Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and can't find a good answer. I'm the second owner on a 2011 sonata with 57k miles. Specifically are the shocks and sway bars covered if they go bad? And is it covered over the 60k mile or 100k mile?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Suspension is 5yr/60 material-workmanship... crash damage/modifications from factory design are not covered

Sway bar not a wear item, maybe the bushing that hold bar, but you have to do some serious beating to wear out the bushings..

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suspension is 5yr/60 material-workmanship... crash damage/modifications from factory design are not covered

Sway bar not a wear item, maybe the bushing that hold bar, but you have to do some serious beating to wear out the bushings..
Yeah it's the bushings I think. Thanks

·
Registered
508 Posts
Shocks are not covered as they are a normal wear item.

I am not too sure about the sway bar bushings, but my feeling is they are also considered a normal wear item. Although, I cannot imagine them being worn out from normal use in only 57k miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
They'll only be covered if you have the extended warranty and can prove that damage wasn't done by normal wear and tear which I'm sure you can prove do to the car only have about 57k on it

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've searched and can't find a good answer. I'm the second owner on a 2011 sonata with 57k miles. Specifically are the shocks and sway bars covered if they go bad? And is it covered over the 60k mile or 100k mile?
Probably not since IMO shocks are a normal wear item and you have modded or attempted to mod your suspension with the lower springs as mentioned in another thread and it appears something went wrong or you had problems doing that. Since you "played", you might have to "pay".

Larry

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Probably not since IMO shocks are a normal wear item and you have modded or attempted to mod your suspension with the lower springs as mentioned in another thread and it appears something went wrong or you had problems doing that. Since you "played", you might have to "pay".

Larry
This.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Also, your car is only under warranty for 5yr/60k miles. You don't get the 10yr/100k warranty as your are the second owner. The 10yr/100k power-train warranty is for original owners only.

·
Registered
141 Posts
They'll only be covered if you have the extended warranty and can prove that damage wasn't done by normal wear and tear which I'm sure you can prove do to the car only have about 57k on it
I think your statement is only partially correct. Both the original and subsequent owners have powertrain components covered for 5yr/60k mi under new car warranty. An original owner's non-transferable powertrain warranty then kicks in for an additional 5 yr and 40k mi [total 10yr/100k mi] of coverage for powertrain components. [My understanding is that subsequent owners of CPO vehicles get same warranty as original owners.]

If normal wear and tear item, neither new nor subsequent owners would be covered.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Also, your car is only under warranty for 5yr/60k miles. You don't get the 10yr/100k warranty as your are the second owner. The 10yr/100k power-train warranty is for original owners only.
this is not entirely correct, if you purchased the sonata as a hyundai certified car you do get the 10/100k on the power train.

·
Registered
729 Posts
this is not entirely correct, if you purchased the sonata as a hyundai certified car you do get the 10/100k on the power train.
I've never heard of that nor do I see that in any of the Hyundai Warranty documentation. It may be that a specific dealer would offer/honor that.

"Covers repair or replacement of powertrain components (i.e., selected engine and transmission/transaxle components), originally manufactured or installed by Hyundai that are defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance. Coverage applies to original owner only, effective with 2004 model year and newer model-year vehicles. On 1999-2003 model years, coverage applies to original owner and immediate family members (i.e., wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson).

Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5-Year/60,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (i.e., taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.)."

Page 23: https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/assurance_pdf/AME-ALL14MY.pdf

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hyundai Certified Pre-Owned
  • A 10-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty+ plus the remainder of the 5-Year/60,000-Mile new vehicle limited warranty
  • A Comprehensive 150-Point* Inspection
  • 10-Year/Unlimited Mileage Roadside Assistance+ & 1st-Day Rental Car reimbursement for covered repairs
Every Hyundai Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle also comes with:

• 90 Days of No-Charge
    Satellite Radio
  • And the peace-of-mind provided by a complimentary CARFAX® Vehicle History Report

·
Registered
729 Posts
I stand corrected.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts