Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just had my engine replaced in my 2013 Sonata GLS @ 95,750 miles.

The receipt states REMAN. Does this mean the engine was re manufactured, and if so, what are the implications for me?

The dipstick is red, also, and I just checked the oil, and it was clear, not colored at all? Does anyone know if the red dipstick color signifies anything, and does anyone know why the oil would be clear? I have never seen engine oil look like that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Interesting they gave you synthetic oil. Mine got semi synthetic Quaker oil when they did mine. About the same miles and same year as yours too.

Mine is about to go back in to get looked at. I’m 7000 miles in and last night it knocked for a few seconds after starting (sat for about 3 hours during a dinner I met some friends for an hour from home) and this morning I started it again with the hood open to hear it better and it’s smoking at the rear of the engine. I have an appt Tuesday. Mine was also a REMAN

Hello. I just had my engine replaced in my 2013 Sonata GLS @ 95,750 miles.

The receipt states REMAN. Does this mean the engine was re manufactured, and if so, what are the implications for me?

The dipstick is red, also, and I just checked the oil, and it was clear, not colored at all? Does anyone know if the red dipstick color signifies anything, and does anyone know why the oil would be clear? I have never seen engine oil look like that.

View attachment 445062

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting they gave you synthetic oil. Mine got semi synthetic Quaker oil when they did mine. About the same miles and same year as yours too.
Why would it be so clear? With my older engine, I always used 5w20 full synthetic, not blended, and at best it was a light honey color on the dipstick

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just had my engine replaced last week. My receipt says the same as yours. I also noticed the red dip stick. My oil also looked very pale. I will be switching to 5w30 mobile 1 synthetic at the next oil change. I’ve read our engines suffer from fuel dilution due to direct injection. Only way to combat that is more frequent oil changes and a heavier oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts

Mine is about to go back in to get looked at. I’m 7000 miles in and last night it knocked for a few seconds after starting (sat for about 3 hours during a dinner I met some friends for an hour from home) and this morning I started it again with the hood open to hear it better and it’s smoking at the rear of the engine. I have an appt Tuesday. Mine was also a REMAN
Justin keep us updated on what you find out. This is not what I wanted to hear.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just had my engine replaced last week. My receipt says the same as yours. I also noticed the red dip stick. My oil also looked very pale. I will be switching to 5w30 mobile 1 synthetic at the next oil change. I’ve read our engines suffer from fuel dilution due to direct injection. Only way to combat that is more frequent oil changes and a heavier oil.

5w30 sounds good. Is this the same as SAE-30?

·
Registered
393 Posts
This might help.
Great video... Interesting...!! Sooo if the orange dipstick is in there hyundai wants You to add more oil in the engine according to the orange dipstick level wich is a litle higher why? would they do that? im wondering? when the yellow one in there seemed to be fine & accurate to begin with.allong right?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Why? because too many useless consumers can't check their oil or top it off as needed. A little more oil means a little further before it permanently stalls.

5w30 isn't the same as SAE30

Oil will darken with time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts