Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2023 Tucson Limited AWD / Serenity White Pearl / Black Interior
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ran my hand across the side of the vehicle and noticed the fuel filler door feels rough to the touch. It seemed to look ok but the it felt more like plastic than even the thinnest of metals. Am I just imagining this? Yes I did search google and here but found nothing. Thanks for anything you can share!

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,791 Posts
So I ran my hand across the side of the vehicle and noticed the fuel filler door feels rough to the touch. It seemed to look ok but the it felt more like plastic than even the thinnest of metals. Am I just imagining this? Yes I did search google and here but found nothing. Thanks for anything you can share!
Don’t panic. Your bumper covers are “plastic” too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sure feels like plastic to me; would bet it is a type of polypropylene thermoplastic polymer similar to but not as flexible as the bumper thermoplastic olefin. At least that was what was used on another vehicle I had; guessing something similar on the Hyundai.

Reactions: pnthrzrule

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a magnet?
you just totally hit me with science! I can't believe I didn't just do that first. 🤦‍♂️😯

Immediately grabbed a magnet from the fridge...definitely plastic! I would never have imagined that it would be plastic. I know it's not a huge deal...was just kind of shocked to see it on a new vehicle. My bottom of the line 2013 Accent had a metal door.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure feels like plastic to me; would bet it is a type of polypropylene thermoplastic polymer similar to but not as flexible as the bumper thermoplastic olefin. At least that was what was used on another vehicle I had; guessing something similar on the Hyundai.
Magnet test reveals it is def plastic!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Magnet can be your new friend, unless you buy a brass , plastic, or aluminum magnet.

I be a rich person with the brass and aluminum magnet

Break out the 1000 and 1500 wet-dry paper and wet sand the exterior door, then buff it out smooth as glass

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Magnet can be your new friend, unless you buy a brass , plastic, or aluminum magnet.

I be a rich person with the brass and aluminum magnet

Break out the 1000 and 1500 wet-dry paper and wet sand the exterior door, then buff it out smooth as glass
You go ahead and let me know how yours turns out

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Why would I do that? Wouldn't that ruin it. Why don't you do it to yours?
First off, I DON"T own a Hyundai, 2nd, body shop fellas is next door, I get them to do it, they have stacks of wet dry paper they use after paint sets, then buff out

I drive an old POS car, and function to and from work is more important than a case of the pretty's ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First off, I DON"T own a Hyundai, 2nd, body shop fellas is next door, I get them to do it, they have stacks of wet dry paper they use after paint sets, then buff out

I drive an old POS car, and function to and from work is more important than a case of the pretty's ;)
Have fun getting your sanding done.

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,791 Posts

If you don’t own a Tucson, or any other Hyundai, why have you pitched your tent here? Have you just taken pity on us?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts