Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice from you guys. So I've recently bought a 2015 Sport w/nav, premium sound etc. CarPlay update was not installed. I went online to myHyundai to register my VIN, already registered to another account :dry: . Ok, no biggie. Started the process through customer support and was awaiting response. Got that squared up.

I figured while I waited to hear back, I would follow the steps here to upgrade via direct download thread. Felt like I had all the tools and info needed to proceed.

Kicked the download off on my computer. Everything is going fine until I see "this sd card needs to be formatted to continue". I click to proceed, and get "please reinsert sd card....". Can't exactly remember the message but anyone that has done it should be familiar with the step. Regardless, it never continues to install.

Now, granted the sd card was recognized from the beginning. However after this mishap, I get "sd card needs to be reformatted to continue" locally on my pc. When I pop it back into the car it tells me navigation unavailable. I checked the lock on the side, so no that's not the issue.

Would you just take it to the dealer at this point? IF anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Sidebar: I was able to update to CarPlay and Android Auto via USB stick. I love it and it works fine. My only gripe is the update process. It's very unclear. I work in IT and still got confused. Some have updated with SD card and others with USB. Hyundai has how-to video's for both methods. What am I missing? Do they direct you to the specific method via myHyundai based on your model? Maybe I got lost at that point not using myHyundai.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ohhh boy I remember when I did this on my new(ish) sonata. It's not toast, at least it shouldn't be. From what I was told by a Hyundai rep when I freaked out that Navi was unavailable, they said reinsert the card into the PC, use file explorer to format it once more, and then reinitiate the download and install. Keep in mind it has to be an OEM SD card from hyundai, as they are tied to your vin. That apple carplay Android auto update also holds 1 free update of the maps which is installed as well. Try reinstalling, and it might take a couple reinstalls for it to finally catch. I think I reinstalled about 4 times before the head unit recognized all the files. Once the head unit bricked while installing the update and that's when I freaked out, but there's a fix for that as well. You'll be okay, unless there's another reason as to why this is happening.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Also, the SD card must be reinserted issue is prevalent. I got around that issue by using another computer. Turns out my laptop couldn't read/write files as quick as the program wanted it to. The USB and sd card method works on all models that allow you to update

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, thanks for the reply. I just knew I screwed up my new car lol. I do have another computer I can try it on. I will give it a try tonight and report back!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:grin2: Worked like a charm. Dunno why my two other computers gave me grief. Anyway, thanks a ton!

Also, the SD card must be reinserted issue is prevalent. I got around that issue by using another computer. Turns out my laptop couldn't read/write files as quick as the program wanted it to. The USB and sd card method works on all models that allow you to update

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
How old is the computer / and or card reader ? I had a problem years ago with a card reader. Bought some 8GB cards and this computer would not read the card but my office it worked fine. The BIOS in the card reader was old and would only read 2 Gb cards or below. I don't now the steps up, but maybe an 8 Gb was too much for the card reader of an older computer. Just like the USB reader of older Hyundai cars, some won't go above a certain size memory.

Glad you got it fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The initial one was probably eight or so years old. The one that I got it to work on is under two years. I didn't even think about that being the problem. I should probably look and see if there are any BIOS updates.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I don't think a BIOS update would do any good. It's the BIOS in the card reader, not the motherboard that determines how large of a card it can read. If this is a laptop, you can buy an external card reader. If a PC, you can buy one that should replace it depending on were in the PC they put them. Most times they are a replacement to a floppy slot or DVD slot. You should be able to find replacement that would fit. Plus the card reader BIOS would determine how fast it can read the card.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts