Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy I work with has a 2011 Hyundai Elantra....He said every once in a while when he starts the cars he gets a quick "grinding" noise from the timing chain area. A mechanic confirmed this and told him to take it to Hyundai. He bought the car used and has 80,000 miles on it---Hyundai said it needs a new engine and it's not covered. However, there's no check engine light, does not burn oil and drives completely normal other than this quick noise at random start ups. I told him this doesn't sound right and should call Hyundai corporate. I think he's getting scammed----Also, the mechanic said everything sounded and looked good visually.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,744 Posts
cessna152flyboy said:
He bought the car used and has 80,000 miles on it---Hyundai said it needs a new engine and it's not covered.
As I understand it the 10year/100,000mile powertrain warranty only applies to the original owner. If that's the case the dealer are correct about it not being covered.
What is it you expect Hyundai corporate to do?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I understand it the 10year/100,000mile powertrain warranty only applies to the original owner. If that's the case the dealer are correct about it not being covered.
What is it you expect Hyundai corporate to do?
My concern is the dealer stating he needs a new engine when it appears he does not-----just to simply get their perspective and get it logged.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
My concern is the dealer stating he needs a new engine when it appears he does not-----just to simply get their perspective and get it logged.
well it been said many times many ways - usually prudent to get a 2nd opinion - by a competent Indy.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
and what did the mechanic and Hyundai give as a specific reason it needs a new engine, how did they make that determination ?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,744 Posts
just to simply get their perspective and get it logged.
I'm sure their perspective will be that one of their dealer network's qualified vehicle technicians says the car needs a new engine and who are they to argue.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The problem sounds like a bad cam chain tensioner. When the dealer diagnosed the problem, some paper work should have been supplied that may shed light onto the situation.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem sounds like a bad cam chain tensioner. When the dealer diagnosed the problem, some paper work should have been supplied that may shed light onto the situation.
That's what his mechanic said it is---- About a $300 fix. How they came to the conclusion it's a bad engine is beyond me and I think borderline criminal. I will check with him regarding the report...

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
My guess is that there may be more to this story. As an example there are some engines in the GM family that if I see a specific second concern and it needs drive chains, I will NOT recommend doing chains, I will recommend an engine because based on past experience it becomes an "ever since" scenario. Been bitten twice. Never again. Not saying that is the case here. Just saying that there may be two sides to the story. If the owner feels he or she was being misled there are also State agencies, such as Consumer Protection that you can work through although...Since no repair was done no harm was done it may be a non issue from their perspective.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
That's what his mechanic said it is---- About a $300 fix. How they came to the conclusion it's a bad engine is beyond me and I think borderline criminal. I will check with him regarding the report...
when you have a tensioner that has failed and you hear a grinding noise - an inspection of the chain, guides and cam lobes need to be done - you can usually only do that by taking something off the engine - like the valve cover. It could be a $300 repair, if could be a lot more than that . But I would never take a car to a dealer unless it was under warranty .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts