Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Update 3/28/19: On 3/26, I wrote a very detail letter of concern with several probing questions to Hyundai's Consumer Affairs (email). I followed this up with a phonecall as well on 3/27. In that call, they confirmed that the email letter was already in a "file" linked with my VIN - they assigned me a case number and said I should hear back from a case manager within 3 to 5 business days. Have not heard back from them, but I did get a call from the dealership this morning saying they have been instructed to replace my engine. Said that it will probably be 5 or 6 weeks - which apparently, most of this time is for the engine to arrive (they said my car would be ready in about 3 days after it arrived).
Yikes! I'm sorry you'll be without your vehicle for that long, but hey - a new engine for free!
I picked my car up today...they only replaced the knock sensor. The tech came and told me that what my test results show do not indicate engine failure at all, so he thinks the new wiring harness and new knock sensor will do the trick. I hope he's right! I've only driven about 15 miles since the new sensor was installed...I won't feel confident for another 900+ miles. :p

Oh, and I'd like to hear your experience with the Consumer Affairs case. While I do think it sped the process up a bit for me (dealing with the dealership), the case manager did not help with anything else. I had asked for more details on this update and all it's shortcomings and numbers, etc. She said she did not have that information. She was basically there to be a middle-man with my dealership. Um...thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yikes! I'm sorry you'll be without your vehicle for that long, but hey - a new engine for free!
I picked my car up today...they only replaced the knock sensor. The tech came and told me that what my test results show do not indicate engine failure at all, so he thinks the new wiring harness and new knock sensor will do the trick. I hope he's right! I've only driven about 15 miles since the new sensor was installed...I won't feel confident for another 900+ miles. :p

Oh, and I'd like to hear your experience with the Consumer Affairs case. While I do think it sped the process up a bit for me (dealing with the dealership), the case manager did not help with anything else. I had asked for more details on this update and all it's shortcomings and numbers, etc. She said she did not have that information. She was basically there to be a middle-man with my dealership. Um...thanks.
At least I have their "loaner" car for however long it takes. Whoever fielded my call at their affairs dept. was not even familiar with what the "953" service was - didnt seem to know much at all. Hopefully, their actual case managers have a clue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
have you solved the problem? i am facing the same issue i don't want waste my time into taking any 24-hour towing service and get my car to my workshop mechanic. i wanna solve at home. by myself.
Good luck with that. The codes and test results that will come up will need to be sent to Hyundai to be analyzed. They will return with a verdict of either new wiring harness needed, new knock sensor, or new engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2018 Sonata, with 7400 miles, has been at the dealership since March 11. I just talked to the service manager on Monday 3/25, and he informed me that the engine has tested out fine, but the wiring harness is defective and needs replaced. It was ordered on March 19, so we wait. At least they loaned me an Elantra, so the controls and everything are familiar. Still doesn't replace my Sonata. In Ohio, we have a lemon law that states that if a new vehicle is inoperable for a period of 30 days, I can request a new vehicle. More complicated than that, but you get the gist. This is day 19. Tick Tock Tick Tock

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My 2018 Sonata, with 7400 miles, has been at the dealership since March 11. I just talked to the service manager on Monday 3/25, and he informed me that the engine has tested out fine, but the wiring harness is defective and needs replaced. It was ordered on March 19, so we wait. At least they loaned me an Elantra, so the controls and everything are familiar. Still doesn't replace my Sonata. In Ohio, we have a lemon law that states that if a new vehicle is inoperable for a period of 30 days, I can request a new vehicle. More complicated than that, but you get the gist. This is day 19. Tick Tock Tick Tock
When your car is ready - Make sure you get documentation that clearly indicates how long they had the car. You may very well have another issue soon (possibly same thing) that may bring your total over the 30 days. Your Lemon law would trump anything Hyundai says or does.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
have you solved the problem? i am facing the same issue i don't want waste my time into taking any 24-hour towing service and get my car to my workshop mechanic. i wanna solve at home. by myself.
If its that much trouble for you - see if you can have them uninstall the software update - its not mandatory that you have it. If the engine fails under 120K - you would still get a new one.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I don't know if im doing the software update.
should I risk it and leave it like it is?
my car is just perfect like it is
I only have 37000 miles in my engine
The risk is if you don't do it. And, the risk of doing it falls on Hyundai.

Your car is not perfect. Get all campaigns and recalls done for YOUR safety.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Your car is not perfect. G
Well that's quite a bold statement to make on a Hyundai site.

I am contemplating doing my own knock sensor wiring replacement (which Hyundai should be doing IMO to all vehicles) . Doing this will spare me from the fate and inconvenience that some have experienced - car fails update and then forced to wait several weeks till dealer gets a wiring harness to test whether your car's harness is good.

I'm less than impressed by that aspect of the "product improvement campaign", should if flunk then let the dealer take my car until Hyundai gives them the green light to order a < $25 cable.

I'm not in any big hurry to get the update done, but I have to visit the dealer sometime in 2019 to get my gas reimbursement card, maybe sometime in the next 9 months Hyundai will figure it out that it might make sense for the dealers to stock a cheap cable. Or does that make too much sense ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well that's quite a bold statement to make on a Hyundai site.

I am contemplating doing my own knock sensor wiring replacement (which Hyundai should be doing IMO to all vehicles) . Doing this will spare me from the fate and inconvenience that some have experienced - car fails update and then forced to wait several weeks till dealer gets a wiring harness to test whether your car's harness is good.

I'm less than impressed by that aspect of the "product improvement campaign", should if flunk then let the dealer take my car until Hyundai gives them the green light to order a < $25 cable.

I'm not in any big hurry to get the update done, but I have to visit the dealer sometime in 2019 to get my gas reimbursement card, maybe sometime in the next 9 months Hyundai will figure it out that it might make sense for the dealers to stock a cheap cable. Or does that make too much sense ?
I would wait until Hyundai remedies the fact that their software "upgrade" is likely riddled with false alarms and can assure that the "Decision" is purely data-based and can quickly be determined at the dealerships. It would not hurt that they stock up the dealerships with the harnesses. If you have to bring your car in - I would specify that you refuse them permission to alter your software - I dont see anywhere that indicates it is mandatory. You still get the doubled warranty - with or without the update.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Here how I look at it,,

Driving down road and engine pukes,,,, do you know how to handle situation,, or is your world come to end right there with I'm going to get killed & die attitude ?

This what Hyundai doing, trying to protect us from ourself,, engine knocking real bad, but I keep driving it,,, rather than having shop look at it, though we should generally know a knocking engine is seizure waiting to happen

They trying to multi-task the knock sensor to allow PCM to know difference between spark knock for ignition timing -vs- rod knock sound.. this new tasking being hampered by current wiring of sensor and other outside interference in the main harness,, so now they devising new sub harness to get away from outside interference sources

If you is a real driver, skip the update ("product improvement") and drive on..

They just dont teach anything in Driver Ed anymore..

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
I would wait until Hyundai remedies the fact that their software "upgrade" is likely riddled with false alarms and can assure that the "Decision" is purely data-based and can quickly be determined at the dealerships. It would not hurt that they stock up the dealerships with the harnesses. If you have to bring your car in - I would specify that you refuse them permission to alter your software - I dont see anywhere that indicates it is mandatory. You still get the doubled warranty - with or without the update.
You could very well be right about the SW update - the timing of the rollout - during the gov shutdown which included the NHTSA was interesting as I believe Hyundai/KIA was looking at an expanded NHTSA prompted recall beyond the already stipulated model years. They were being investigated for vehicles fires - some of which were caused by the bearing issue. So they may have acted to pre-empt an additional NHTSA recall and perhaps the SW wasn't completely ready for prime time.
But I see the part as not stocking the harness to spare some owners the wait as purely mickey mouse with little consideration for owners.
Not sure about the doubled warranty though - I thought it was for 120k once you submitted your vehicle to the "product improvement campaign"

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Here how I look at it,,

Driving down road and engine pukes,,,, do you know how to handle situation,, or is your world come to end right there with I'm going to get killed & die attitude ?

This what Hyundai doing, trying to protect us from ourself,, engine knocking real bad, but I keep driving it,,, rather than having shop look at it, though we should generally know a knocking engine is seizure waiting to happen

They trying to multi-task the knock sensor to allow PCM to know difference between spark knock for ignition timing -vs- rod knock sound.. this new tasking being hampered by current wiring of sensor and other outside interference in the main harness,, so now they devising new sub harness to get away from outside interference sources

If you is a real driver, skip the update ("product improvement") and drive on..

