Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that the 'smart trunk' would be the deal where you wiggle your foot to open it. But instead it is:

"The hands-free smart trunk opens automatically when it senses the Proximity Key is behind the vehicle for more than three seconds."

Doesn't that sound like something that people will disable really fast?

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you're carrying a load of packages or groceries, do you really want to balance on one foot and wiggle the other under the bumper where you can't see or without hitting the trunk lid with whatever you are carrying (assuming it's a large item)?

Hyundai's implementation sounds like a fine way to do this. 3 seconds might seem long while holding something heavy but any shorter and it could pop-open when you didn't want.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Since it doesn't pop the trunk while you are driving, I assume the feature works only at very close range (standing immediately behind the trunk). Accordingly, I think it could be a great feature.

As Foxsnipe posted, I don't want to balance on one foot with an arm-full of groceries...

Maybe someone who actually has the feature will chime in here.

I didn't think I would like the back-up camera, either. But now that I have it, it's proven very useful.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Smart trunk is probably a good idea. Apparently there is a way to add it to the YF so we can see it work in real life.

However, execution is the key (no pun intended) so if it works anything like BlueLink, then I would say it will be stupid.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it works like an RFID card where you would have to practically lean against the trunk I could see it.

But not if I park the car, start to cross the street behind it and watch the trunk pop open.

And not if I had to avoid standing behind the car if I stop to talk to someone in a parking lot or garage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My C4 Corvette had the same basic thing with the key, where it would lock or unlock the doors if you were near the vehicle. After 1 week of having the vehicle, it was disabled as it was more trouble than it was worth.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sounds like a good feature, until you stand behind your car to talk to your friend/neighbor and pop! Lol
This was my first thought when I read about this the other day... I really don't think I'd like that feature without hearing some more details about exactly how it works. There are very few times I'd have my hand full enough that I'd need this. If I'm shopping and have that much stuff, I typically have a cart holding everything. If I would need this, I typically have the fob in hand and thumb on the button while walking towards the car. It pops just enough that I can use my knee to give it the extra push to open the rest of the way.

·
22,778 Posts
As Foxsnipe posted, I don't want to balance on one foot with an arm-full of groceries...
I'm not sure I can! :wink2:

I could have fun with this feature. I'd stand behind the car at a distance and listen for the click of the trunk latch opening. No click? Move in about a foot and give it the customary 3 seconds wait. Still no click? Move further in, and continue doing so, until a click is heard.

At least this would give me a "general idea" of the parameters.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure I can! :wink2:

I'd stand behind the car at a distance and listen for the click of the trunk latch opening.
See...that's the thing. It wouldn't just click, the trunk would pop open. Which has all kinds of implications.

What would have happened in the movies Goodfellas if Joe Pesci had stood near the trunk with the body in it, and a police officer was nearby?

With passenger doors the proximity key silently prepares to unlock the door if someone touches the handle. Big difference.

·
22,778 Posts
What would have happened in the movies Goodfellas if Joe Pesci had stood near the trunk with the body in it, and a police officer was nearby?
But the mob crews always drive a Caddy, yes? Or, is that feature standard on those also?

Why can't they just have the Jeanie system where you blink your eyes and it opens automatically?
Better that than Samantha's nose twitch...not good on a day you're suffering with pollen allergies. The lid would never stay down.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ideal would be a combination of voice recognition and proximity key.

Might be a tad expensive but it would be cool if you could use your voice to open things, start the engine, roll down windows.....

Well, maybe not start the engine.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Using the Ford version is a piece of cake. Groceries are easy. A cumbersome front heavy object would be a little more difficult.

However its a feature I am not so sure I would use all that much. Then again, I thought RFID keyless entry would be trivial and I won't buy a car again without it.

·
22,778 Posts
However its a feature I am not so sure I would use all that much. Then again, I thought RFID keyless entry would be trivial and I won't buy a car again without it.
Amazing, isn't it? How little things like this become embedded in to our everyday life. It gets so where we can't live without them. In time, every vehicle may have this auto trunk feature. Buyers will start to ask if it's on the vehicle they are considering.

Like personal pagers/beepers back in the day, and cell phones, today. It has become apparent, to me, that I can't live without my cell phone. And don't think for one moment that my carrier doesn't know this, too...

Completely understandable, your comment!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Sounds like a good feature, until you stand behind your car to talk to your friend/neighbor and pop! Lol
Exactly! Or you have just parallel parked and you are standing behind your car waiting to cross the street...just as you get your chance to run across the street...POP goes the trunk.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
does anyone here understand Korean?
looks like it will be a selectable option

·
Registered
1 Posts
You have to walk away from the car's proximity, wait about 10 seconds, and walk back to behind the trunk before it will activate the feature. So if you've never left the car's area then it won't go off. Also, the car has to be locked. So if you are talking with a friend, you just need to unlock the car and it will disable the feature. Pretty simple stuff and not annoying at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought that the 'smart trunk' would be the deal where you wiggle your foot to open it. But instead it is:

"The hands-free smart trunk opens automatically when it senses the Proximity Key is behind the vehicle for more than three seconds."

Doesn't that sound like something that people will disable really fast?
Indeed it is something that I disabled quickly. It turns out that you can turn off the "smart trunk" feature from the dash display, and I would recommend that you do so. I'm sure this sounded like a good feature when it was being designed, but it is more annoying than useful, unless of course, you never plan on approaching your car from the rear, then you're fine. Several times when I have approached my car from the rear in a parking lot, the car began beeping and the trunk automatically unlocked. I have also had the trunk unlock when I exited the car after parking it. It is possible the button on the fob was depressed when I got out of the car, but more experimentation will be needed to determine that. I bought a cover for the fob to help prevent accidental pushing of the buttons. I am hoping that will solve the issue. I can't find the valet function on the 2019 Sonata, and the sales people don't seem to know where it is either. On older models, the valet lock was in the trunk. If anyone from Hyundai reads these forums, I would suggest a redesign of the fob. Make the buttons recessed so that they don't accidentally get depressed. If you work for a Hyundai dealership, for the love of God, learn about the features of the car. The salesman that I talked to got several features wrong, and did not properly demonstrate new features that were added to the car. Fortunately, the Internet once again came to the rescue and allowed me to get the information that I needed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts