I'll offer up some hints. Firstly, as they say, your mileage may vary. Drive more highway miles each day and your system will laaaaassst! I drove my 2001 Elantra over 200k miles with the original exhaust system and NEVER had a problem. But, there were lots of highway miles in that 200k. If, on the other hand, you drive more city or stop and go miles, then you'll probably experience a shorter lifespan.
Oh no, that's not the reason I'm asking. I'd rather keep it quiet for now until I complete what I have planned B). Mileage doesn't matter since only on nice days does she come out from under the car cover and out of the garage for a day in the sun. She's got just over 3,000 miles and I've had her for 10 months!! :eek:

·
Banned
998 Posts
There is no way any manufacturer puts stainless steel exhaust system on their car that is worth less than 40k.
Look on aftermarket how much a true stainless steel exhaust costs. A lot.

Most of the time the pipes and mufflers are galvanized (aluminum plated). This creates nice silver like shine and prevents from rust.
However, the rust will begin in the weakest post, which always is the joint.
Hence, when the muffler still looks good, the joint is giving up... Therefore, whether it is "aluminzed" or not - does not matter.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no way any manufacturer puts stainless steel exhaust system on their car that is worth less than 40k.

Most of the time the pipes and mufflers are galvanized (aluminum plated). This creates nice silver like shine and prevents from rust.
Hence, when the muffler still looks good, the joint is giving up... Therefore, whether it is "aluminzed" or not - does not matter.
Great point and yes I've looked, they are quite pricey for full stainless systems. Thanks for the insight and wisdom :).

·
Registered
3,151 Posts

very correct. if its stainless, it would be the cheapest crap stainless there is. not all stainless is created the same.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Both my cars cost under $20,000.00 both have stainless exhaust systems.
Unless both Companies lied.
I dont see any rust on either car just saying.
Hyundai owns there own steel plants that make stainless and super high strength steel.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The exhaust system is 409 Stainless Steel.

·
Registered
870 Posts
so how do you explain corrosion?

I am not sure what grade 409 is, but by general rule Stainless Steel should be corrosion resistant.
409 SS has enough chromium and nickel to resist corrosion, but yet it will display some surface rust on the exterior of the pipe. 10yrs from now, that exhaust pipe will still look the same!!

All car manufactures use this type of SS for their basic OEM exhaust systems. 304 SS is the highest quality stainless steel used in the automotive world. It is most often found in exhaust tips and some exhaust systems like Borla. Super tough and nearly impervious to rusting, 304 has around 20% chromium and 10% nickel content in the alloy. Which never rusts and can be polished to a mirror finish.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Modern exhaust systems are made with stainless anodized powder-coated unobtanium.

Okay, seriously.... modern exhaust systems stand a good chance of lasting the life of the car. Not like 20 years ago when you had to replace them every 3 years.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Okay, seriously.... modern exhaust systems stand a good chance of lasting the life of the car
I would disagree.
The pipes may last, sure. But the lining/walls in the muffler might not. Even if there are no leaks the exhaust becomes loud.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
The flex section on Hyundai tends to be the only part that needs replacing.

2001 élantra with 325k kilometres over 200k miles still passed government emissions test with original catalytic converters. Their systems are much better than average IMO.

The tarnish on the 409 is like the patina on copper; the metal doesn't lose structural integrity.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts