Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with an automatic gearbox. Been having trouble with my gear shifter freezing, locking up and being difficult to move. Is the display for the gears (P R N D + -) to the left of the shifter supposed to light up? I swore they lit up before, but I didn't own the car long enough and i've had so many i'm not sure. I don't know any other Santa Fe drivers to ask. If it is supposed to light up, that must be part of the problem. I'm talking about the display on the center console itself, not the lights on the dash. This all started while I was wiring up some external driving lights to a switch through the ash tray. If that console is supposed to light up, I must have fried something.

·
Registered
162 Posts
YES, they are supposed to be lit up when the lights are on. The P,R,N,D, on the left side and the -, and + on the right. Search this forum for how to remove the console and replace the bulbs. The bulbs can be ordered through the dealership or on many internet OEM parts websites. Not too hard a job - after you've done it one or more times.

Be Safe, Mark V.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello
My wife has a 2004 santa fe same problem. I have searched but obviously not well enough. I have logged on to https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/ but cant seem to find how to replace those bulbs. When I search this forum with google custom search i get alot of random answers. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello
My wife has a 2004 santa fe same problem. I have searched but obviously not well enough. I have logged on to https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/ but cant seem to find how to replace those bulbs. When I search this forum with google custom search i get alot of random answers. Thanks in advance.
Not that hard to do. I just did my 2004 automatic. Need to remove the console which requires removing the shifter knob. Then the light on the + - side is easy to get to but the one on the PRND side is very tight and awkward to replace - expect to get your fingers scratched up. I can't remember the number on the bulb but they are available at Walmart.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got to the bulbs but i cant get them out! Is the plastic base part of the bulb? Am i suppose to get the wires out from it or the bulb from the housing?

·
22,788 Posts
If your absolutely certain that the replacement bulbs you purchased are the correct ones for this application, the answer about the base part is in your hand. If they aren't the correct ones, however...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont have the new bulbs yet. I have the console all opened up and i have one good bulb that i need to test on the other side to determine if i have power to all the bits before i have this car towed to the shop. Im not worried about the bulbs yet but trying to find the source of my malfunction with why the gear shifter isnt working properly. Nothing looks broken or jammed, the fuses are fine, the sensors appear functional. But it went wonky the exact moment the light stopped working so its my best clue.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hints from March 2013 - http://www.hyundai-forums.com/195-sm-2001-2006-santa-fe/155728-prnd-light-s.html

Some used the 194 bulb from Walmart. I bought OEM ones with the colored condom cover.

The wedge bulb is just "wedged" into the socket. It will pull straight out once you find a good way to grip it. Clean the contacts and try out the new bulb. If it doesn't work then remove and fiddle with the contacts. Mine was going on and off until i tightened up the contacts. All lights functioning now...

Be Safe, Mark V.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hyundai sells the bulbs with the harness/socket assembly

You can simply buy 194/168 type bulb and if carefull, you can peel the condom off the old bulb if it still pliable.. green or blue marks-a-lot marker could be used to color the bulb I suppose.

Not a hard job to change them, slight time consuming getting to where you can be able to swap the bulbs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help guys. The bulb turned out in fact to be this wedge thing mentioned above. It's just the glass with the wire bits wrapped around the base, no metal butt end to the things at all. Never seen anything like it. I ended up using a pair of channel locks which I set about the right size with a bandana to protect the glass, popped right out.

The one bulb was blown, once I transferred the good one to the other side, it worked too. My problems arn't electrical. I have to take my car to the shop. I'll update the message posts about how that works out, i've had a couple comments and private messages from others about the same problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with an automatic gearbox. Been having trouble with my gear shifter freezing, locking up and being difficult to move. Is the display for the gears (P R N D + -) to the left of the shifter supposed to light up? I swore they lit up before, but I didn't own the car long enough and i've had so many i'm not sure. I don't know any other Santa Fe drivers to ask. If it is supposed to light up, that must be part of the problem. I'm talking about the display on the center console itself, not the lights on the dash. This all started while I was wiring up some external driving lights to a switch through the ash tray. If that console is supposed to light up, I must have fried something.
I’m hoping many years later u have an answer cos mine used to light up but last couple days doesn’t... I think I’ll chase up in the fuse box first but failing that did u ever get a reply ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts