Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is that possible to make spare copy of the KEY? Except to go to dealer. I would like to have a spare copy of the key, just to open the door.

·
Registered
870 Posts
You can have a total of two keys programmed at a time. So only the two that came with the car would work, if you need to have another made, one of the existing ones would not work my more.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I may be mistaken but I was told that you can get more keys cut, I.e. the laser cut key, but only 2 fobs can be tied/programmed to the SFE.

I.e. you can get into the car with the extra laser key, just can't go anywhere.

I sure wish there was a way to get a 3rd "key and fob" for emergencies. I really don't like "tow to dealer" being the only option if key lost and 2nd one not handy.

At least Hyundai seems to have done pretty good at preventing you from locking yourself out with fob inside so basically loosing it would/should be the only nasty.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I may be mistaken but I was told that you can get more keys cut, I.e. the laser cut key, but only 2 fobs can be tied/programmed to the SFE.

I sure wish there was a way to get a 3rd "key and fob" for emergencies. I really don't like "tow to dealer" being the only option if key lost and 2nd one not handy.

At least Hyundai seems to have done pretty good at preventing you from locking yourself out with fob inside so basically loosing it would/should be the only nasty.
You're right. I meant only two sets that are usable. Having another key by itself won't do you much these days, the fob is what matters.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You're right. I meant only two sets that are usable. Having another key by itself won't do you much these days, the fob is what matters.
State said sources (unless you are the source). I was told you could have more then two (For example: in the event you wanted to get a [third party] remote starter installed).

·
Registered
870 Posts
I believe I read on the manual that only 2 fobs can be programmed to a vehicle at a time. The remote starter will be able to start the car but you'll need the fob to drive it.

I won't go look for it now but I guess if that was my source soon someone else will chime in and say they read the same.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
FWIW...My Wife has a 2011 Santa Fe GLS. Plain Jane. No bells /whistles. Only a push button open/close/panic fob. I had 2 keys made to open and start (after alarm was set). Cost was about $11, if I remember right. You cannot get the blanks at Lowes/Home Depot. I went to a seasoned locksmith. I have a spare on the frame and another in the house.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I believe I read on the manual that only 2 fobs can be programmed to a vehicle at a time.
This is correct.

From the manual:

Loss of the smart key

A maximum of 2 smart keys can be registered to a single vehicle.
If you happen to lose your smart key, you will not be able to start the engine. You should immediately take the vehicle and remaining key to your authorized HYUNDAI dealer(tow the vehicle, if necessary) to protect it from potential theft.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Eeesh! I hope I didn't overstep here. Was this about a Smart/Proximity Key? If it was, then I'd agree that you only get two that'll work. (at least that what I've heard)

·
Registered
334 Posts
My source was the manual and relates only to my SFE Sport 2.0T with smart/proximity key/fob.

I was concerned about the fact that I could not have a 3rd smart key at home for emergency use. Had hoped a remote starter would be able to run the car for some time but no luck. Have not found a solution so have decided to try and not be concerned about loosing my smart key.

If you're on an out-of-town or camping trip you better bring the 2nd one along too :)
Aside from getting you home, if you don't have both smart keys when the SFE is re-programmed you'll have to do it again after you get home, or buy 2 new ones and cheap they ain't.

It's a definite SFE negative that I'll have to overcome. I like having backups for the backup. One more item to check next time I buy a car. My MKZ allowed for 4 keys so I never gave it a thought when buying the SFE.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
...so have decided to try and not be concerned about loosing my smart key.
Well, I think you, and others, should be concerned if you lose your smart key. If it falls into the wrong hands, or was stolen, perhaps someone will steal your car. I believe that's why Hyundai recommends you immediately bring your car in for new key fobs and reprogramming.

Just be careful with your smart key (key fob).
John

·
Registered
1 Posts

You can gave upto 4 key fobs at one time

1 - 12 of 12 Posts