Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Two weeks ago I had my oil changed by mechanic. Drove over 700 miles a week later with no problem. I have had an appointment set up for the 953 campaign for two weeks. Last week I had an engine noise on my way to work one day that sounding like chirping and I honestly thought a bird might have been in the engine. It stopped and hasn't reoccurred. This weekend my A/C stops working with no prior sounds or warning- would appear to be the compressor. Tonight reversing into my driveway the engine starts making an uneven metallic sound (sorry not sure what engine knocking is supposed to sound like) on same side of engine as compressor and oil pan etc. Is this what this campaign is supposed to detect and I already have the problem symptoms appearing? Car just hit 5yr mark with 63K. No problems until now and I always use full synthetic. I am thinking about calling the dealer in the morning and seeing if I can drive the car right in. Thoughts?

Drive it in there clanging and banging, should make diagnosis easy.. lol

But seriously, only drive it if you feel confident you will not be in or cause an accident and can be safe. If you do NOT feel safe driving it, then have it towed in. If you had AC issues first, and are still having AC issues, it could just be compressor issues and not full engine failure. If a bearing or part in the compressor went bad the constant turning of the pulley could cause engine vibration as well and may not be engine bearing. The chirping could be the belt slipping on the pulley and lends more to an AC compressor type issue than engine failure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
well apparently last month when I did the recall for the pre-tensors, the dealer (Lynnes Hyundai) did the software update without my consent or knowledge, so I didn't know if I was gonna do it... to late, they decided for me...
I know its good to prevent that something bad happens to the engine, but should not be us, the owners of the cars have the last word?
should I say thank you?????

·
Registered
2 Posts
Drive it in there clanging and banging, should make diagnosis easy.. lol

But seriously, only drive it if you feel confident you will not be in or cause an accident and can be safe. If you do NOT feel safe driving it, then have it towed in. If you had AC issues first, and are still having AC issues, it could just be compressor issues and not full engine failure. If a bearing or part in the compressor went bad the constant turning of the pulley could cause engine vibration as well and may not be engine bearing. The chirping could be the belt slipping on the pulley and lends more to an AC compressor type issue than engine failure.
The next day after my original post, I drove to work. Backed into my parking spot the car started to make the same sounds again a bit louder and more frequent. Called the dealer and talked the my way to the head of the pack so I could bring in my car that night instead of waiting two weeks for my scheduled appointment. On my way to the dealer the car started making these sounds as I was slowing to a stop and stopping. This was a new development. If not the engine, CV joint? My logic said no when why would it continue to make sounds when I was stopped. Sounds weren't happening at a cold start and would subside after sitting for a few mins. Could this be an electrical issue??

Dealer tech couln't get car to replicate sound, but I really think they didn't try to before they installed the update and then did the test drive. Picked car up tonight so we will see over the next few days. Interesting thing is the right turn signal that hasn't worked in over a year and mechanic had eliminated everything except a bad body control module is now working. Popping sounds did not happen on drive home, but we will see. I will post again when it has been more time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My new to me 2014 Sonata Hybrid has only 5 months left on the factory warranty.. Does this 953 issue affect me?? Should I avoid the dealership for the next 6 months just to avoid getting the 953 upgrade?? Any other options available to me??

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
My new to me 2014 Sonata Hybrid has only 5 months left on the factory warranty.. Does this 953 issue affect me?? Should I avoid the dealership for the next 6 months just to avoid getting the 953 upgrade?? Any other options available to me??

953 not applicable to Hybrid,,, you dont have a GDI engine...

Carry on...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thankyou SBR!!!!!!!. Completely new to Hybrids and Hyundai in general. Very knowledgeable about VW TDIs but not that much is effectively transferable

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just got my update Friday. The dealership talked to me about the update and engine issues, and they told me flat-out if my engine was going to have problems, it'll happen no matter how well I take care of it. At least now I have something that'll warn me before it explodes, but I think unless they do a complete teardown there's no way of knowing if my engine will be problematic.

But they also assured me that Hyundai is replacing pretty much every engine with the problem and even approved one with 200K miles, and even ones that weren't maintained properly (lack of oil changes/sludge).

Makes me feel a lot better about the situation though my only gripe would be having to drop it off far away if the engine goes out when I travel, and having to drive the rental car allllll the way back once it gets fixed.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Having been a glutton for punishment by owning numerous TDIs and then diesel Jeep Liberty and diesel Grand Cherokee, I welcome you to the Hyundai ownership experience.

If your TDI's were like mine (had one throw a CEL during a test drive), then you probably knew your dealer service advisers quite well. Hopefully you will not have to develop such a relationship as part of your Hyundai ownership experience but if you do, you you have most likely been thru it already ;-)

Other than losing an engine at 59k miles, my Hyundai has been a very reliable car with nothing else going wrong with it-unlike my TDIs that were in the shop for stupid stuff every week from broken seat frames, heat seats that burned holes in the leather, radios that didn't work, etc..etc.. I'm only at 5,500 miles on my new Elantra and I love it-I'm getting 45mpg to/from work each day at 68 mph with cruise set!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Having been a glutton for punishment by owning numerous TDIs and then diesel Jeep Liberty and diesel Grand Cherokee, I welcome you to the Hyundai ownership experience.

If your TDI's were like mine (had one throw a CEL during a test drive), then you probably knew your dealer service advisers quite well. Hopefully you will not have to develop such a relationship as part of your Hyundai ownership experience but if you do, you you have most likely been thru it already ;-)

Other than losing an engine at 59k miles, my Hyundai has been a very reliable car with nothing else going wrong with it-unlike my TDIs that were in the shop for stupid stuff every week from broken seat frames, heat seats that burned holes in the leather, radios that didn't work, etc..etc.. I'm only at 5,500 miles on my new Elantra and I love it-I'm getting 45mpg to/from work each day at 68 mph with cruise set!
Wow - sorry to hear that! We've owned several VW TDIs and the only one that gave us any issues had nothing to do with the fact that it was diesel. A relative owned it before us and she couldn't drive stick to save her life - the clutch was shot. But otherwise, we've had excellent experience with TDIs!

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
But they also assured me that Hyundai is replacing pretty much every engine with the problem and even approved one with 200K miles, and even ones that weren't maintained properly (lack of oil changes/sludge).

Again a reminder that Hyundai currently has no choice but to replace the engine to comply with the NHTSA recall terms . That recall won't stay open forever and applies to MY 2011 - 2014 .

what happens down the road remains to be seen, I'm skeptical that Hyundai will be replacing failed engines after the 120k mileage warranty expires (if you get the 953 update) but I think some of the future rests on the outcome of the DOJ investigation into the matter which was opened over a year back.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Again a reminder that Hyundai currently has no choice but to replace the engine to comply with the NHTSA recall terms . That recall won't stay open forever and applies to MY 2011 - 2014 .

what happens down the road remains to be seen, I'm skeptical that Hyundai will be replacing failed engines after the 120k mileage warranty expires (if you get the 953 update) but I think some of the future rests on the outcome of the DOJ investigation into the matter which was opened over a year back.
I'm not sure why you'd be skeptical of that when I just told you they did some at almost 200K...

·
Registered
222 Posts

can you explain what you mean by this.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
All recalls expire eventually. Even class action lawsuits are not indefinite.

I too feel wronged since my Sonata is driven 7000 miles a year. I'll hit 70,000 miles at the 10 year point. The 10/120k warranty extension does nothing for me. Even 'goodwill' engine replacements after 10 years will be something worth watching/hoping for. I don't expect the engine replacement gravy train to last forever. Sadly, I do expect my engine to fail in year 9.9 or earlier. My woman agrees to restart with dealer maintenance later this year(bulk thin oil and OE installed dry filters). I expect that after 3-4 dealer services, it'll blow. Hopefully the brick on the gas pedal while idling a little fast in driveway isn't too obvious, or maybe just run it out of oil since dealer service allegedly leads to excessive oil consumption.

Reputation damage is done and there will never be another Kia/Hyundai product in this driveway. I feel safer driving my 'other brands', some that are 20 years older or others that have 100k more miles than my Sonata.

My new engine won't be treated to CARB/EBA/CAFE/enviro madness.

And, my 2.4GDI has been running great since this software update.

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts

It's o.k. to keep a little hope going...I was current with all of the recalls/software updates and I just had my engine replaced at 140K because of excessive oil consumption. Everyone might have a different experience, but I've had my Sonata since March of 2010, it's past the 120K mark, and there was no problem getting the PA for the exchange.

Also, let us not be too hard on a manufacturer's reputation based on issues...even the vaunted Toyota had an engine sludge issue back in the day. Didn't seem to keep people away from them for too long.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/01/toyota_sludge_settlement.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I started this thread a few months ago and started a new one today - Why? Because my "NEW" replacement engine just went into limp-mode today. Less than 2K miles since replacement. Either the software update is an over-hyped piece of garbage causing major false-alarm headaches for owners or Hyundai just happened to replace my defective engine with a defective engine (TBD).

·
Registered
249 Posts
It's o.k. to keep a little hope going...I was current with all of the recalls/software updates and I just had my engine replaced at 140K because of excessive oil consumption. Everyone might have a different experience, but I've had my Sonata since March of 2010, it's past the 120K mark, and there was no problem getting the PA for the exchange.

Also, let us not be too hard on a manufacturer's reputation based on issues...even the vaunted Toyota had an engine sludge issue back in the day. Didn't seem to keep people away from them for too long.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/01/toyota_sludge_settlement.html

We recently went looking around and got docked with one fact. All the manufacturers are making one form of garbage or another to varying degrees. In fact I wouldn’t touch all but a few with a 10’ pole.
I’ve always been a Honda Toyota guy the last 30 years. I go looking yo ditch the 13 Sonata only to find you can’t get away from the CVT. Tranny with a Honda. At least the once dying Standard is starting to become more available again. They’re still hard to find though. Look for an Accord and wha do you see but a wimpy 1.5 boosted by a turbo to make it work. DI and oil dilution problems too. St least you can get a standard but still.
The Civic SI. Nice car but again the same mill turbo as Accord. Then there’s the little secret, you have to use Hi test. We didn’t look at that underneath but the Son in law decided then to look at the Civic Sport. I didn’t even know it existed. We looked it over and found at least it had a non turbo 2.0 that had been around a while. Not blazing power but ok. Then we look under and see it has some sort of mat under the wheel wells and from what I could see covering the entire bottom of the car. Looks like roll roofing. I’ve yet to find anyone who can tell me definitively what it’s for. Looking at how it’s mounted I couldn’t think of a worse road salt / sand catcher. Strange stuff that I sure wouldn’t want until I saw it’s effects.
All the US brands are plagued either the CVT and or the DI oil dilution issue to one extent or another. And Toyota has had its share of bad engine issues . The new Corollas are mostly all CVT. We test drove a 15 corolla and it was the doggiest car is seen since the pre fuel injection one barrel days. It would be dangerous to own in a big city . The 18 Camray I Have went to an 8 speed from 6 and suffers from rough shifting. At least the managed to fix that mostly with a computer flash or you can just leave it in sport mode. At least mine has the dual fuel system to keep the intake valves clean but then there’s 2x the things to go wrong and surely the oil dilution like all other DI cars. I didn’t pay much attention as I’ve done changes at 5 forever. No way I’d go 7500 with any oil in a DI engine and Toyota is calling for 0-16 of all things. I’ll be sticking to 5/20 as I’m not interested in pleasing the EPA.
No matter what you buy make sure to keep your records and receipts. You’ve been transported back to 1975 where cars became varying degrees of junk with add on “stuff” doing you little good while costing you plenty. All that’s missing is the long hair and beard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
We recently went looking around and got docked with one fact. All the manufacturers are making one form of garbage or another to varying degrees. In fact I wouldn’t touch all but a few with a 10’ pole...
So moral of the story is get a truck? Don't see a Taco's, Ridgeline, F150, RAM... etc. with CVT. Ford sure has its own engine problems but a lot less trucks in the news than sedans.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
I started this thread a few months ago and started a new one today - Why? Because my "NEW" replacement engine just went into limp-mode today. Less than 2K miles since replacement. Either the software update is an over-hyped piece of garbage causing major false-alarm headaches for owners or Hyundai just happened to replace my defective engine with a defective engine (TBD).
It's really bad what Hyundai is putting owners through that have experienced problems. Amazed how tolerant some who have had the problems are of Hyundai - the 953 "product improvement campaign" was poorly planned and executed and worse still it appears Hyundai knew that the Theta II engines were defective some years back and decided they could rectify or mitigate the problem - but clearly they badly miscalculated.

·
Registered
249 Posts
So moral of the story is get a truck? Don't see a Taco's, Ridgeline, F150, RAM... etc. with CVT. Ford sure has its own engine problems but a lot less trucks in the news than sedans.

Uhhhh, The moral of the story is twofold. First if you’re one of those guys who buys used you’re pretty much screwed. Second, whatever you’re buying you better do a lot of research before pulling that trigger. This isn’t the same buying environment that we knew even 10 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 61 Posts