They just dont teach anything in Driver Ed anymore..
Trouble is - I consider this software throwing the vehicle into "limp-mode" as another accident waiting to happen. When mine kicked in, I was accelerating onto an on-ramp to mix in with fast traffic. My engine started to hesitate and bog badly - then I looked down to see the engine light blinking. Given some less than opportune circumstances, I can see this resulting in accidents.

·
Registered
222 Posts
what is the benefit to the customer of getting this software update IF there vehicle is well past the warranty?

Let's say you're at 135,000 ~ 150,000 miles or beyond, and your car is running fine, and you get this update, and it detects your engine is not good...

Will Hyundai replace the engine for you at no charge OR are you screwed with this ''limp mode''?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
What happens is that you hope that Hyundai and your dealer give you a goodwill replacement.
If it detects a failing engine a few hours or weeks before it fails, and you have no warranty, then the end result is the same. Failed engine detected now by the transducer knock sensor, or a few days later, when it seizes on you, is the same end result. Just have to hope Hyundai dealer gets the PriorApproval and replaces it as part of this campaign. If not, then you either trash the car or swap in another junkyard engine and keep driving until it repeats.

The real question one should ask, if it goes in limp mode due to noise, and engine still runs well, can my bluetooth OBDII device and Android/Apple phone app reset it so that I can keep driving? I am hoping that it is like any other code, cleared by my cheap scan tool. Remember, it could be the knock sensor or its wiring that can cause the issue too.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
is that true for vehicles that are still under the NHTSA recall years 2011 - 2014 ? I thought Hyundai still is obligated to replace those MY engines that fail owing to bearing failure irrespective of mileage , or has that recall been closed out ?

If the NHTSA recall is still in place ( I thought it is) then really little/no benefit to getting the "product improvement campaign" sw update, more of a downside of risking a false limp home mode situation.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What happens is that you hope that Hyundai and your dealer give you a goodwill replacement.
If it detects a failing engine a few hours or weeks before it fails, and you have no warranty, then the end result is the same. Failed engine detected now by the transducer knock sensor, or a few days later, when it seizes on you, is the same end result. Just have to hope Hyundai dealer gets the PriorApproval and replaces it as part of this campaign. If not, then you either trash the car or swap in another junkyard engine and keep driving until it repeats.

The real question one should ask, if it goes in limp mode due to noise, and engine still runs well, can my bluetooth OBDII device and Android/Apple phone app reset it so that I can keep driving? I am hoping that it is like any other code, cleared by my cheap scan tool. Remember, it could be the knock sensor or its wiring that can cause the issue too.
I guess you are right. However I am questioning the integrity of the update and how sensitive it is to detect the noise.

Can we reject this campaign if we ever decide to go to the dealer for other things like the seatbelt campaign?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I guess you are right. However I am questioning the integrity of the update and how sensitive it is to detect the noise.

Can we reject this campaign if we ever decide to go to the dealer for other things like the seatbelt campaign?
I was told by my dealership that if you go in for other service (recalls, oil change, anything) - they have to do this update. Others in this forum have stated similar responses from their dealer. Because it's a "safety" campaign, they are required to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
wondering If I am heading to engine toast

Two weeks ago I had my oil changed by mechanic. Drove over 700 miles a week later with no problem. I have had an appointment set up for the 953 campaign for two weeks. Last week I had an engine noise on my way to work one day that sounding like chirping and I honestly thought a bird might have been in the engine. It stopped and hasn't reoccurred. This weekend my A/C stops working with no prior sounds or warning- would appear to be the compressor. Tonight reversing into my driveway the engine starts making an uneven metallic sound (sorry not sure what engine knocking is supposed to sound like) on same side of engine as compressor and oil pan etc. Is this what this campaign is supposed to detect and I already have the problem symptoms appearing? Car just hit 5yr mark with 63K. No problems until now and I always use full synthetic. I am thinking about calling the dealer in the morning and seeing if I can drive the car right in. Thoughts?

21 - 40 of 61 Posts